Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: maybe add some heavy duty pressure treated lumber?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> maybe add some heavy duty pressure treated lumber?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The plastic decking would be better . Even pressure treated would has capillary action .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have fun getting back in there if you glass in the bottom of the camper. That's a horrible idea. Like screwing the door shut on your house. Why?

And a layer of PT lumber on the bottom of your camper is not going to give you cancer...more paranoia. But not sure it's needed.

But bottom line, how long has it lasted until now? Do you really think it will fall apart in the near future? And if your truck bed is pooling water ( it's not becasue it's a flatbed and if it is, drill a couple holes in the bed).
I just saved you a weekends worth of work!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

The plastic decking would be better . Even pressure treated would has capillary action .

^This, if you insist on adding structure to the bottom. It's slippery stuff though

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PT wood is nasty stuff, wear gloves always, and it is nasty stuff and will give cancer if you live long enough and it will off-gas so you breath the nasty.

I'm not sure "getting back in" is the goal, but fiberglas can be infinitely cut and re-epoxy'd

I missed that you need more bed rail clearance. Lots of post about using plywood to make two X's as both to lay under the camper and increase height and to give you a mobile platform to lower the camper onto for storage or extra stability at the campground. I like to have something under the floor when it is out of the truck as when I rebuilt the bottom I used foamboard, not plywood so it is less rigid already.
My Dodge has high rails so 3/4 plywood and a rubber mat give me enough height, and I always have the bases with me.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Don't use PT wood on TC.

Installing it on the bottom of the truck camper is not installing it IN the truck camper.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ticki2 wrote:

The plastic decking would be better

Except for the fact that it's really heavy and would require eleventy billion screws to install it since that type of decking mimics the size of a 2x6.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure why you expect to have lots of water in the bed. Doesn't it have grooves? BTW, it's typical to have untreated wood in trailer floors. Better to dry out than keep water in for mold.

I'd go with simple and light and replace easily if needed. After all, it made it years with the original design.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lance actually has holes in bottom floor.
Maybe not design for drainage, but water tank drain fittings go into the floor holes and all is covered with flashing hold by couple of screws on the bottom side.
Can't say I am in favor of this design, but it works for most.
x2 on composite decking not only being heavy, but extremely slippery.
Not much structural strength in it neither.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anything you could just screw wood strips front to back to the bottom of the camper. If you leave space between each strip water can drain and air can get in to help things dry. If the strips of wood get water damage it will be easy to replace them.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/20 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

PT wood is nasty stuff, wear gloves always, and it is nasty stuff and will give cancer if you live long enough and it will off-gas so you breath the nasty.

I'm not sure "getting back in" is the goal, but fiberglas can be infinitely cut and re-epoxy'd

I missed that you need more bed rail clearance. Lots of post about using plywood to make two X's as both to lay under the camper and increase height and to give you a mobile platform to lower the camper onto for storage or extra stability at the campground. I like to have something under the floor when it is out of the truck as when I rebuilt the bottom I used foamboard, not plywood so it is less rigid already.
My Dodge has high rails so 3/4 plywood and a rubber mat give me enough height, and I always have the bases with me.

Well, I should be dead by now then.
Of course most of my exposure to cutting, carrying and building (mostly decks) with PT lumber was before the Internet was around to tell me how bad it is, so maybe I'll be ok?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> maybe add some heavy duty pressure treated lumber?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.