cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got a Amazon fire TV stick

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
I got an Amazon fireTV stick and love it as I can now download Netflix and Amazon videos to my Samsung S10 phone and then mirror them to my TV via the fire stick. (using the "smart view" setting on the smartphone)(I also put in a 256 GB SD card so I can have lots of movies ready to watch)
It is the HD 1080p model.
It worked so well thought I would get the 4K model (has a few more features) for my main HD TV and use the HD TV stick in my MH. The 4K model sez will still work on a non 4K TV.
Well guess what got the 4K model and it does most things but doesn't mirror from my S10 using "smart view" to the TV via the 4K fire stick. Did a search and found they took that option out when they came out with the 4K model. There are some third-party mirroring apps but couldn't get one to work.
Sending it back and getting another 1080p HD model.
Buyer beware.
I did all this as I am going through Canada and Alaska and cell service may be limited. I know we should be into nature and not TV but may have some rainy days.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
31 REPLIES 31

MrWizard
This thread topic is 3 years old, a good place to gather some info, but resurrecting old threads with new posts can be confusing,
When you read thru an old topic it is better to just read it, digest it, then if you have questions, start a New thread specific to your question, in such a fast griwing and evolving area as streaming entertainment, there have been many changes 3 years, new devices, new services, new apps for old devices, even 4K video streams
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
austinjenna wrote:

Why do you have to have a firestick to download them to your phone?
You can just download them right from the app on your phone, then just use an HDMI from the phone to the tv.

Never heard of a phone with an HDMI connector.

Never heard of a phone that can video out of a USB-C through an adapter to an HDMI connection.

Living in the Stone age?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

Why do you have to have a firestick to download them to your phone?
You can just download them right from the app on your phone, then just use an HDMI from the phone to the tv.

Never heard of a phone with an HDMI connector.

Never heard of a phone that can video out of a USB-C through an adapter to an HDMI connection.

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, read through this one, ROFLMAO.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting a bit lost with all the "add-on" / "app" etc stuff. What exactly is Kodi? I went to that link... and it looks like an add-on that allows you to get more add-ons? Why not just "add on" those add-ons or apps directly? What does Kodi do?

I also found it interesting that there is a "disclaimer" about viewing copyrighted material, and they tell you how to use a VPN to get around "government surveillance"... I may have been born yesterday, but the real reason for using a VPN in this instance is for illegally watching copyrighted video / movies / material.

Am I wrong about that?

From the link:

".....NOTE: We do not encourage the violation of the copyright laws. But, what if you end up streaming content from an illegitimate source unintentionally? It is not always easy to tell the difference between a legit and illegal source.

So, before you start streaming on Kodi, here's how to get VPN protection in 3 simple steps......"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
pconroy328 wrote:
My Firestick has started locking up the remote - religiously. Happens now about every 3rd day. Extremely annoying.

Same here. Both the Spectrum and the Vizio remotes are doing it. New tv has smartcast built in so we are now accessing netflix and amazon using that remote instead of the firestick remote. I'll unplug the firestick and see whats happening then. I'll get back.
Puma 30RKSS

vipar
Explorer
Explorer
It is important when viewing the speed of the Internet and the quality of the broadcast itself

huntram
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a Roku stick to go along with our Visable by Verizon phone plan. $40 a month or with Party plan $25 a month for truly unlimited everything including hotspot! Right now phones are limited but our Pixel 3a was compatible. We are at about 100GB of hotspot usage this month with just a couple days left with no problems. It just uses Verizon 4g towers which are just about everywhere. By the end of 2020 all of Verizon 3G will be disabled anyway. Also you don't need to know the other PartyPay people as everyone is billed separately! So far a big win for us!
Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2014 Ram 3500, Western Brown, Laramie, CrewCab Dually, Aisin Trans, CTD, 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Roku device. It will do all this and we don't feel we are adding to the ownership of the world by Amazon.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about buying Amazon Firestick. But I don't know which one to choose. I've read about the difference fire tv cube vs fire stick, but it would be great to find out other people's thoughts. What Fire TV device do you use and are you pleased with it?

MrWizard

The HDMI alternate mode lets a user connect the reversible USB-C connector with the HDMI source devices (mobile, tablet, laptop). This cable connects to video display/sink devices using any of the native HDMI connectors. This is an HDMI cable, in this case a USB-C to HDMI cable.

Mobile phones
Many recent mobile phones can produce output of HDMI video via either a micro-HDMI connector or MHL output.Some older phones may use SlimPort to achieve similar result.

The HDMI Alternate Mode for USB-C allows HDMI-enabled sources with a USB-C connector to directly connect to standard HDMI display devices, without requiring an adapter. The standard was released in September 2016, and supports all HDMI 1.4b features such as video resolutions up to Ultra HD 30 Hz, and Consumer Electronic Control (CEC).Previously, the similar DisplayPort Alternate Mode could be used to connect to HDMI displays from USB Type-C sources, but where in that case, active adapters were required to convert from DisplayPort to HDMI, HDMI Alternate Mode connects to the display natively.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
New info is always appreciated
In the beginning there were HDMI devices that used USB power, whether they needed more power than HDMI port provided or whether HDMI protocols and specs have been updated I do not know
I use HDMI cable from laptop to TV, to stream Amazon video, because they are in close proximity, i do not need to cast from my phone
And do not feel the need to wireless remote control of everything in my RV
My comments were only meant to clarify why some users would prefer Fire stick over HDMI cable when displaying video from the phone
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
How many movies can you watch via HDMI cable from phone, while charging the phone ? Zero

How many can you watch until phone battery is dead ??

Where is your TV located, how long of and HDMI cable do you need for the phone to rest in an accessible safe tlocation in you

1- unlimited using a QI charging pad or see below for adapter
2-See #1
3-about 12 inches

You can also buy these - USB-C to HDMI Adapter that charges at the same time Link

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
No comment about the external power source for the FireStick incorrectly stated? Never mind, it's been amended. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"