Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Where do full timers go out west to escape the heat?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Where do full timers go out west to escape the heat?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on where you'll be moving to in AZ, the summer (100+) can be up to 6 months a year. In 2019, the first 100 degree day for the metro Phoenix area was in April and the last in October. Some areas can get even hotter.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

Depending on where you'll be moving to in AZ, the summer (100+) can be up to 6 months a year. In 2019, the first 100 degree day for the metro Phoenix area was in April and the last in October. Some areas can get even hotter.

We're talking 120* in the Phoenix area.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

ItsyRV wrote:

We're talking 120* in the Phoenix area.

Yep and last year the Phoenix metro area broke the record for the most 110+ degree days in a year. I had people try telling me some sob story about where they come from and hitting 100 degrees one time. I have to remind them that in this area it may never get below 100 degrees even at night so be prepared.

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alaska is nice! [emoticon] Although last summer had a week or two of hot weather.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is so much to see and do in the OR/WA area, that would be my suggestion. I think if I could only pick 2 places to live it would be the NW in the Summer and the SW in the Winter.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we live in San Antonio TX area, so in late July, August and Sept, we head for high altitudes. We like camping up by Dutch John in Flaming Gorge, UT. We like camping near Pinedale, WY, and we love camping in the Tetons Nat'l park in Jackson Hole.
Sometimes, we go up the west side of the Tetons to Henry's Lake ID, and tool around Yellowstone Park from there. Then we head east over to Cody, which can still be warm but not overly so in Sept. Then we go to Custer SD to take in the big buffalo roundup festival at the end of Sept before heading south toward home.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent this past summer on the northern coast of the Olympic Peninsula in Washington. It was windbreakers most of the time except midday (when the sun was out) while the grandkids were at swim meets in Baltimore where the heat index was 130. I don't think we used the ACs and we were using the electric fireplace by the time we left on September 15.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Pacific NW is definitely on our target list. We understand reservations ahead of time will be required. We are trying to establish a long term routine such as we have when snowbirding in the winter from Colorado to Arizona.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

There is so much to see and do in the OR/WA area, that would be my suggestion. I think if I could only pick 2 places to live it would be the NW in the Summer and the SW in the Winter.

That's essentially what we are doing!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarbaraOK wrote:

Bill.Satellite wrote:

That's essentially what we are doing!

Spend September in California (some days still hit 100 occasionally) slowly working south. We have friends in the SF area, so always spend a week or so at San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica under our Thousand Trails membership. If you are going to do the PNW, really recommend at least a TT Zone Pass for the PNW (even better a 2-1 deal for both PNW and SW zones). It will pay for itself quickly, LOTS of TT parks in Washington and Oregon.

We usually cross the Colorado River into Arizona about October 1st, still a few hot days, but nights by then you don't have to run AC and, at least in the Phoenix/Mesa area, there is no one around. We really love October and early November when so few people are around.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Where do full timers go out west to escape the heat?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.