cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best battery maintainer.

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
During long storage periods in Florida, my converter will boil off a significant amount of battery acid. Would a small trickle charger be better to use than the converter? I need to keep the AC power on to operate a dehumidifier but with a trickle charger I could turn off the converter. Thanks.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3
13 REPLIES 13

Jerry_B
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I'll purchase a Battery Tender and give it a whirl. I'll pull the breaker on the converter. We found that leaving a dehumidifier on set at 50% RH keeps the trailer fresh during the long humid Florida summers. Thanks everyone.
Jerry B
Mobile Suites 36TK3

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
I use a battery maintainer I got from harbor freight for $4.95. Works great and have had it for several years. Use on both truck and trailer.(have two)

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
yay, solar ... except that I just had to go scrape the snow off the panels again today ... and tomorrow ...and Saturday ... ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
x3 on solar. We have several PulseTech 12 amp chargers that are meant for use on equipment that's in storage for long periods of time. Voltage varies and drops to a float state when needed and ramps up enough to desulfate. I had one on my rig with 2 6v batteries, for several months last year, and never had to add water. Here's the link: https://www.pulsetech.net/store/solar-battery-chargers/12v-solar-chargers/sp-12-solarpulse-12v-batte.... Not cheap, but cheaper than killing batteries.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Solar has been the best battery tender I've ever used. I have precise control over voltages and in over a year, I've hardly added any water.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I take my snowmobile batteries out each spring and put them in garage and on tenders. Same w/ RV battery in fall ('cept this one goes in cellar). I have "Battery Tender" brand as well as Harber Freight specials. To be honest, for the cost of the HFS, they have held up well w/o any problems. Going on few years now.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

When I added my first Lifeline batteries I called them directly to ask a few questions. One of my questions was exactly this, what is the best care..

They did not even hesitate when saying to use - Noco Charger
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would, and do use a Battery Tender.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I would also disconnect, top off with distilled water and charge as needed once/twice in a winter. If you insist on having battery left on a "maintainer" then I can also vouch that Deltran's battery tenders are a great product
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry B wrote:
Would a small trickle charger be better to use than the converter?

Yes
mhardin wrote:
Battery Tender.

The "industry standard" !
2oldman wrote:
Better to disconnect the batteries (from the converter) and charge only occasionally.

Concur

Plug your Battery Tender into an inexpensive mechanical lamp timer and only charge the batteries for about 4 hours/day.

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
Or a Battery Tender. They make different models for different uses.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or solar.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Better to disconnect the batteries and charge only occasionally. Or get AGMs.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman