cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F350, 10k GVWR differences

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
So I will give you the reason first, my Home Owners Association limits us to 10K gross weight vehicles outside of the garage. No rules on what is in the bed.

Now for the question, if all the trucks have the diesel engine, other than rims and tires, mainly 17" to 18" or 20": What are the differences if any, in the various Ford F-350s?

It appears that the only change (other than wheels and tires) is just the door sticker. So the GVWR is just a function of the carrying capacity of the tires? Does anyone have more information?

Thanks, and please do not knock it off the rails with a discussion of HOA rules.
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Yup, bingo, problem solved!
Except for those that would be morally opposed to the intentional false advertising! Lol

Or what I did, scrape all the badges and trim and clean up the appearance!
(I have been thinking about finding some sort of โ€œecoโ€ type badge to put on the tailgate though. Bottom right corner, just above the smoke maker! Lol)

Or alternately, to escape persecution by the weight cops, replace the โ€œ2โ€ with a โ€œ5โ€ on the 3/4 ton badging and then never get hassled by the mystical cops that supposedly care about how much a weekend warriors rig weighs!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bedlam
Grit dog wrote:
And now with the addition of > 10k gvw 3/4 tons, there's a whole nother level of confusion added to the "I'm right, but don't know what I'm talking about" crowd.
Waiting to see the discussions start blowing up on here about explaining that phenomenon....

Which is why I said to use tags from a 1/2t on your 1t. I knew someone would point out the new GVWR of the 3/4t.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
If you are asking what is included/different in the 10k GVWR option in the F350, it is the sticker.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And now with the addition of > 10k gvw 3/4 tons, there's a whole nother level of confusion added to the "I'm right, but don't know what I'm talking about" crowd.
Waiting to see the discussions start blowing up on here about explaining that phenomenon....

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
the gmc denali trucks ( at least my2015) don't even show 2500 or 3500 on the side. It just says "Denali" Ihave a 2500 Denali, the neighbor a 3500SRW denali. Side by side other than knowing spring pack differences you can't distinguish one from the other. It would take a real "eagle eye" to seperate a 2500 vs 3500 SRW. But then the 2020 GM 2500's are something like and 11,500 GVWR. Within a few lbs of the 2500 SRW.

Get a 3500 and buy a set of 2500 stickers! for other vehicles.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
twodownzero wrote:
GVWR isn't "gross weight." If their restrictions are based on "gross weight," an F-350 isn't going to weigh over 10,000 pounds empty even if it does have a GVWR higher than that.

GVWR is the maximum weight the vehicle can be if loaded to the max. For a SRW the two rear tires are going to be a significant restriction because trucks carry weight primarily on their rear axles, but GVWR is lower than the combination of the axle weight ratings so it is more complicated than that and takes the entire vehicle design into account.

I rest my case. Where's my $20?
In reference to the 2nd paragraph. First paragraph sounds like trying to second guess an HOA bylaw.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
You're talking about a SRW truck, which looks the same as any other pickup. They'll never know the difference.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I like the different emblem idea. Just put 250 emblems on it.

Oregon has some funny things with the 10K GVWR as well with respect to tire chains vs. traction tires. During all but the worst storms in the mountains - Over 10K you need to chain up. 10K and under and traction tires/devices are acceptable.

blt2ski
twodownzero wrote:
GVWR isn't "gross weight." If their restrictions are based on "gross weight," an F-350 isn't going to weigh over 10,000 pounds empty even if it does have a GVWR higher than that.

GVWR is the maximum weight the vehicle can be if loaded to the max. For a SRW the two rear tires are going to be a significant restriction because trucks carry weight primarily on their rear axles, but GVWR is lower than the combination of the axle weight ratings so it is more complicated than that and takes the entire vehicle design into account.

Your explanation makes no sense. First paragraph uses gross incorrectly. Im thinking you mean "tare" or empty wieght.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

blt2ski
RJ
Same with my 2000 C2500, but I'm 4800 empty. BUT for $15, either of us can buy the 10K weight, and be legal to 10K.....or 12, or 14.......

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
blt2ski wrote:
Here in Washington, said 10k door sticker truck would probably have a minimum 12k legal gvw due to how this state licenses trucks. So you may want to make sure they do not ask for a copy of registration.
Here, take base wieght, times 1.5, to next higher ton.
If the truck empty wieght is 7000 lbs, times 1.5 equals 10,500. Next higher ton is 12,000. That's how much tonnage you would be required to buy. Even if the door sticker is less than 10k.

Marty

Yep, Washington with its goofy weight calculations. My old 2500HD regular cab gas only weighed 5200 lbs empty, so they tagged it at 8K even though GVWR was 9200.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I bet the weight cops de rail the thread before the HOA cops....$20.... Any takers?

Yes the only difference is the sticker.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
2003silverado wrote:
Kind of going off what ksss said....I'm thinking the HOA is simply trying to keep large commercial looking vehicles from being parked in driveways. Since a f350 srw with any gvwr looks the same as an f250 I highly doubt you need to worry about what the sticker actually says.

However, if ya get a DRW, hard to hide the "hips".
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"