Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends. If the other driver likes to tow the same speed great. If they know how to use cruise control great.

Otherwise see ya at camp!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see I’m not off my rocker about this.

Hauling a trailer all day is tiring enough without adding a game of cat and mouse to it.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TexasShadow wrote:

I agree with you. Cell phones will keep you connected as much as you need or want and meeting for lunch breaks or rest stops, etc will keep you fairly close in miles.

We often travel as groups of 2-4 and rely on portable radios rather than cell phones.

we don't rely on cell phones. we travel to many places without cell coverage for as much as 100+ miles.

What has worked well for us is a GOOD set of portable radios. They are good for a few miles range in most cases so we can coordinate rest stops, etc. etc. and keep in touch. Also these are much easier to use than a cell. just push the talk button and your connected.

look on ebay for baofeng UV5r radios. they also recieve the weather service channels.

for a similar radio that is more rugged, Rugged Radios often has a sale on RH5R radios. a Baofeng made for them that is more rugged. We use them for offroad motorcycle riding and they last a few years with lots of abuse.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need to stay in sight, but within 10 miles or so would be better off.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 11:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we travel together with our friends with a class A, if there's a nasty head wind I draft him. Makes for a nice ride for us.
If no headwind, I generally leave him in the dust.
But we don't care if we stay close or not.

If you're traveling together, I'd kick back and draft that 5ver with the popup and buy him some extra beer for the bump in mileage.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years, we’ve done ‘em all: stay in sight, separate but radios, separate but cell phones, just cars, trucks, towing, you name, we’ve done it. My opinion and preference is whatever your comfort level, but there are reasons God gave us radios and cell phones and allowed us to decide in advance where to meet up.

Momma ain’t happy, nobody’s happy. So let the wives drive the first leg sticking together like glue. If that doesn’t resolve the question, maybe it’s the wrong question.

tdiller

usa

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This same sort of thing happens with groups of motorcycles. There is usually three of us on the bikes. Me, my wife, and my son. We each like to ride a bit differently and will sometimes get separated. I'll usually stick with my wife but we just tell my son we'll meet up with him at our destination. My wife and I have a helmet communications system that can use bluetooth or our cell phones for a longer distance of communications. I can be ahead and let her know of any road hazards or traffic. Or I can call my son who is probably waiting at the appointed meet up spot. When we camp with friends it's pretty much "We'll see you at the campground"

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on who its with. If everyone has a newer reliable rig then will meet at lunch or see you at camp. My parents have an older rig so i tend to stay behind them. let dad leave 1/2 hour ahead of me. That way if he breaks down i can either stop to help or find parts before i get to him.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in groups nearly every time we go out. No we don't try to stay together. We all know where the CG is. I tend to drive a little slower while towing than they do. So, unless we leave before they do, we are the last one to arrive.

Sad you think. Maybe not. Often they already have supper ready, and are there to help setup. More often they just watch. But it don't take long, and when I'm done. The fire is already going.so I'm good.

something else to think about while traveling together. You can only drive ONE vehicle. You can't drive your vehicle in a way to try to keep the others close. Well, You can. But you will soon learn. it is the ones behind that get the speeding tickets from trying to catch up after something got in the way. Or got stopped by a light.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most times traveling as a "group" of two vehicles is not convenient for us due to when we can actually leave the house after work. When we do travel together we try to maintain visual contact but it is understood that traffic happens. There is no need to be right behind the other guy. If we get to occasional visual contact the co-pilots will send a text making sure everything is good. If all is well the lead may drop a few MPH over the long run until the tail catches up some. If someone needs a comfort break communicating that fact is simple enough. "Next place you see to pull off for a potty break, take it."
Currently, we seldom travel more than four hours to a camping destination. And if we do the other couple needs to stop for fuel somewhere along the way. Might as well be half way so we can all stretch and get back on the road.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.