cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What to use for caulking around windows?

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
What does one use for caulking around rv windows? Hubby forgot the name of it...we used it before from camping world...
10 REPLIES 10

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the usual framed Herr windows and the mfgr caulked over the tops. My Herr's have rubber gaskets under the flange and they've shrunken and I noticed some are loose so I've been removing the windows and caulking under the flange, reinstall, tighten them down and wiping off the excess caulk. The windows come out really easy. In fact, the whole job is really easy and I dare them to ever leak, now. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
dcason wrote:
What does one use for caulking around rv windows? Hubby forgot the name of it...we used it before from camping world...

Around windows, doors, and any other outside item mounted through a wall, you can use one of the following:

Geocel/Proflex RV - got mine at Ace Hardware and used it around a new water heater I installed after using butyl tape. They may not carry it any longer, so you may have to order it on line.

OSI/Quad originally got mine for use on windows on the house, but it works fine on RVs too. Available at Lowe's or Home Depot in store in black, white, brown and tan, but can be purchased in several more colors.

When using either brand, run a bead on both sides and top of a window or any other square item penetrating the trailer sidewall. Use 360ยฐ on round items. Both can be applied over butyl tape. Neither on contains silicone.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
My Newmar has rubber seals between the window and the coach wall and a bead of Parabond on sides and top of window to shed water.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor and check from the roof down to the widow. This fall I thought my kitchen window needed to be resealed, I found a small leak on the counter under the window.
I pulled the window,resealed and thought I was good to go,,same leak again.
Got on a ladder and found the roof lip seal had pulled up and thats where the water was coming from! Dug out the old sealant and cleaned with Acetone then resealed that lip seal,,no more window leak!

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
gbopp wrote:
If you chose to use Dicor, get the non-self leveling type.
Using self leveling caulk on a vertical surface will make a super mess.

Yeah, and super difficult to remove. I've found that Goo Adhesive Remover sort of works, but WD-40 does a better job. Then clean up after that with alcohol on the surface - save the drinking kind for after you're done.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
This is what windows are designed to be sealed with. They never tell you but every year you should take a screwdriver and tighten the screws on the inside frame. If your RV is fairly new, this may be all you need to do. After about 10 years the butyl tape is fully compressed (and pretty dried out). It's not difficult to remove the window assembly and replace the tape with new. Many RVs are ruined by hidden leaks INSIDE the walls from leaking windows that rots out the floor/wall connection.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07663NFZZ?pf_rd_p=ab873d20-a0ca-439b-ac45-cd78f07a84d8&pf_rd_r=DE76X0PPJ8XNMYJGAMPD

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you chose to use Dicor, get the non-self leveling type.
Using self leveling caulk on a vertical surface will make a super mess.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
You usually dont caulk around windows. They have butyl tape behind them that seals them. If leaking you generally remove the window and put new butyl tape around it. That is the proper way to do it.
THIS ^^^ otherwise you'll just make a mess.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
dcason wrote:

Probably Dicor is what he got. That's what is used to seal RV roof vents and some use it to glue down flexible solar panels. It seals and sticks to things like you wouldn't believe. But as others have said, it may not be the best solution for windows, although all the RVs I've owned always came with some sealer around the outside window frames.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
You usually dont caulk around windows. They have butyl tape behind them that seals them. If leaking you generally remove the window and put new butyl tape around it. That is the proper way to do it.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie