cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

kwikee steps

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
just wondering if anyone has done an upgrade to the Kwikee electric steps. Mine are needing to be done and would like some tips.
thanks.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.
8 REPLIES 8

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Called PPL, bought upgrade and installed it, steps work great, upgrade was easy
thanks all
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Richert wrote:
thanks everyone, where is the best place to buy the upgrade kit?

Google is your friend:

"Kwikee Series 32 stair upgrade/repair kit"

Make sure you get the right controller. You may not even need one depending on what you already have. Best call and ask before you buy. Most every major RV online parts source has them. Very common item.

Chum lee

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone, where is the best place to buy the upgrade kit?
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on using window motors. That used to be the go-to fix but the actual ones made for steps seem to last a lot longer.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the upgrade kit that is available for the steps on my old rig (new motor and controller) and they work better than ever. I used to use modified window motors, but the factory motor was much better.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I did the upgrade on my '99 Series 32 Kwikee steps. Buy the upgrade kit, consisting of a new electronic controller, motor, gearbox, door switch, wiring, and lever arm. (extra cost if you need it) I removed the stair assembly, sand blasted it, and then had it powder coated. I used new grade 8 attaching bolts (4 total) on the main frame. Install everything per the included instructions. Lube it up and you should be good to go. You can install everything without removing the stairs or powder coating, if you prefer.

The stairs are heavy and the actuating arms can pinch fingers/arms if you electrify them too soon, so, . . . . be cautious of that.

Chum lee

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
It seems a lot of people experience problems with these, including myself. From what I've seen most of the issues are pretty simple electrical problems easily resolved. One is that the electric motor develops a flat spot, probably from road vibration, and then refuses to engage without a healthy rap with a rock or hammer. That's fixed with a motor replacement. The second is that the step won't retract when the coach door is closed. This is usually caused by the magnetic sensor in the door frame not being able to detect the magnet in the door when the door is closed. Simple test to verify this is to hold a magnet next to the sensor in the door frame. If the steps retract, that's the problem. The simplest fix for this is to shim out the magnet in the door so that when the door is closed the magnet is closer to the sensor. A garden hose washer is usually enough for this fix.

Cottontop
Explorer
Explorer
I had trouble with mine for years until I hit a rock with it 3 years ago and have not had problems with it every since.
1998 Beaver Patriot (Magnum)
FMCA- Good Sam - CAT (3126)
PT Cruiser AUTO with Remco 4down