cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southern Ca to Coeur d’Alene Idaho

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - we are planning a 3 week road trip late June from so cal to Coeur d’Alene Idaho. We want to stop at the Tetons National Park and Yellowstone. Looking for best route and campgrounds. We are towing a bumper pull 30’ toy hauler. We don’t want to come back the same way so looking for different routes and places to see.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker
12 REPLIES 12

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
I second the idea of two lane roads in central Id. There is so much to experience out here.
If you're stuck with just a few days this way---I-15 in Montana up toward Dillon, check the map for the "Pioneer Mountain scenic byway." We did that loop last summer and it is truly pavement through the wilds. Nice CG's, a hot springs, 7800 ft elevation, starry nights, and wildlife. Few gas stations or food stores, but the miles aren't many, and well worth it.

This is a 3 week trip. I’ll check it out that route, Thanks!

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I second the idea of two lane roads in central Id. There is so much to experience out here.
If you're stuck with just a few days this way---I-15 in Montana up toward Dillon, check the map for the "Pioneer Mountain scenic byway." We did that loop last summer and it is truly pavement through the wilds. Nice CG's, a hot springs, 7800 ft elevation, starry nights, and wildlife. Few gas stations or food stores, but the miles aren't many, and well worth it.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
We hit up St.Anthony sand dunes then back tracked to the 26 to Jackson.

You taking toys?

Sounds fun, but No toys.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
We hit up St.Anthony sand dunes then back tracked to the 26 to Jackson.

You taking toys?
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could come up US 93 almost all the way to Craters of the moon

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
RickLight wrote:
Sawtooth area and Salmon River, ID 75, 21, 55 to US95 are phenomenal areas. Way off the beaten path! Some of the best scenery, hiking, fishing, hot springs, etc. in the region.

Craters of the Moon should not be missed! "Unique" barely starts the description!
wow! Thanks for suggesting Craters of the Moon that place looks Awesome!

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
pfidahospud wrote:
If it were me...I15 to Hwy93, to Hwy318, to Hwy93, then Hwy75 through the most scenic parts of Idaho, then north to Missoula and west on I90.
Google Map link

Thank you! We love to scenic rides.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Easiest but less scenic is I-15 to US 26 near Idaho Falls, ID then US 189 into Jackson, WY

Good to know in case we change of plans and decide to spend more time in Yellow stone.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any route will be good once you get past Vegas......and out of the desert.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sawtooth area and Salmon River, ID 75, 21, 55 to US95 are phenomenal areas. Way off the beaten path! Some of the best scenery, hiking, fishing, hot springs, etc. in the region.

Craters of the Moon should not be missed! "Unique" barely starts the description!
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me...I15 to Hwy93, to Hwy318, to Hwy93, then Hwy75 through the most scenic parts of Idaho, then north to Missoula and west on I90.
Google Map link

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Easiest but less scenic is I-15 to US 26 near Idaho Falls, ID then US 189 into Jackson, WY

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker