Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: yellowstone to mt rushmore
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> yellowstone to mt rushmore

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
mitlin

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,
This summer we are traveling the National Park loop from Fl; to Grand Canyon to Yellowstone. Wondering the best route and campgrounds from West entrance Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore? Is Hwy 14 doable for a 30 ft TT? Thanks, Mitlin

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you should be able to do it easily!
Stop off in Cody, WY on your way east.
Don't forget to go by Devils Tower!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/20 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campgrounds are what you get when you reserve now in Yellowstone. You’ll probably be on a waiting list.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/20 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Mountain Directory West should be a good resource for travel in those areas. We always avoid any highway that is labeled `Scenic' when towing.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/20 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read some of the previous posts on hwy 14 and 14A through the Bighorn Mountains. I have gone over 14A both ways while towing and really enjoy it. Many people think it is too difficult for the equipment and the nerves. 14 is easier but 16 to the south is the easiest.
Check for previous posts on this subject because it has been discussed extensively.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Want Tim make it amazing/interesting? Leave the park through Red Lodge MT!

I did it! It's not for he faint of heart, but beautiful views!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/20 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But you will miss the Grand Tetons which is some of the best views in the lower 48. You should plan to spend a day or so at GT.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/20 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago I went 14 east and 16 west. While maybe 16 was "easier" I was glad to do both. Not a big deal really.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

WhitehouseLV

Cowboy State

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/20 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitlin wrote:

Hi all,
This summer we are traveling the National Park loop from Fl; to Grand Canyon to Yellowstone. Wondering the best route and campgrounds from West entrance Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore? Is Hwy 14 doable for a 30 ft TT? Thanks, Mitlin

we live at the base of the Bighorn Mountains. Hwy 14 is very doable for a 30' TT. There are a few switchbacks but the road has quite a few scenic turnouts to take in the view, rest or give the truck a break.

Every time and I mean every time we've been up there (when there hasn't been snow) we've seen moose. A lot of times we will also see hundreds of elk.

If you decide to take Hwy 14 or 14A be sure to stop by our brick & mortar store (This Joyful Home) in Ranchester and we will show you the locations where we see moose & answer any other questions you might have.

my personal suggestion would be to try and spend a night on the mountain. Very friendly boondocking or since your new & traveling I'd probably reserve a night at Sibley Campground (its next to Sibley Lake & some sites have 30 amp). Or Prune Creek Campground. Both are right off the highway and have larger sites to get in & out of. We have seen cow calves and bull moose in both locations. Last summer we were fishing at Sibley Lake when a young bull moose jumped in the lake next to us and splashed around. kids loved watching him play around in the water!

40' Keystone Toyhauler
F350 6.4L DRW to pull the TH
KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Kawasaki KX 100
Honda CRF 150R
Honda CRF 80F
Honda CRF 110F
Honda CRF 450X
Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail
Polaris 50 Outlaw

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that staying in the mountains is great. If you don't mind boondocking, there is an old gravel pit at gps coordinates 44.807679, 107.55364 that has plenty of room and not many people. While staying there, during the daytime we had elk close by, while driving to camp we saw a couple of moose and during the night wolves were right outside of our camper howling at the full moon. That happened when our kids were almost teenagers and they still go back to that place hoping to hear the wolves again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> yellowstone to mt rushmore
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.