cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

purchase

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
We have a $500 hold with Genral RV in Utah on a 25 ft Coachman 2019 on Ford 450 chassis with only 6000 miles. I have just reviewed the Pissed Customer web side along with Consumers affairs. There are a ton of negative reviews on Coachman but then again with only one or two exceptions all class c manufacturers have a ton also. So what's a guy to think? Most of the companies have been around along time and have built thousands and thousands. SO is it just part of a numbers game? A certain percentage are going to complain?
18 REPLIES 18

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
billy1davis wrote:
SO is it just part of a numbers game? A certain percentage are going to complain?
I believe so.

There are also naive people with the misconception that a motor home is built to the same standards as a regular automobile. Getting "shocked" with disappointment often sparks negative comments. And because Coachman entry level products are most affordable, they are also most common....hence "The Numbers Game".

Regardless of brand, if you want your motor home experience to be a friendly one, you really need to have or develop basic automotive, plumbing, electrical, and housing skills and apply those skills annually. Otherwise you will be posting your own negative comments on that complaining forum.

As for me and my wife, we got very lucky and bought a Phoenix Cruiser. Our model 2350 is now 13 years old. It looks the same as when THESE PICTURES were taken many years ago. The handyman requirement is much less than typical. Adding that we garage it when not using it, helps immensely more. I do work on it, but nearly all is "elective" making little improvements to enhance our RVing experience.

mlorlo
Explorer
Explorer
We are starting on our 3rd season with our 2010 Coachmen Freelander QB and we've had no issues with anything (it now has 48k miles). Aside from installing a 5 Star tune and putting on new front brake pads it's been a great rv. Completely unlike what we traded in on it, a 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40D diesel pusher. What a POS that was, $8800 bucks to fix the engine when the injector pump failed and left us stranded, ceiling falling down, and nothing but trouble from the Norcold 1200 fridge. It only had 60k miles on it and everytime I started to get ready for a trip something else went wrong with it!! We got 11k cash and the Freelander when we took it back to where we bought it and I consider that a deal. We've now made 7 trips with the Freelander and we only managed 1 complete trip with the Vectra (it broke down 100 miles into the second trip). I've got nothing bad to say about Coachmen..............

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Those replies were very helpful. Thanks so much.

CC38EL
Explorer II
Explorer II
To me 'entry level' is a tent....so I guess it all depends on where you're at in the 'RVing' world.

We have a 2018 Freelander and find it does what we want. It keeps us cool in the heat and warm in the cold and dry in the wet. Love my Chevy chassis. It gets us to where we RV. Doesn't leak, creak, or let loose of the attached things.

Not a lot of 'bling'. Which we prefer. Bling doesn't hold up well in some cases.....and tends to be the things that break first.

We've been doing this a long time (had a tent once) and find Coachmen to be a good product. No better and no worse than others who make this type of product.
Jim
2019 Coachmen Mirada Select 37LS

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Billy,

No offense intended or received. I have had RV salespeople refer to their lines of Coachmen and Thor as "Entry Level" stressing the bang for the buck they offer. Most manufacturers offer a number of different lines at various price point/quality levels. Personally I will always be a buy lightly used guy but recognize that many want to buy new. Both have their pros and cons.

My experience is that everything from a Coachman to a Tiffin usually roles off the lot with a few issues and then the games begin. Different levels of initial quality can be mitigated by decent warranty/dealer service which sadly is not always the case.

This is why I recommend looking for something around 3 years old that has obviously been well maintained {Complete service records are like finding gold}. The initial bugs have in all probability been dealt with and anything major should clearly show. Good luck!

:C

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
You could replace entry level with the word cheap, but I doubt that would help your RVs esteem any more than being called entry level!
But sounds like you know your way around RVs so call yours whatever you wish.

I agree... Entry Level is a polite way of saying cheap but it does not change anything. The OP solicited opinions {the primary function of this Forum} but he neglected to ask for only opinions that he agreed with. :h

When you look closely at any line of RV's it quickly becomes apparent when they are built primarily to a low end price point, there really is no hiding it. When compared to the better built lines the differences are glaring

. I could have probably reacted to some of the comments made to my posts better than I did and I apologize for that. But lets all work to preserve this valuable web site and make it a safe place to ask questions. I am sure that none of us like Rudeness or sarcastic remarks. It is not helpful and moves the OP into other directions like what has happened to me.

So for those that are not offended by my opinions and have a honest desire to help me .....I would like input from those that have had experiences with Coachman much like what is posted on other boards or groups.

Those that have posted helpful comments I really appreciate you!!!
I do not have my mind made up and just so it is clear I am not looking for comments and or opinions that sound like they agree with mine.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
don,t belive everything you read ,coachman is one of the better units. yep your going to have some problems but they all do even $500.k rv,s do a very very good walk threw and take notes ,things should be fixed before it leaves the lot. because once you take it home its yours. and get a out the door price or you,ll see add on,s coming ,

Wife's cousin just bought a used unit from Foretravel in Nacogdoches. Her nephew is a production manager there.

Said they completed a 1+ million dollar unit for George Strait. He took it on tour and came back with a list of 40 items that needed correction. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
You could replace entry level with the word cheap, but I doubt that would help your RVs esteem any more than being called entry level!

I agree... Entry Level is a polite way of saying cheap but it does not change anything. The OP solicited opinions {the primary function of this Forum} but he neglected to ask for only opinions that he agreed with. :h

When you look closely at any line of RV's it quickly becomes apparent when they are built primarily to a low end price point, there really is no hiding it. When compared to the better built lines the differences are glaring

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I have a Coachmen class C. It's over twenty years old, so it may not be a good indication of how they are doing things these days.

There are some areas where it's definitely built to a price point. The fit and finish of certain bits is not superior, and some materials are pretty low end. I'm not talking so much about appliances and such, which are largely the same few brands for any RV until you get to the really really high end custom models.

On the other hand, the basic design of my class C is sound, the wiring and plumbing installed neatly enough and using approprite materials and techniques, and there's generally sufficient access for maintenance and repair needs. Things work as expected, albeit age does take its toll sometimes. On the whole I think they did a good job of choosing where to save money to meet their price point and where they didn't; for things that matter for functionality and safety, the work is entirely satisfactory.

Entry level simply means it's the lower end of the cost spectrum, and hence the materials are inexpensive options and the workmanship not overly exacting. A Honda Civic is an entry-level car for the same reasons--not necessarily a bad car, but not one featuring exotic leathers or hand-stitched steering wheel coverings. My ranch house would probably be considered towards the entry level side of hoses, and so it doesn't have granite countertops or high ceilings or other similar luxuries.

billy1davis
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
IMHO: Coachmen {much like Thor} = Entry level... they can be a decent value if you find a lightly used {with the inevitable initial bugs worked out, repaired or replaced}, well maintained unit that is priced right but there are lots of choices out there that offer a much higher level of quality. Walk any major RV dealership and the lowest price motorhomes on the lot will always be Coachmen and Thor.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

IMHO
I have been RV'ing for 42 years. there was a time when you could easily tell when a RV was a true quality build. Not so easy any more...yep not even by the name. Example Thor is the builder of ...Airstream. Many many other examples.
I have repaired high level high quality rigs such as Safari also known as Monaco and Arctic Fox just to name a few. Often they use the same parts and appliances and floor coverings and furniture as the lowly "entry level."
So I am now the kinda of guy that has adopted the motto..."show me."
So my quest continues....what kind of experiences regarding quality has anyone had with Coachman Class C??
By the way am I an entry level or is Coachman entry level? It feels a little demeaning. Plus it is a little frustrating to be spending tens of thousands and find out that it is only entry level.
How about just dropping the classification.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO: Coachmen {much like Thor} = Entry level... they can be a decent value if you find a lightly used {with the inevitable initial bugs worked out, repaired or replaced}, well maintained unit that is priced right but there are lots of choices out there that offer a much higher level of quality. Walk any major RV dealership and the lowest price motorhomes on the lot will always be Coachmen and Thor.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Do a very careful inspection, run every system and drive it. Read the warranty, if any, twice. Everything fixed before your money is on the table. And start enjoying!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

FireGuard
Explorer
Explorer
I think the RV market has been so good lately they canโ€™t build them fast enough.
They have to hire new untrained people and quality has suffered.
Also, remember you are driving a house down a bumpy road simulating an earthquake.
You will always have little issues on any R.V, even a $2m Prevost. Iโ€™ve heard people who buy a new RV and think itโ€™s junk because a couple of screws came loose or trim fell off. If you canโ€™t fix the little things yourself, plan to spend $120 per hour for an โ€œRV Techโ€
Just like anything, there are the lemons out there and most people on post when they have a problem.
I havenโ€™t seen too many posts from owners just to say there โ€œwhatever itemโ€ is great and havenโ€™t had any problems.
Buy it, use it and maintain it and enjoy the RV lifestyle.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650