Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 12 volt Cigarette/Round sockets at Dash Loss Power
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 12 volt Cigarette/Round sockets at Dash Loss Power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/20 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like using a test light to check fuses. Get it at any Auto store or department Looks like an old fashion ice pick with a light in the clear or nearly so handle and a wire coming out...

First clip the wire on a good ground (IE Under the hook I often pick the brake lines) now touch the tip to a KNOWN good 12 volt (The big bolts/screws at the bottom of the BCC the one marked MAIN) bright light. GOOD

Now touch the metal tab inside the small window on the top of the fuse. both of them

LIGHT LIGHT Good
DARK DARK no test but in the specific it's not that fuse anyway
Light dark or Dark light DING DING DING you found it.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep I think I will pick one up tomorrow and do a retest, checking fuses by eye did not pan out..

However there is about a hundred fuses located in 3 areas on this motorhome and so many listed as spares with fuses in them, nobody at the factory took the time to list where is goes..

[emoticon]

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In one of my vehicles its actually soldered to the back of the receptacle and is very tiny, easy to miss, impossible to see when installed in the dash.

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

sehunter

Rancho Murieta, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/20 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know which bounder you have but mine has four 12v fuse boxes. One under the hood I believe by WH, one on top of the dash on the drivers side, one behind the same door for the 110 breaker box in the bedroom and one outside the entrance door with the slide open behind a removeable metal plate with more 12v fuses than any other place.

Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A little off topic, but chasing down fuses is why I replaced all mine with lit fuses, so I can easily tell when they go.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I like using a test light to check fuses. Get it at any Auto store or department Looks like an old fashion ice pick with a light in the clear or nearly so handle and a wire coming out...

First clip the wire on a good ground (IE Under the hook I often pick the brake lines) now touch the tip to a KNOWN good 12 volt (The big bolts/screws at the bottom of the BCC the one marked MAIN) bright light. GOOD

Now touch the metal tab inside the small window on the top of the fuse. both of them

LIGHT LIGHT Good
DARK DARK no test but in the specific it's not that fuse anyway
Light dark or Dark light DING DING DING you found it.

Yes most people don't realize that the fuses have little windows in the top of the fuse for testing. These windows are actually the top of the blades that plug into the fuse block. Just probe the positive of your meter or test light into the hole and your negative on a good ground and if it lights you have power.

A good fuse will light when you probe both windows.
A bad fuse will light on one window only.
If no light on either window there is no power to that fuse or your ground is no good.

[image]

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sehunter wrote:

I don't know which bounder you have but mine has four 12v fuse boxes. One under the hood I believe by WH, one on top of the dash on the drivers side, one behind the same door for the 110 breaker box in the bedroom and one outside the entrance door with the slide open behind a removeable metal plate with more 12v fuses than any other place.

Bingo

Yes I found the 4th location under the hood above the radiator and it was fuse #22 that was blown, it was a large 20 amp fuse, after 5 years of ownership I never knew that fuse box was there.

Yes 4 locations of fuse boxes on my Bounder motorhome, why so many locations I will never understand.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 12 volt Cigarette/Round sockets at Dash Loss Power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.