cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Land Between the Lakes

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for input for Land Between the Lakes campgrounds. Thoughts on the various campgrounds if you have stayed at more than one. Are there any that you wouldn't go back to, if not, why?

Naturally, we would like to have a site on the water, but we enjoy heavily wooded sites too.

We are looking at the Piney Campground in the Southern area. Any other nice ones you have experienced in that area?

And, yes, we have searched the archives on this site regarding Land Between the Lakes, before anyone suggests that. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Regards,
The Piddlers
13 REPLIES 13

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again everyone! We appreciate the input.

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
machunt wrote:
I too would love to see this area. we have a 40 ft 5th wheel and all this talk about tight roads and not convinent for larger trailers. which campgrounds for a larger vehicles?

You can stay in any of them. There are large pull through sites. Look at the maps online and it should help, then call the campground (not the reservation line) and ask them for advice about the sites. The people that work the gate are usually staying in the CG so they know the area and understand hauling an RV.

For Canal Campground, the satellite view is clear enough to get a feel for it. Others have too many trees.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

machunt
Explorer
Explorer
I too would love to see this area. we have a 40 ft 5th wheel and all this talk about tight roads and not convinent for larger trailers. which campgrounds for a larger vehicles?

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Piney first and Hillman ferry next. We liked Piney the best. Nice clean and lots of room right on the lake. Hillman had old and tired bath houses. It was also up off the lake. This was a couple years ago so things may have changed.

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a big fan of Piney. My favorite areas are Dogwood and Black Oak.
Some full hook ups in Dogwood but most sites only have electric, you must fill water tank from hydrants near by so have some water hose with you. But you can go by the dump station and fill up (clean water for filling is there) when you get there.
Piney has a nice store and church on Sundays.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

Piddlers
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the comments!!

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a word of caution, from our experiences, bring an extension cord for your RV. Most Kentucky State Parks leave a lot to be desired in the way of electrical hook ups. Seems their power poles are shared among at least 2 sites and because of that are generally a good distance away.
COE parks are, as usual great! Most LBL CGs are primitive to my knowledge.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Canal twice.Many spots on the water. Very nice campground.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We camped at Energy Lake and really enjoyed it. It's smaller and probably quieter than the others.

I drove around Piney and Hillman Ferry CGs, and those don't seem too shabby.

Next time I camp there, I'd like to try Hurricane Creek. Seems to have plenty of favorable reviews.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Hillman Ferry Campground...and would recommend it. Some of the sites are on the lake.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Living in the area, we go to LBL at least once a year, and usually several times. There a limited number of full hookup sitee, so a reservation would be a good idea. Most of the others have power and water only. We have stayed at all but one of the campgrounds, Energy Lake is not really suited for our 30' class A, but is nice for smaller rigs, and is preferred by many. All have water access, and many waterside sites, but are premium priced, and well worth the slight extra. Our choice is always determined by what else we are planning while in the area,
We actually prefer Hillman Ferry over Piney, but it is a lot further from us. If travelling across I-24, Hillman Ferry or Canal are best choices. Canal is COE, but it is a lot older, and can be tight for bigger rigs. Most sites have plenty of space from neighbors, but some areas of Hillman Ferry are pretty close.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have stayed several times in this general area but always at the north end. I will mention some of the campgrounds:

Kentucky Dam State Park. Older park, service connections farther back than most. Nice, quiet park. Would definitely go back.

Hurricane Creek, COE on Barkley Lake. Very nice COE park. Some beautiful sites overlooking the lake. Would definitely go back.

Canal COE. Another good COE park. Busier than Hurricane Creek. Lots of "old timers" who come back each year. Near to nice little town of Grand Rivers, KY. Handier to town than others. Would definitely go back.

Since I would go back to all of them??? Well, that depends on how they might fit into my trip. None of them were my destination, but that doesn't mean they would not qualify for being so.

There are many other campgrounds in the general area that would be just as acceptable. These are the ones I have stayed in.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We've been several times - we enjoy that whole area. SOME campsites are a little tight, but most will fit anything. The roads throughout are well maintained.

We have not been to every CG there, so I'd ask the rangers when you get there, but mostly you will find plenty of space.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic