Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/05/20 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phew, these first world problems sure do get complicated sometimes! Lol

I do like Terryallens approach. Drive slow and when you get there, the friends have everything ready for you!
Do you phone ahead when you’re 5 min out so they have a fresh cocktail poured too?
My buddy does, but he brings the firewood so I pour him a double!


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

Full Member

Joined: 04/26/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/05/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Phew, these first world problems sure do get complicated sometimes! Lol

I do like Terryallens approach. Drive slow and when you get there, the friends have everything ready for you!
Do you phone ahead when you’re 5 min out so they have a fresh cocktail poured too?
My buddy does, but he brings the firewood so I pour him a double!


I always like being there first! i feel like i put more thought in to the campsite layout than everyone else. That way if i have to take someone else's site in my group to better suit our layout i can.
by the time everyone else gets there my feet are up and i can kick back!

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/05/20 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Phew, these first world problems sure do get complicated sometimes! Lol

I do like Terryallens approach. Drive slow and when you get there, the friends have everything ready for you!
Do you phone ahead when you’re 5 min out so they have a fresh cocktail poured too?
My buddy does, but he brings the firewood so I pour him a double!


I always like being there first! i feel like i put more thought in to the campsite layout than everyone else. That way if i have to take someone else's site in my group to better suit our layout i can.
by the time everyone else gets there my feet are up and i can kick back!


First world problems just got serious.....
"Taking someone else's site in my group" We USED to have someone in our group that did that..... didn't go over well. Of curse it depends on the situation. If the original site will not fit the camper that is registered for that site, after making a phone call to get permission from someone else in the group, then taking another site might be okay.
Not just because, "That site doesn't have any shade and I got here first".


2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/04/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/05/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never really had trouble staying together when traveling in groups. My daughter and I just did it. Traveled from NJ to GA, 800 miles. She was never more than a few cars from me the entire trip. Pulled into the driveway right after I did.

Just don't stress about it. Getting separated in traffic is inevitable. Keep the slowest driver in the lead and just follow behind.

-Michael


Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

Full Member

Joined: 04/26/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/05/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

ZINGERLITE wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Phew, these first world problems sure do get complicated sometimes! Lol

I do like Terryallens approach. Drive slow and when you get there, the friends have everything ready for you!
Do you phone ahead when you’re 5 min out so they have a fresh cocktail poured too?
My buddy does, but he brings the firewood so I pour him a double!


I always like being there first! i feel like i put more thought in to the campsite layout than everyone else. That way if i have to take someone else's site in my group to better suit our layout i can.
by the time everyone else gets there my feet are up and i can kick back!


First world problems just got serious.....
"Taking someone else's site in my group" We USED to have someone in our group that did that..... didn't go over well. Of curse it depends on the situation. If the original site will not fit the camper that is registered for that site, after making a phone call to get permission from someone else in the group, then taking another site might be okay.
Not just because, "That site doesn't have any shade and I got here first".


I have the smaller camper which means i can fit in tighter spots. as well as get my truck in and out of tighter spots. If the other couples site works out better so all they have to do is back in then i go for it. We like having awning face each other. No site stealing from me. Just thinking creatively for the enjoyment of the group!


I'll add that im usually the one entrusted with booking the sites. I use my best guess with booking pictures and google maps to guess the lay out. If i guess wrong i can correct it the best i can before the other trailer shows up.

* This post was edited 02/05/20 12:41pm by ZINGERLITE *

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/08/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/05/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

ZINGERLITE wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Phew, these first world problems sure do get complicated sometimes! Lol

I do like Terryallens approach. Drive slow and when you get there, the friends have everything ready for you!
Do you phone ahead when you’re 5 min out so they have a fresh cocktail poured too?
My buddy does, but he brings the firewood so I pour him a double!


I always like being there first! i feel like i put more thought in to the campsite layout than everyone else. That way if i have to take someone else's site in my group to better suit our layout i can.
by the time everyone else gets there my feet are up and i can kick back!


First world problems just got serious.....
"Taking someone else's site in my group" We USED to have someone in our group that did that..... didn't go over well. Of curse it depends on the situation. If the original site will not fit the camper that is registered for that site, after making a phone call to get permission from someone else in the group, then taking another site might be okay.
Not just because, "That site doesn't have any shade and I got here first".


I have the smaller camper which means i can fit in tighter spots. as well as get my truck in and out of tighter spots. If the other couples site works out better so all they have to do is back in then i go for it. We like having awning face each other. No site stealing from me. Just thinking creatively for the enjoyment of the group!


I'll add that im usually the one entrusted with booking the sites. I use my best guess with booking pictures and google maps to guess the lay out. If i guess wrong i can correct it the best i can before the other trailer shows up.

Team player doing it for the right reasons. I like it.

whjco

Lexington, KY

Senior Member

Joined: 01/26/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/05/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Attempting to travel together with two entirely different types of vehicles can be stressful, especially if traveling through major population areas with heavy traffic. The trip will be much more enjoyable if you want to schedule some rendezvous points but not try to stay together.

I also drive charter buses and we'll sometimes have as many as 7 buses traveling together. It can be a real hassle, particularly if we get in towns with traffic lights.


Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/05/20 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp for a week every year with family and friends at a really nice resort, it's a tradition.

And every year the 4 hr drive turns into a ruckus simply because everyone wants to hang together.

AND I say it every year.....it's nearly impossible to keep 100 yards of RV together.

I'm sneaking out a day early this year.

bucky

Raleigh metro

Senior Member

Joined: 05/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/06/20 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We RV to get away by ourselves. We do travel sometimes with one other couple but never stay together.
Our aging parents and younger grand kids are demanding when we are home, so bye bye for a while.
One daughter gets mad at us when we take an extended trip as if our soul purpose in life is to help her with the grand kids. The other daughter who also has 2 kids says see ya, have a good time.


2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL


JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Online
Posted: 02/06/20 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back in the day we enjoyed getting a group of motorcycles together for a ride. But if we needed to travel we had a rule of thump. If you could get there in 5 hours by yourself, add at least half hour for a passenger. 2 bikes, will take 7 hours. 3 bikes, close to 10. More than 3 bikes? Go in 2 groups.
The owner of the last company I was leased to would get upset with me because I did not like to convoy with the other trucks. I could run with a couple of drivers, but we would call each other tell when/where we where stopping and leaving. We might eat supper and breakfast together, not see the rest of day.
I think that boss understood how I could get more done when I did not know he was in CB range. Another driver broadcast "We need to stop at the next town" I asked why. "I need to get a pack of cigarettes" That means you need to stop, but I have work to do, see you on the way back.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Traveling in a group— How do you handle it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.