Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Panels don't run things
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Panels don't run things

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to be nice, and explain things to those who are looking for knowledge, but sometimes its difficult.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

The fact that the power is temporarily stored in a battery is likely not all that relevant

Agreed

There is something special about camping in an RV.

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think next time I'll just say 'my TV' or something like that. If there are no further questions, I'll consider it answered.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

A helpful (but not too extended) reply could be something like "over the course of a sunny day, they generate about 2 kWh of energy, which is enough to power my fridge and television and lights" or whatever the details may be for you and your solar setup. The power does ultimately come from the solar panels, after all.

the best answer IMHO.
bumpy

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The charge controller like the converter, does 12v loads first and anything left over goes to the battery if the battery wants any.

If the solar can't run the loads all by itself then the battery has to make up the difference.

So yes, the solar can and does run things.

That is why you need a battery monitor to show only what the battery gets and not go by what the controller's display is saying-- some or all of that is going to loads other than the battery.

The real question, as asked on here before (true!) is what happens to all that solar output when there are no other loads and the battery is full? [emoticon]

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

The charge controller like the converter, does 12v loads first and anything left over goes to the battery if the battery wants any.
Yes, we all know this, but try explaining all that to someone who asks that question. They won't even know what a controller is.

When someone asks the question I get the impression they think you just plug something in to a solar panel.

* This post was last edited 02/04/20 04:51pm by 2oldman *   View edit history

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 - 2oldman

No need to confuse them more than they already are.

LScamper

Los Alamos NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 is exactly correct.

The answer to the question of what happens to all that solar output when there are no other loads is the same thing that happens to all that power coming from your 120 volt wall outlet when nothing is plugged in.

Lou

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I guess that's why I see so many dry campers running generators.

Generators are easy to understand. Solar, batteries, inverter.. not so much.

The main reason is that barring a mechanical malfunction or running out of gas, generators just work, all the time, any time. Night or day, under trees or not, the generator always provides electricity. Push a button - bam - you've got 110V juice.

Solar Panels would be useful if you were truly doing long-term, off-the-grid living. But I only boodock in my RV for longer than a weekend about once every 2 years. I run out of water way before I run out of gas for the genny. Heck I run out of water before I deplete my batteries.

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

12thgenusa

Loveland, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The correct answer is they "run" everything. When the panels are producing power, any loads (as opposed to battery charging) on the system are first supplied by the panels to the limit of their capability with any remainder going to battery charging if they are not full. If a load is placed on the system greater than can be supplied by the panels, the batteries make up the difference with no charging taking place during that time (obviously).

On average my panels send about 60 to 70 percent of the power they produce in a day to the batteries and the remainder to directly power systems.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar,
Rogue MPT-3024, 440 AH GC2 bank, ProWatt 2000,100% LED lighting

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Panels don't run things
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.