cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window Leak - NOT condensation

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 5er with the type of window that opens from the bottom and overlaps the RV slightly. The glass all around overlaps the RV skin. You can see the rubber gasket from if you look on the edge of the glass. The RV was built in 2012 so it is the style seen on most RV today. There is no frame on the outside, just visible is the glass. My problem is a a small leak was spotted dripping from the upper frame inside. Upon going outside I noticed that there is a slight gap in the gasket to window. (The inside screws are tight) I think the gasket is starting to dry out. I do not want to remove the window and put in a new gasket as I might have additional problems Do you all think a bead of clear Lexel would solve the problem if I put it around the top section between the glass and top of gasket?
13 REPLIES 13

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER use silicone for anything on the RV!

The frameless window sounds like it has a hinge at the top? You will see some extra metal above the glass, and that is the hinge, which looks more like two "J" shaped fitted together which can move like a hinge.

There should be two tiny screws on top of this metal and their purpose is to keep the hinge from sliding right or left. Unscrew one of these, open the window, undo the crank from the window glass(I have no idea how to do this) and slide the window out. Then you will be able to re-do the sealing gasket properly by removing the old and putting in the new. Maybe, maybe you can get some cheap window rubber strips at homedepot that will work, but it might be too thick, even the 1/4 inch stuff, which is not that tacky either, or the RV store might have exactly what you need.

* On mine the crank mechanism is riveted to the window frame. You will need to drill out these rivets to get the crank mechanism off to get the window free. Use a drill bit about the same size, or just smaller, than the rivet head and once you drill down to the frame the rivet head will be gone and you can use a nail or punch to push the rest of the rivet out. The rivets expand a little when installed so it will take just a small amount of pressure to motivate it out, but not so much you need to hammer.
If you can use small screws to reinstall it, great, but new rivets will never come loose.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
And the OP will not be able to open window!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
sounds like a good time to get out the silicon :h

Just say no to silicone. Doesn't hold up, very hard to remove, and nothing will stick to cured silicone.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a good time to get out the silicon :h

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could do a small test now. Try putting a known straight edge(level or square) on area where window makes contact to coach to chck for high spots.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks all for your input. I have decided that for now I am going to stuff some small rubber gasket in between the window and the RV skin to keep the water out. When the weather gets warmer I will try to either loosen the screws and adjust the window or remount. I don't dare want to try it now, just in case I have a problem It is cold out there. Though small, the leak is not in between the walls and if this does not work I can put a towel on the inside to keep it in check.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am thinking on his frameless windows that the window is not mounted to the rig flat causing the window glass to hit a high spot not allowing other areas to make good contact.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Dont forget folks, the OP indicated the window is leaking between the glass and the rubber seal ie: "a slight gap in the gasket to window". So it's not an issue where it seals to the body of the RV.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
If it is leaking, pull it and fix it now. If you goop it up with sealant and it doesn't stop the leak--and it probably won't--it will just be harder to remove later.
Save yourself some time and trouble, fix it right and be done with it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Those are called "frameless windows".
From another forum site
Heartland owners site

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
https://www.red10rv.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2012-Carriage-Trailer-Cameo-37RSQ-Carriage-Cameo-Red-10-RV-6195378

Hope this works. Don't know how to DL pic but here is a link to a unit like mine. See they type of window. Found pic on internet. Don't know if allowed. Moderator delete if not.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could seal the window frame to the coach. I would use something like the Dicor non-self-leveling.
However:
If the window is leaking between the frame and coach, the best is to remove the window and re-do the tacky tape.
On my rig, I found the louvered style windows slide down in it's end tracks. I removed the louver, cleaned track good and re-set with eurathane window adhesive.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
That would make the window inoperable.
It would probably work but doing non-standard repairs like that ages an RV IMHO. The more you do stuff like that, the more it decends into just being another junk trailer (sorry, couldn't come up with a less offensive term).
I would opt for doing the repair right. It would probably only take a couple of hours.