Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How best to upgrade Microsoft Office 2010?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> How best to upgrade Microsoft Office 2010?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
crcr

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This question is about Microsoft Office. I mostly use Google Docs and Google Sheets, as opposed to Microsoft Office. For my usage anyway, they work just as well or better than M-soft Office because they include the bonus that I can easily access any Google Docs I have created, from the cloud on my laptop or my phone when we are on a camping trip, something that I can't do with my M-soft Office 2010.
FYI, my PC is a Windows 10 machine.

I am still using Microsoft Office 2010 on my PC, because it serves my limited personal needs. However, I volunteer some of my time with my church and in that capacity, I regularly receive Microsoft Office docs via email. The problem is that M-soft Office 2010 won't open the docs I am sent that are created with more current versions of M-soft Office. Sometimes by forwarding to my Gmail account, any emails I receive that have M-soft docs attached, I can open said M-Office docs there, but unfortunately this does not work every time.

So for reasons stated I would like to upgrade my Microsoft Office. But because it is of limited use to me, I want to upgrade as economically as possible. I also would prefer not to lose my current M-soft Office docs on my PC, although I might consider sacrificing that option. So in that regard, I have been shopping around, but am not sure which way to go, so I am posting here in hopes of some relevant advice.

Three Options I am considering:

1) Pay $90 at Costco.com for a 15 month subscription to Office 365, which of course would have to be paid annually. Since I use M-Soft Office so little, this option is not very attractive at all.

2) Buy M-soft Office 2019 Pro on eBay for prices ranging from $5.99 for a download to $55 for a DVD. At the second link below, I see M-Office 2016 sells for the same price as M-soft Office 2019, and 2016 way outsells 2019! Why is that? And which is preferable, the 2016 or 2019 version? Click here

2016 option

If I were to go this route, will the cheap downloads work, or is it wiser to buy the DVD? Does anyone have any idea how long Office 2016 or 2019 would be compatible with ever-newer versions of M-soft Office?

3) Buy M-soft Office 365 downloads on ebay for as little as $5. I see at this link: Click here

I'm hoping some on this forum might have some suggestions as to which of the stated options would likely work the best and yet be an economical choice. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

WNYBob

Tonawanda, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Watching, as to if the really cheap prices are just spam.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to MS your Office 2010 IS compatible and capable to read newer versions of Office including Office 365 which is a moving target that changes versions often.

see HERE for more info.

What you may be seeing as not being compatible is Newer Office versions are by default set to much higher security settings which may be preventing you from opening documents.

Office 2007 and lower required a add on "compatibility pack" in order to be able to open the newer "docX" type of files, 2010 does not.

IF the documents you are having issues with opening and reading are docM (Macro Enabled) I believe they should also be readable with Office 2010 but by default, Macros ARE disabled for security reasons and you MUST enable the Macros feature in your Office installation.

Just be aware, opening UNKNOWN source documents with Macros enabled can put your PC at high risk for malware, viruses, keyloggers and other bad guy payloads to execute in the background without your knowledge! Do so at your own risk.

You can do a Internet search to find how enable Macros for your version.

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're still having problems after considering Gdetrailer's post, maybe try downloading LibreOffice, a free open source office suite very similar to Microsoft Office. Try opening the MS documents in LibreOffice and see if they work.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

leasing software sucks

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

If you're still having problems after considering Gdetrailer's post, maybe try downloading LibreOffice, a free open source office suite very similar to Microsoft Office. Try opening the MS documents in LibreOffice and see if they work.

LibreOffice or even older OpenOffice which both are free can open docX file types, however docM types may or may not open or if they open the Macros may not function (I have never tried that although I do have some docM files I could try to see if they open in OpenOffice sometime as an experiment). If I remember correctly Macros required some specific MS software runtimes that OpenOffice does not have, can't say for sure of LibreOffice.

But hey, free can be good also.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

leasing software sucks

I agree and IF the OP finds they really need to upgrade MS Office, I would recommend seeing if they can secure a copy of 2016 Office as it was still being offered as non leased..

I believe the 2019 Office is now only offered as a lease from the last email I have had from MS (I am able to buy through the MS "HUP" (Home User) program since my employer participates in that program so I get first offering emails to new versions at a substantially discounted price if I want to buy).

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I and others have office 2007. I regularly receive office documents made with the current versions of office. I have never had a problem opening the files. There are some features that may not be editable etc. but you should be able to open the documents. Microsoft also claims 2007 and 2010 will open all 2013 and 2016 documents, but may not support all the features.

2003 needs a add in from microsoft to open .docx files.

So.... If your having problems opening documents check microsoft website for soutions to your problem. If it won't open .docx files, you may need the docx add in from microsoft. (free)

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 03:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A non-subscription version of Microsoft Office 2019 is available from Microsoft for $249.99:

Microsoft Office

Scroll down to bottom of page and click "Buy Now".

* This post was edited 02/05/20 03:36am by Tom_M *

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crcr wrote:

I am still using Microsoft Office 2010 on my PC, because it serves my limited personal needs. However, I volunteer some of my time with my church and in that capacity, I regularly receive Microsoft Office docs via email. The problem is that M-soft Office 2010 won't open the docs I am sent that are created with more current versions of M-soft Office. Sometimes by forwarding to my Gmail account, any emails I receive that have M-soft docs attached, I can open said M-Office docs there, but unfortunately this does not work every time.

I'm having a hard time reconciling this as my installation of Office 2010 opens documents without regard to what version they were created in - new or old. Do these documents have either a .doc or .docx file type extension?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> How best to upgrade Microsoft Office 2010?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.