cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 1200 operates without ground connected

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I have been working on my Norcold 1200 again and have noticed that the unit will power up and operate when only connecting the 12 volt (+) supply to the rear control board connector labeled "12V". The connector labeled GND can be disconnected totally. Obviously there refrigerator is somehow already grounded somewhere, but I am wondering if this is a problem or is normal??
16 REPLIES 16

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
It is normal to have metal pipe grounded to stop any potential (or at least reduce the chance) arcing.
It could be a higher resistance then a good solid ground connection via a copper wire.

yes. I have it re-connected to the ground wire.
I was re-connecting everything when I noticed that if I connected the 12V before the ground wire, the propane igniter engaged and the burner lit. I now have the GND connector on the ground copper wire again.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is normal to have metal pipe grounded to stop any potential (or at least reduce the chance) arcing.
It could be a higher resistance then a good solid ground connection via a copper wire.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
kmb1966 wrote:
I have been working on my Norcold 1200 again and have noticed that the unit will power up and operate when only connecting the 12 volt (+) supply to the rear control board connector labeled "12V". The connector labeled GND can be disconnected totally. Obviously there refrigerator is somehow already grounded somewhere, but I am wondering if this is a problem or is normal??

I think you all missed the question "Is this a problem or is it normal?".
No it is not normal which you can gather from all the responses trying to help you figure out how it's possible. But is it a problem? Probably not but I guess that's where you have to define your meaning of the word problem. Should the actual ground be fixed or attached? Absolutely.

Sounds to me like it is normal to have grounded copper piping. The OP has the ground wire disconnected and intends to put it back so also no problem that I can see.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
kmb1966 wrote:

I think you all missed the question "Is this a problem or is it normal?".
No it is not normal which you can gather from all the responses trying to help you figure out how it's possible. But is it a problem? Probably not but I guess that's where you have to define your meaning of the word problem. Should the actual ground be fixed or attached? Absolutely.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Those fuses failing is fairly common, the holder gets loose and/or corroded, and the ~300-450 watts continuos heats them up.
Checking fit and a bit of dielectric grease eliminates the problem.
The real tricky problem with the glass fuses is if they heat up the element can come unsoldered from the end cap- fuse looks good visually but doesnโ€™t conduct.
-- Chris Bryant

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Those fuses carry 120v to the heating elements. If the heating elements short out, the fuse should blow. There's one for each element in the 1200 model.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Another issue I had with the 1200, and possibly other models;

AC side of my 1200 died one afternoon. I found that the AC glass fuse holder on one side had a bad connection that started heating up melting the solder on the board. The connector failed. Ended up purchasing a new board at 100 plus smackers!

Found this;

on the web and was able to get the board back to 100%
Now I have a spare!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not a good idea to have electricity flowing through a pipe that is carrying flammable gas
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
Do you have copper propane piping? One of my refrigerators ran on the hot & the propane copper pipe until the broken ground was discovered.

yes. that has to be how it is being grounded.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Chris Bryant wrote:
vermilye wrote:
Do you have copper propane piping? One of my refrigerators ran on the hot & the propane copper pipe until the broken ground was discovered.

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Yup, he nailed it!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
-- Chris Bryant

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Is the refrigerator metal frame in any way touching the trailer metal frame? Trailer frame is ground, and the fridge internal 12 v ground may also be connected to the refrigerator frame.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is possible that one of the screws holding the circuit board has a ground connection.
The 120 volt element could be going to ground

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker