Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pumping out of a water jug
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pumping out of a water jug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two old Tuco 5 gallon water jugs that have an internal hose (removable) and a threaded small cap where the water can be pumped out of the jug when hooked to a pump.
If looks like about a garden hose size thread.
There is a big opening for pouring and filling.

I cannot find more jugs that have this internal hose feature.

If I knew exactly if other jugs had the same threads then I could move the hose as needed, but really am looking for a jug that can be used with a pump.

Are these out there anymore?

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was looking at how to transfer water last year. I have Aqua-tainer style jugs, which I do recommend, but they don't have the siphon hose, which I think you are referring to. On Amazon I found several submersible pumps that I think would have fit through the opening on the jugs, when the entire cap was removed.

I didn't end up going that way, so I can't say much more about the pumps than to just suggest you take a look.

I ended up making a shelf to support a jug, laying on its side, and gravity draining into our fill port. I can still lift a 7 gal jug, just don't care to hold it up for a long time while it drains, and that's where the shelf comes in.

The threads for the spout on the Aqua-tainer are garden hose size, which also happens to be 3/4" NPT. I'm sure a creative mind could figure out how to create a siphon hose using a plastic pipe nipple and a piece of hose passing through. So that's another idea for you.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an alternative perhaps, one of these works with all sorts of containers. I have used it to fill the FW tank in the RV from a bucket sitting on the ground. Inverter to run the drill.

I did notice the MSW inverter ran the drill slowly, but it was still enough to get the water up into the trailer. A PSW would be a little faster.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste........QYAiABEgKQJPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=366

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can "Home brew"

Take a plastic barbed fitting attach clear tubing to the "in the tank" part and drill a hole in the cap. Drop a washer (Stainless) over the fitting (I'd suggest 1/2 inch IPT on the barb fitting and washer) then shove it throught the same size hole in cap. Now drop on a 2nd washer Brass on this side Then screw on a brass hose coupler (your choice of gender) and job done. Cap or plug the hose coupler for transport You may want a small vent hole or just losen the cap.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get a cheap 12v pump from Amazon for less than $20. You won't have to lift or hold the water jug.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good ideas…

I have a regular RV pump. I have a 10 gallon RV water tank, very small, and two 5 gallon jugs with the siphon (that the word).
I want 40 gallons…, but will make do.
I have a tiny 12v pump too, probably like that $20 mentioned, and maybe it would be easiest to transfer water to the 10 gallon tank, or maybe just move the siphon hose around to the full jugs.

I imagine each trip requires different amts of water, so not always taking 40 gallons as I would boondocking many days in the where-to-find-water western states. It is a small space so not having a 40 gallon tank eat up space is a huge bonus during times I do not need that much water. I also like the option to move jugs to the truck or outside to make more space in camper.

I will be happy with 20 gallons though, and with jugs it is easier to find places to fill than trying to run a hose to an RV.

If I can find good jugs then one option is to not mount any RV tanks, but just use the portable ones as needed.

I'm still in the think out loud phase so feel free to have opinions

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carboy with threaded connector

They are called carboys and since these are for labs the prices are outrageous. That's because real labs have contracts with the lab supply companies and the labs pay deeply discounted prices. But the 12V pump is the best idea

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Carboy with threaded connector

They are called carboys and since these are for labs the prices are outrageous. That's because real labs have contracts with the lab supply companies and the labs pay deeply discounted prices. But the 12V pump is the best idea

Here is what a Carboy really is (can't resist having this memory flash seeing "carboys" mentioned)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboy

I remember these from home-brewing days making beer. I used the one-bottle method, which meant the beer sat in the bottles for a month or so with the gunk (forget the correct term) settling until the beer in the upper part of the bottle was clear. Then you had to pour it carefully tipping into a tipped glass so not get any gunk in your glass of beer.

The "two-bottle" method avoided that, so you didn't get any gunk in the beer bottles. My method meant you could not take it over to your friend's place or it would re-mix bumping down the road. It did not "travel well". [emoticon]

My friend made wine and used carboys for that. The idea was it took six months to make wine. So he got apples from my trees in the Fall, and we drank his wine at Xmas. We declared the six months was up [emoticon]

Only useful for RVers in the USA in the ? Ozarks ? dodging the "Revenoors" AFAIK. ( No fear of those guys in Nova Scotia back in the day )

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you can legally make small quantities of beer or wine legally in the US. Beer for sure they sell kits to do it.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added a dip hose to a Hydroller and connect it to the city water inlet with a short hose. With the onboard water pump, I can use from the Hydroller or drawn the water and send it to the tank. No pump, wires or switches to buy and play with and it is sanitary because the system is closed except for loosening the cap for venting. In the trailer, I only needed a tee, check valve and clamps to make it work.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pumping out of a water jug
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.