Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Toadless car renters
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Toadless car renters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had a 21' Class B+ and now are moving up to a 26' unit.
Wanting to camp & sight see near some congested areas and are leery of taking the larger unit into the locals. Thusly thinking of renting a car while there (Pensacola, FL). Question is are car rental companies willing to bring the car to the campground and days later pick it up? I heard that this is a common practice. Which company is your preferred one?
Thought I'd post this here rather than calling half a dozen companies.
thanks.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enterprise claims,,,
"We'll pick you up"

When I needed a rental car a couple of years ago, they did pick me up, and I live over 20 miles out of town and away from their location, with a mile long gravel driveway.

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enterprise rent a car will pick up, and you drive it back to them and they give you a ride back. So.e larger campgrounds have local rental cars onsite too. It usually will state this on the campground website

Proud father of a US Marine

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some Enterprise locations will pick you up to get the car and some will take you back to your RV when returning the car. you’ll need to call first. other rental outfits may as well. again, call. while we were toad-less it was quite the hassle to rent. seemed to take forever. once i waited at the office for about an hour for another staffer to show up so we could get a ride back. your other option might be to uber/lyft to/from the office.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enterprise is the one most likely to pick you up and drop you off as that is part of their philosophy. But it is an office by office, staffing by staffing decision. During peak rental times and periods, they just may not be able to accommodate you on your schedule so call and speak to them in advance.

If your flexible and willing to work with them, you'll be surprised what you can get. I reserved for a busy Friday and returning Monday. They offered to pick me up late on Thursday (I mean 9pm), but only charge me for weekend special if I agreed. And I got a full size luxury car at midsize car rates just because it was a special rental that was returned and it wasn't schedule for picked up back to the pool until Tuesday so to them it was banked money. Flexibility get the best results.

Also check local shuttles in touristy areas as they may stop near the campground and where the rental cars are located. And as said, check with the campground office as there could be some arrangements they can make for you.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time I rented an Enterprise it was (with insurance) something like 300 bucks for the weekend. I later found my existing vehicle insurance (The RV policy) would NOT have covered it so .... good thing.

My Towed. Is a bit older (2001) and cost me 2000 dollars when I bought it
Plus about another 2000 to make it towable

And I've put about 1000 in it since 2013 not counting oil, filters, tires and gasoline. I'd say it is way way way cheaper to tow.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turo is another option. The cars are less expensive to rent too. We used them a few times, without a hiccup.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tried going without a toad and depending on rental companies. Alas we found areas where there were no rental companies. Rentals also aren’t a lot of help if you break down in the middle of nowhere.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just want to get around and you don't care about look or ride or keeping up with the Joneses, a toad is way cheaper then renting.

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We quit using a toad in favor of Enterprise. So much easier getting around and finding places to park. No worrying about having to unhook if you have to back up somewhere.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Toadless car renters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.