cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clearing the snow from the solar panels

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
It is just a graph showing the panels waking up at the crack-of-Noon.

The graph covers a two hour period. The panels were covered with about 6 inches of snow last night.

There are two solar systems each consisting a 200W panel with an MPPT controller. The graph is an overlay of both systems. There are two legends. The data is gathered at one minute intervals from the controllers by a Raspberry Pi 3B.

Each controller is producing about 50W or 25%. The panels are not tilted to 60 degrees and the sky is completely overcast with more snow expected this PM.

HTH;
John
4 REPLIES 4

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
full_mosey wrote:
DIY. I have Morningstar controllers and have basically re-engineered their free MSView software into the Raspberry(RPI).

Very cool. I have several RPIs and Arduinos, but have not tapped into my solar controller. I like the portability of the RPI for wireless internet access in the RV.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Even a light coating of dust will kill output. Had panels on our boat and if the output was low, did a quick rinse and brush with fresh water and you would see the output double.

Not as difficult on an RV but watch for shadows. A surprisingly small shadow will kill output.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
I love technical data on graphs. Was this graph from output of the controller or did you DIY it?

DIY. I have Morningstar controllers and have basically re-engineered their free MSView software into the Raspberry(RPI).

One big improvement is that the RPI connects to my hotspot and provides a web server that I can reach through any web browser device which is also connected to my hotspot. The graph is a screenshot posted from my workstation located inside the house. The van is in the driveway.

Here is a 10 day stacked-bar graph showing the daily Amp hours of charging from the two controllers. I included the Firefox window where you can see the IP Address of the RPI.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I love technical data on graphs. Was this graph from output of the controller or did you DIY it?
There is something special about camping in an RV.