Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: 2020 F-53 V-8 Specs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 2020 F-53 V-8 Specs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

The new 7.3L is certified under the using the EPA's Dyno certification. These numbers report lower than the former Chassis-certification numbers.

When Ford was required to do the Dyno certification in the F-SuperDuty Chasis Cab, the V10 became rated at 288 HP, and motorhome became 320 HP. Although some programming changed at this time as well, to reduce emissions under the new greenhouse gas standard for medium-duty trucks.

Here is the PDF describing the testing differences:
https://media-cf.assets-cdk.com/teams/re........ssisCertificationVSDynoCertification.pdf

While the 6.7L diesel does have mechanical differences between light-medium and true MDT applications, Ford has published in a separate document that 7.3L gas engine is mechanically the same, and has the same programming whether chassis or dyo certified.

So, this is an improvement in raw HP over the current 320 HP V10.

The 365HP V10 was only chassis certified. This number should be compared to the 7.3L's chassis certification, where it's rated for 430 horsepower.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia........-gas-power-torque-heavy-duty-pickup.html

Good information-- thanks.

The world of government emission ratings continues to get more complex.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

The new 7.3L is certified under the using the EPA's Dyno certification. These numbers report lower than the former Chassis-certification numbers.

Certification has to do with gross vehicle weight. It has been a long time since I was involved with this, but I think over 10,000 GVW it is dyno certified. (There are some differences in the chassis test for above and below 8,500 GVW.) The certification process proves that it meets government specified emissions. It also generates an MPG which is used in Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) calculation as well as HP and torque ratings.

IIRC, dyno cert is "engine only". No transmission, etc. I believe it requires "extended" (minutes) operation at or near full power. A chassis certification has very brief (seconds) of operation at full power.

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Certification has to do with gross vehicle weight. It has been a long time since I was involved with this, but I think over 10,000 GVW it is dyno certified. (There are some differences in the chassis test for above and below 8,500 GVW.) The certification process proves that it meets government specified emissions. It also generates an MPG which is used in Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) calculation as well as HP and torque ratings.

IIRC, dyno cert is "engine only". No transmission, etc. I believe it requires "extended" (minutes) operation at or near full power. A chassis certification has very brief (seconds) of operation at full power.

Yes, this is based on GVWR. 10,000 and below must be chassis certified. 10-14,000 pounds may be either (almost always chassis certified because the resulting numbers are bigger), and above 14,000 GVWR MUST be Dyno certified.

The Dyno certification is the stricter test that results in lower numbers because all accessories must be engaged for the duration of the test, from engine fan to EGR. Which is the opposite of the chassis certification where those components are tested at their "ready" state, and because of the short duration of that test, those components don't drag down power.

So... The Dyno cert is probably a realistic number for the most extreme conditions, like climbing a mountain pass in the summer. While the higher higher chassis-cert numbers are more of a best case, i.e. first pull onto the freeway on a cool day...

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

carringb wrote:

The 365HP V10 was only chassis certified. This number should be compared to the 7.3L's chassis certification, where it's rated for 430 horsepower.

So than the new EPA laws are dumbing down the F-53 motor since 2016.

It would be nice to see those higher HP and Torque in the new V-8 in the F-53 but we wont unless 5 Star Tuning comes up with a program to unleash the extra power, however the EPA is also going after those that make products like 5 Star that retunes the motors.

So for now 2006 to 2015 V-10's in the F-53 have about the same performance as the new V-8 in the F-53.

I have the full Banks Power Pack System with long tube headers and the ram cold air intake with the 5 Star Tuning on top of that and I am producing a little over 400 HP and 500 lbs of torque.

I wonder what that same system would do on the V-8 in the F-53..

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 01:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

carringb wrote:

So than the new EPA laws are dumbing down the F-53 motor since 2016.

Not at all. I think you missed the point. The new certification method produces lower numbers on paper, that should not be compared to the old numbers. The new 7.3L gas motor makes 430 horsepower when tested to the same method that the 365 HP V10 was tested to.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My only issue with all this is the way he manuf give tonte power. Yes the motor makes its HP at a certain rpm. But they take it away with torque management, (drive by wire, timing and fuel reduction etc.) Meaning under full throttle your not getting 100% throttle opening at a given RPM. Sometimes it's only 70% throttle opening when you want 100%. This is where the 5star tune comes in.

I can't wait to have mine tuned.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> 2020 F-53 V-8 Specs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.