cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Store up on leveling jacks?

dkuntz
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a 5W, had a TT for 8 years prior to this. I have a concrete pad that my friend is letting me store my trailer on, but it slopes left to right across the trailer when I have it parked on it. None of the manuals talk about how to store a 5W in terms of on tires or on jacks as a best practice. Is it best to use the Auto leveling jacks when in storage and level out the trailer on the jacks? Or leave it on the tires and leave it out of level? The slope is enough that the tires on the right side of the trailer are off the ground when level by 2โ€. If I store on the jacks, should I push all the jacks up so that all the tires are off the ground so the leaf springs are all out of compression?

Thanks for the help!
2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax, short bed
2020 Keystone Cougar Fifth Wheel 29MBS
Diamondback cover - Sided loaded
2017 Polaris Sportsman 450
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 X2
12 REPLIES 12

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, when we have the 5er at home on side of garage, we have the 6pt down so it's level. Use to have to put boards under tires for side to side, and lil something under front legs w/ old 5er. Winter storage inside big ol building w/ concrete floor, just a 2x10x5 under the wheels so tires are off the concrete.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just park mine and set the jacks down onto the ground. I don't worry about leveling it. My only concern is that the jacks might add a little extra stability in the event of high winds.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dkuntz wrote:
Just got a 5W, had a TT for 8 years prior to this. I have a concrete pad that my friend is letting me store my trailer on, but it slopes left to right across the trailer when I have it parked on it. None of the manuals talk about how to store a 5W in terms of on tires or on jacks as a best practice. Is it best to use the Auto leveling jacks when in storage and level out the trailer on the jacks? Or leave it on the tires and leave it out of level? The slope is enough that the tires on the right side of the trailer are off the ground when level by 2โ€. If I store on the jacks, should I push all the jacks up so that all the tires are off the ground so the leaf springs are all out of compression?

Thanks for the help!

I auto-level my KZ in storage. Why not? Admittedly, my covered storage is pretty level, but if it weren't, I'd still level it. Just cover your tires to help protect them a bit.

When I have my FW at home, prepping for a trip, I have to add a block under the RR jack or it will run out of travel due to a fairly high crown on our paved street. When I do, the curb-side tires are completely off the ground. What I've noticed is that the LCI auto-level system always seems to level =upwards=, never down. I'd love to have the option of dropping the entire FW down X inches, while level.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Super_Dave wrote:
Without going in circles, store it like you camp it. My 5th wheel sits for 3 months at the same campsite, technically no different than storing it for 3 months of Winter.

ZACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
AS long as the trailers frame isn't being twisted to get it level that would bo ok.
I store mine sitting on the tires sitting on different thicknesses of wood blocks from side to side. That the frame isn't in any kind of stress.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel sits on gravel in the driveway an do not level the trailer unless I have to open the slides ... After doing what I need to do an closing the slides I rise the jacks except for the landing gear ... I do not run the frig when stored so the trailer dozen't have to level as it should when your frig is being used ...

As stated by OP I use blocks under my levelers when we run into a camp site with unlevel or uneven ground, however I will not use a camp site that is so uneven that I have my tires off the ground even though my leveling jacks can take it I don't feel I need to put that much stress on the jacks nor my trailer frame ...

Safe Travels ๐Ÿ™‚

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Without going in circles, store it like you camp it. My 5th wheel sits for 3 months at the same campsite, technically no different than storing it for 3 months of Winter.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
My concrete pad is broken and uneven after a few years of a Mountain Aire DP. When we got this Cardinal fifth wheel, I put the drivers side tires on 2X8 boards to make it more level side to side. And a 2X8 under all jacks and hit the auto level.

dkuntz
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
Isn't it required to be level for the fridge?

I never leveled out my TT when in storage. I only leveled out for camping when I was using the appliances. Since the 5W has auto leveling, Iโ€™m wondering if I should since the concrete pad sloes 3-4โ€ left to right.
2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax, short bed
2020 Keystone Cougar Fifth Wheel 29MBS
Diamondback cover - Sided loaded
2017 Polaris Sportsman 450
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 X2

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't it required to be level for the fridge?
There is something special about camping in an RV.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have my 40' 5er on a concrete pad most of the year. I have the jacks installed and the RV level. The jacks rest on cut 6X6 wood. The tires rest on plastic place mats so they are separated from the concrete.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Auto level is just that, it finds level. Unless you are on tremendously uneven ground, your tires will be on the ground. My opinion is that the more points on the ground the better.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk