Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Introduction post
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Introduction post

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe a start would be what size and type of camper do you want on the back the truck. Some forum members have popup on a DRW and others have a triple slide hard side.

What you will need are tie down points to the truck and a rubber bed mat. Beyond that we cannot really give you advice until we know how little or big you plan to go and whether you will be towing something behind it.

* This post was edited 01/30/20 03:07pm by Bedlam *

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't quit my job, sell my house and belonging and take to the road without a backup plan until I was sure my spouse and I could live in less than 50 square feet. (Actually, I already know and that answer is not just "no", but H.E. double hockey sticks "NO" is bold print with lots of exclamation points)

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/20 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome.

Your plan is not at all weird. A year prior to retirement, we bought a used camper and then a truck to carry it home from the dealer. It sat in the driveway unused for close to a year. I did some tinkering but we literally did not use it even once. After we downsized and sold the house, I put in my retirement notice. Two months later, the house closed and we took off as full timers.

We kept up the travel for a couple of years until the lure of new grandkids was too much for my wife. We rented for a while and eventually bought another house. I still miss the full timing and often travel for several months. Next trip is planned for March probably until the end of June or maybe mid July.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Welcome, we do have a lot of people here who just want to insult, put down and generally disparage anything someone posts. Just block those jerks and jump in.

I like this forum's ability to block people.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome! Other then tie downs I would not make any changes to your truck. I would suggest if you have no experience with truck campers that you go out and find a cheap but decent used one to use for a while. The experience you get from that will help you decide what you may want in a new one.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like others have said, run the truck as is before jumping on the "upgrade the suspension" band wagon.

Torklift Stableload work wonders for my truck.

Probably the worst part of owning a truck camper is loading it on the truck. Sometimes I nail it 20 minutes, other times it borders on taking an hour... this is all due to where I store the truck camper and don't have level ground leading up to my shop.

Here's my load up video which went pretty well.

I never take the camper off the truck when traveling, because I have a motorcycle to ride around and check out the areas I go.

bwlyon

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/20 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not mess with your suspension until you have purchased your camper and actually hauled it around for a while, as your suspension may be set up just right. No sense in potentially wasting money on something you really didn’t need. Definitely get your camper and see if you like the lifestyle before you sell off everything! We love our camper as we move frequently and seldom stay in one place for more than two days. However, we agree that if we were to stay someplace for more than a week on a regular basis a fifth wheel would be better for us. For now the TC is perfect!

Mote

Hoosier State

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/20 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy from a fellow Hoosier,
We're down in the southeast portion of the state.

Good group of people here that will be happy to help you spend some money : )

* This post was edited 01/31/20 07:28am by Mote *

2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/20 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hooray! Another dreamer.

Welcome to the forum.

In our younger years with our boys we had a Camper and then a Motorhome. We abandoned that method of outings and did tents until they left home.
in the early 90's we decided to see if we wanted to do another camper so we found an OLD 6 pac 8' camper self contained bath n shower too. Only paid $500 for it. We did that for 2 years and decided we loved it. So we searched for another newer or used camper. I had dealt with roof leaks on every camper and that motorhome which was brand new. So when we saw the Northerlite and the Bigfoot we said that is what we want. NO leaks from seams.

We got our BFoof 20 years ago and it now has almost 200,000 miles on it and it has been on 2 great f250's. We have been across the country many times, across Canada and all the way to Prudhoe Bay and across the Yukon.

One thing that is important. You and your wife have to enjoy each others company and be patient when moving around in the camper..,hahaaa.

Good luck in your search!

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 12:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, that crazy dream ain’t just in your head! Others have the same dream!
You’re over halfway there with the truck. And with that truck, there really isn’t a TC on the market it won’t handle, either stock for lighter units or with some mods like you’re thinking for the big boys.
If you’re not ready to take the big plunge yet, why not get an older camper and get after some campin part time as your work/life allows.
Anywhere from a few to 10 grand will get a very nice and serviceable older used camper.
And wait on suspension until you know what you’ll be hauling. Your truck will get most all campers “home” without any help then you can do what is needed for the specific weight, if anything.
Have fun!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Introduction post
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.