Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: VW Traton has made a bid for Navistar
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> VW Traton has made a bid for Navistar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 02:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Navistar who made diesel engines for Ford Pickups and VW who is cooperating with Ford on Vans and the New Ranger. Now VW's heavy Truck division wants to get into the US market, although Heavy Trucks have taken a
hit in the US
VW Traton has made a bid for Navistar

Quote:

News broke late Jan. 30 that Volkswagen’s global truck unit, Traton SE, is finally making its long-anticipated bid to fully acquire all stock holdings of Navistar International.

Since 2016, Volkswagen, through subsidiary Traton, has acquired a nearly 17% stake in Navistar. Now the company has made an unsolicited bid to acquire the remaining Navistar stake for $35 a share, representing a 45% premium on the company’s closing price of $24.07 a share on Thursday, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal. This would put Navistar’s total valuation at $3.5 billion, WSJ added.

Shares in Navistar rose 51% in after-hours trading.

* This post was edited 02/03/20 02:48am by RobertRyan *

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting. I don’t know that will be welcome news considering Volkswagen’s reputation for unreliability in the US.

Of course Diamler is no better, yet Freightliner has taken the lion’s share of the market, so what do I know? Price sells more than any other consideration I suppose.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Interesting. I don’t know that will be welcome news considering Volkswagen’s reputation for unreliability in the US.

Of course Diamler is no better, yet Freightliner has taken the lion’s share of the market, so what do I know? Price sells more than any other consideration I suppose.

Yeah, my company have been dealing with VW's people at Navistar for a few years now since they purchased 16% of the company. VW's lack of quality in order to attain the cheapest product possible is becoming apparent just as Daimler/Freightliner has been doing for years. It has worked for them because they have had the strongest market share yet the lowest resale values of any truck by far because those who buy them only look at up front costs and not long term value. It is just a basic cheap truck for the masses just like VW cars. Goes to show that just because you sell more of something does not mean it is the best.

My inside guys at Navistar said this was suppose to happen years from now, but with Navistar loosing a several lawsuits resulting in hundreds of millions of dollars in loses in the past few months, their value dipped low enough for it to happen now.

* This post was edited 02/03/20 11:49am by ShinerBock *

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/20 07:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had 2 VW's in past 7 years. 1st one was a a Passat diesel and 2nd is another Passat 4 cyl turbo. Loved the diesel and too bad it was part of VW's scandal, but I really tip my hat to whoever developed the software to allow it to confuse emissions tests. That being said, was it right, no, but still have to hand it to someone. That car got great MPG's, torquey and no problems. That was until 3 months before VW bought it back. It developed a water leak and I never bothered to get it fixed knowing VW was buying it. Now have their 4 cal turbo and while not as torquey as the diesel, does get good MPG's and roomy.

In regards to Daimler/Freightliner, I cannot say they are building the cheapest trucks as all the big semi companies are suffering from the same thing as the big 3 pick-up companies......DEF systems. Have spoken to many and that's the biggest gripe. Reason you may hear/see more Freightliners w/ problems is cuz you see the most of them on the road. Many years ago. International was #1 in pretty much all markets. Freightliner came along with a goal to knock IH off it's #1 perch in same categories. Ford's 6.0 PSD got a lousy rap, but look at how many they sold as well. So while you may see more in way of Freightliner's broke down, they like the RV industry, get/use same vendors for products. and most if not all breakdowns are DEF related.

Yes IH has had a lousy past 10-15 years or so, partly their fault, partly others. It's the others that took advantage and ran w/ it and don't see how they can be to blame. Personally, I wouldn't rush to buy/drive a IH truck, but if that's what my company chooses to buy, then that's what I have to drive. How many of us have said we wouldn't but a Ram, Ford or GM cuz of either current problems or past history? Yet others continue to do so. Luck of the draw. Harley-Davidson, tho a US bike, are they better than bikes from across the pond? Paying for a name./ Same can be said w/ John Deere. Pick your poison.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

W
In regards to Daimler/Freightliner, I cannot say they are building the cheapest trucks as all the big semi companies are suffering from the same thing as the big 3 pick-up companies......DEF systems. Have spoken to many and that's the biggest gripe. Reason you may hear/see more Freightliners w/ problems is cuz you see the most of them on the road. Many years ago. International was #1 in pretty much all markets. Freightliner came along with a goal to knock IH off it's #1 perch in same categories. Ford's 6.0 PSD got a lousy rap, but look at how many they sold as well. So while you may see more in way of Freightliner's broke down, they like the RV industry, get/use same vendors for products. and most if not all breakdowns are DEF related.

Most breakdowns are not DEF/SCR related in the class 7-8 truck industry. Most are sensor(NOx, O2, and so on) related which in turn may cause the overuse of the DEF/SCR system. EGR system failures are also high on the list.

However, in terms of being a cheap truck. The reason why Freightliner's are cheap trucks and have very low resale value is because everything around the engine and drivetrain will generally fall apart due to its lower quality materials and poor design in order the keep costs low. You are also limited on how you can spec them because most German manufacturers believe that they make the best product possible and there is no need to improve on what they offer you so you are limited in customization that you can get with other trucks like Peterbilt's and Kenworth's. And I am saying this based on my experience in dealing and negotiating with many German companies such as Bosch, VW, and Continental.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Ford's 6.0 PSD got a lousy rap, but look at how many they sold as well.

The 6.0L PSD and 6.2L diesel, bothe designed and manufactured by Navistar, got the reputation they deserved ! Ford bought back THOUSANDS of F250 and F350 in those years and then spent millions giving dealers unlimited funds to "make them right" (short of replacing the block and heads). Once they were running right, they were pretty good.

Head gasket or EGR cooler replacement was/is $,$$$ partially because you have to pull the cab but removing everything off the top of the engine is time consuming.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Freightliner sells more trucks because fleets buy them for the low price. The poor driver suffers a cheaply built truck, but who cares. I know, I drove one of the cheap things for a year before I retired.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tyler0215 wrote:

Freightliner sells more trucks because fleets buy them for the low price. The poor driver suffers a cheaply built truck, but who cares. I know, I drove one of the cheap things for a year before I retired.

Sadly the same thing is happening with Mack when Volvo bought them. It used to be that you couldn't hardly find a foreign made part on a Mack and they had a long history of reliability. Once Volvo bought them, you started seeing more and more "Made in China" parts on them, and and now their quality is just a poor as Freightliner if not worse. I see the same thing happening to Navistar if VW buys them. Make money at the expense of quality.

* This post was edited 02/03/20 11:50am by ShinerBock *

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

Diamler owns Freightliner btw. They have a lions share of the market because they build cookie cutter less expensive Class 8 trucks...5,6 and 7 too.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/20 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Tyler0215 wrote:

Sadly the same thing is happening with Mack when Volvo bought them. It used to be that you could hardly find a foreign made part on a Mack and they had a long history of reliability. Once Volvo bought them you started seeing more and more "Made in China" parts on them, and and now their quality is just a poor as Freightliner if not worse. I see the same thing happening to Navistar if VW buys them. Make money at the expense of quality.

Good old VoMack. Sounds like one of those burrowing animals that tears up your lawn...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> VW Traton has made a bid for Navistar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.