cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Windows 10 Email Program suggestions

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Thunderbird email program on several of my Windows 10 PC's.. Lately the program is not responding / halting on ALL of the Windows 10 computers. Want to switch to another program but what? Outlook? any other free email programs other than G-mail worth the time effort?
49 REPLIES 49

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
rk911 wrote:

why wouldnโ€™t i?
Do you regularly back up all your emails on your PC and then store the back up off site? If you don't, you may lose all your emails someday. Same goes for backing up your computer in general.

I always have 3 backups for all my files. One is an extra hard drive in my PC, one is a network drive, and one is in the cloud. I do automatic backup daily at 3AM.

absolutely. daily backups to external hard drives, quarterly โ€˜OMGโ€™ backups to a different hard drive and monthly backups of documents to DVD kept in a bank vault. thatโ€™s all in addition to the HD on our laptop is synced with the HD on our desktop. and if calamity should befall us and we were to lose our email files, well none of them are THAT critical.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

babock
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

why wouldnโ€™t i?
Do you regularly back up all your emails on your PC and then store the back up off site? If you don't, you may lose all your emails someday. Same goes for backing up your computer in general.

I always have 3 backups for all my files. One is an extra hard drive in my PC, one is a network drive, and one is in the cloud. I do automatic backup daily at 3AM.

babock
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
So I don't have to worry about someone disappearing along with all my emailx? Go to any forum and see how many picture links are broken due to photo hosting services going TU. I have tons of receipts and personal messages in my email program. I think I trust myself more than the cloud. Sometimes old ways still work well.
I am going to guess that Microsoft, who hosts my emails, isn't going out of business anytime soon. The last couple fortune 500 companies I worked for used the exact hosting service I do so not very concerned. If you use "joe blow" email hosting, then yes I would be more concerned.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
babock wrote:
joebedford wrote:
I use Outlook so my emails don't stay in the cloud.
LOL...that soley depends on if you use a pop server or an exchange server. Using a pop server and having all your mail on your local PC was done 20 years ago. Why on earth would you do that now?

Still using POP here. I leave the email on the server too for at least a decent length of time. Itโ€™s all my WISP provides and Iโ€™m fine with it. Iโ€™ve have the same provider for 17 years and being a small enough provider I get nearly 0 spam. I POP to 3 different devices.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
babock wrote:
joebedford wrote:
LOL...that soley depends on if you use a pop server or an exchange server. Using a pop server and having all your mail on your local PC was done 20 years ago. Why on earth would you do that now?
So I don't have to worry about someone disappearing along with all my emailx? Go to any forum and see how many picture links are broken due to photo hosting services going TU. I have tons of receipts and personal messages in my email program. I think I trust myself more than the cloud. Sometimes old ways still work well.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
joebedford wrote:

why wouldnโ€™t i?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

babock
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/ Version 2.53.1 was released on Feb 28,2020. It's a combined browser/email client/calendar. Very Good! Best part is it's freeware.

The SeaMonkey Project wrote:
The SeaMonkey project is proud to present SeaMonkey 2.53.1: The new release of the all-in-one Internet suite is available for download now! 2.53.1 is our biggest release in a few years and incorporates many changes and fixes from the underlying platform code. Before installing it make a full backup of your profile and thoroughly read and follow the Release Notes.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

babock
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
babock wrote:
I use Microsoft 365 to host my emails. I use outlook on my PCs, Nine on my portable devices. I want my emails in the cloud at all times. That way, I delete an email and it is gone and you don't see it on any devices.

That's exactly why I use Gmail. Also, if I drop my ISP I don't loose my email address.
Mine is independent of my ISP.

I use gmail too...mainly for junk I sign up for.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
babock wrote:
I use Microsoft 365 to host my emails. I use outlook on my PCs, Nine on my portable devices. I want my emails in the cloud at all times. That way, I delete an email and it is gone and you don't see it on any devices.

That's exactly why I use Gmail. Also, if I drop my ISP I don't loose my email address.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

babock
Explorer
Explorer

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Use Gmail like most of us do

I can get Gmail in Thunderbird along with my provider account that I use for business. Must be something wrong with OP's computers as I have had no issues using Thunderbird.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I think about 95% if the issues with Email clients is proper configuration.
Also, You want to make sure that the client does not remove the email once downloaded. For example, You open Gmail on your phone, the program downloads then deletes the email on the server. User goes home & opens Email client on home computer, opens gmail and does not see the email.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel