Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a propane setup for seafood boil cooking

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

For just my wife and I we have been cooking our version of a seafood boil wrapped in foil on a grill. It comes out okay and we enjoy it but we will be travelling in a group of six people and my little Weber Baby Q just isn't big enough to cook six pouches on it. I have always wanted to prepare this using a "turkey fryer type" setup if possible.

Can anyone recommend a setup that is decent quality BUT not priced through the roof?

Also if anyone has a good recipe to follow that also would be appreciated!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
14 REPLIES 14

Pwrstrok
Explorer
Explorer
Check out cancooker.com, they have a version of the old milk can cookers. It steams your food. I have the 2 larger sizes and can cook just about anything.

TiWi
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, try to check on IMUSA USA -34 Aluminum Steamer Pot, that's the only thing that pops up in my head.

If you already bought one, could you share which one you choose? I'm just curious.
Don't forget to smile

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Super Dave I saw that offer but you won't boil very many crawfish in a pot 5 inches deep. By the time you buy a real pot it won't be $40 any more.

OP says that there are 2 of them. I also bought a deep pot for $35 for larger applications.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Bass Pro and cabelas's routinely have the turkey burner and pot on sale for around $49. I use mine for everything from fish fries to large wok for stir fry veggies.

I have a single burner and I have a double burner.

The single burner gets the most use.
It has gone camping and hunting with me for years.
Low Country Boils, Craw Fish Boils, and mine sees extra duty
cooking with a Discada.
I first saw immigrants cooking with them in the Arizona Desert.
I came home and got a welder buddy to make me one out of a 22" Plow
Disc. He welded the Hole together, and welded on Horse Shoes for handles.
Now people are selling those things. About $49 at Academy Sports.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Super Dave I saw that offer but you won't boil very many crawfish in a pot 5 inches deep. By the time you buy a real pot it won't be $40 any more.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at the Cabela's Bargain Cave and they have one for $39.99.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Bass Pro and cabelas's routinely have the turkey burner and pot on sale for around $49. I use mine for everything from fish fries to large wok for stir fry veggies.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
I built my own burner. I made my legs about 10" high.
I have various skillets, D.Os. and some large pots I use on mine.

I made my burner stand short enough to use on campground wooden picnic tables. I drop it down to a bench if I'm using a large pot for a Low Country Boil.
BTW: I'm partial to using Zatarans for my boils.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walmart sells a steamer pot that has an indent to keep a perforated tray a few inches from the bottom for steaming. I have a big pot with a lift out basket but a big spider works well too.

I like a shorter burner with removable legs.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Millions of pounds of crawfish have been cooked in a number 3 washtub. For smaller batches use a foot tub. Just be sure to run it thru one cycle without the food to clear any chemicals or rust proofing used on the tub. Then pick up a short burner.

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
I use the turkey fryer pot to boil crab legs. I also have the 1/2 size pot with a basket to deep fry fish. Either one will work well depending on how big of a pot you need. That propane burner will bring it up to speed in a hurry.
Brian

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Bayou Classic is a good brand commonly sold at Walart, Amazon, Home Depot etc.

Generally speaking, you want to keep the weight down low so get a burner with short welded legs, not somehthing tall and spindly. Remember the top of the pot is going to be fairly high up too. Although a pan or griddle can be used on these burners it's difficult to turn the burner low enough and keep it lit. I use a Nordic Ware flame-tamer burner plate (Amazon) for that

Although you can set the burner on a table it gets mighty hot under the burner; I use a pizza pan or sheet pan as a heat deflector so I don't melt my plastic table.

I use an Imusa Caldera (Amazon) on the burner for ordinary fish or chicken frying.
-jbh-

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just did a shrimp boil this afternoon for the second time in a week down here in Florida. I have a fish cooker I picked up off Craigslist for $25 and an boil pot from a thrift shop that was either new or like new for $10. It has a lift out strainer which is really nice. I use Zatarans or Louisiana seasonings shrimp and crab boil. The fish cooker works really well too with a 12" cast iron skillet for blackened fish. Both for the fish and shrimp it is soooo nice to keep all that smell outside. PS, I also use this pot/ strainer setup for making Homemade Tamales. It works so good for this I bought a second because I make pretty big batches of Tamales. MMMM

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a decent burner, pot, and basket for a little over $100 on Amazon. Then go on the Internet and search how to boil crawfish. Select a cook from south Louisiana. Be sure to rinse the crawfish well a couple times before cooking. Figure 3-4 pounds per person. Forget Old Bay use Zatarans seasoning, lemons, onions, small red potatoes, salt.