cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

riding nose high

Road_Phantom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking into getting a Grand design Reflection: 150 Series 260RD. My truck is a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 with the diesel. Presently I own a Keystone Sprinter. It rides nose high, which puts a lot of strain on the back axle which will probably wear out the bearings prematurely. I'd like to reach out to someone with a similar setup and whether or not the truck-trailer rides level?
16 REPLIES 16

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Likes to tow wrote:
Why can't the blocks under the springs on the truck be removed to lower the back of the truck?? I've heard it puts a strain on the drive line by changing the angle but this same thing happens when you put a really heavy load on your truck. The factory puts several of these spacers under every truck and I can't see why some of it can't be removed

2018 RAM 2500 has coil springs or the air ride system.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why can't the blocks under the springs on the truck be removed to lower the back of the truck?? I've heard it puts a strain on the drive line by changing the angle but this same thing happens when you put a really heavy load on your truck. The factory puts several of these spacers under every truck and I can't see why some of it can't be removed

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
FWIW, not being able to get to a toilet (or anything else) is a personal choce. To us it would be no bother to push a button for 15 seconds in order to get to a facility. So that would not even enter into the equation for a trailer we ohterwise like.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Road Phantom wrote:
I'm looking into getting a Grand design Reflection: 150 Series 260RD. My truck is a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 with the diesel. Presently I own a Keystone Sprinter. It rides nose high, which puts a lot of strain on the back axle which will probably wear out the bearings prematurely. I'd like to reach out to someone with a similar setup and whether or not the truck-trailer rides level?

Height issues can be address in a number of ways. Lippert Correct Track raises the trailer 2". Sub-frames or axle relocations also raise the trailer. However my question would be, why do you want a trailer where you can not get to the bathroom or bedroom with the slide in? They have models with the stairs are on the door side that do not get blocked by the main slide.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The equalizer bars allow a multi axle trailers tires to step over different terrain but that doesn't mean all tires on that side carry the same weight while articulating. The trailer would have to be very nose high to place more weight on the rear axle though like we see at the start of deer season a 4wd pickup with tall off road tires moving a buddies 5er to the deer woods.
Or from NE OK to western CO during elk season as my neighbor found out. He calls me from Raton NM and says the rear axle tires are worn almost smooth...whats happening. He had put 38" mudders on his '08 3500 srw Dodge 4wd to pull his inlaws 26' 5er with 14" D load tires off road getting into the hunt camp.

I've found my tri axle trailers when out of level can place more load on the axle closest to the low end than a tandem axle trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think that if you had enough travel in the equalizer the 2 axles would carry the same load. If you are unloading the front, might want to increase that travel, or make sure you are near center of travel at the slope you ride.
I know that a semi-trailer that rides nose down is less stable.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
It rides nose high, which puts a lot of strain on the back axle which will probably wear out the bearings prematurely. I'd like to reach out to someone with a similar setup and whether or not the truck-trailer rides level?

I've never had any bearing issues but did have tire issues when pulling my contracted day run out of level equipment trailers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

bigorange
Explorer
Explorer
I had an issue with tire clearance on my 5er and it also rode nose high...Forest Riverโ€™s solution to address the clearance was to install a Lippert Correct Track which added about 2โ€ lift. Resolved the clearance issue and rides a lot more level now. And I can adjust the tow in alignment a lot better too.
Not all those who wander are lost. - Tolkien

2018 Cherokee 235B 5W
2011 Ram 2500 CC SWB SLT 4WD 6.7 CTD 3.73
B&W Turnover Ball + Companion Slider hitch
2003 Sierra T22 TT - Sold

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
This seems like a duplicate post to โ€œRam too Highโ€ post.

As I said in the other post, you should have an alternate ride height option n your Ram. My 3500 has the option. I figure it is standard with air ride.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

Itโ€™s not what youโ€™ve done that commands respect, itโ€™s what you do.

Happy Campinโ€™

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
It's damned silly how high modern pickups sit. They should make low riding tow specials for people pulling 5Ws, which themselves are getting very high as it is without riding even higher in front to clear a truck bed.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have issues riding nose high about 4.5". I have a 2019 4x4 2500HD Chevy standard bed truck. I purchased a Curt A16 slider hitch which in my belief, makes the nose on the trailer ride high. The slider adds about 3 inches to the 5th wheel hitch height. I am thinking of ordering the replacement base legs for a non-slider which will allow me to lower the head height on the hitch. I will remove the slider portion of the hitch. I have over 8" of truck bed rail clearance so I think I should be ok. I will contact a local RV repair shop before I order the new base legs to get their opinion. This will be the most cost effective way to handle this, the new base legs are just under $100. The other option is to try and flip the axles on the trailer. I really don't need a slider with this trailer.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Road Phantom wrote:

How much nose-high? I towed my old Komfort for 13 years 4-5" nose-high, and when I had the bearings replaced, they showed no significant wear. Just sayin'...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
I raised my pin box as high as it could be raised and lowered my hitch likewise. I measured from the top rail to bottom of fiver and have almost 6 inches clearance. I am still slightly nose high but not enough to cause any problems.
If you have an trail air on the pin you may need to not inflate the bladder as much as it shows. I don't and have a smooth ride.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leveling a fifth wheel on a truck is problematic with most newer fifth wheels and nearly all late-model 4WD trucks. The Reflections come with the axles already underneath the springs, so "flipping" the axles is not an option - but you could put blocks under the axles. You want to aim for at least 6" of bed rail-to-overhang clearance and no more than an inch or two out of level front-to-back on the trailer. As Mark mentioned, it's not so much your bearings you need to worry about, but the tires, the springs, and the spring hangers (a weak spot). And yes - 4WD trucks tend to sit higher than RWD trucks.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015