cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

step solutions

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
so my new camper came with the accordion style steps (not glowsteps). they are a little to short as my truck is taller, but even if I prop them up they never seam to sit all the same (flat) so I am looking for a different step system that will be, how do I say it, not as sketchy.

Glowsteps look like the same design with double cross bars instead of single and glowing steps, but are they rock solid when deployed? and is the price worth it?

my other option is to get one of those receiver hitch cargo carries and build something that will deploy from that, maybe even a ramp design to make it easier on the dog?

what have people done to solve step issues?

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
19 REPLIES 19

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
AnEv942 wrote:
Even seeing pictures of this happening I really have a hard time understanding how or where. It would seem the pivot holes or pins would have to be worn ALOT to absorb the movement (assuming treads stayed parallel when new). On Steves picture there's a good inch loss between each tread.

ya and mine are just as bad if not worse. I tightened up every bolt to the point where it takes a bit of effort to deploy and fold them up, cant really feel any slop at all so it baffles me.

I am almost wondering if the design of the mounting point is partially to blame as it lets the top support pivot putting the first 2 steps sloping downwards away from the camper. but then my bottom two will slope back towards it. I know I need a longer one and maybe that is what sets off the bottom two. so maybe a different method of mounting them to ensure the top step stays level will help.

Steve

Steve

The steps that came with my TCer were like that as well. I tired everything before I spent the money on Glow steps and they were perfect. Same anchor point as the old ones, same height, same everything except the glow steps worked. Was a great investment!!!
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

toddb
Explorer
Explorer

https://imgur.com/lI4nDlF

sorry, not sure why the pic wont link. I use these steps, they come in handy to load water and other things around the rig. The ladder rack doubles as a hand rail.

* Moderator edited image location

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
AnEv942 wrote:
Even seeing pictures of this happening I really have a hard time understanding how or where. It would seem the pivot holes or pins would have to be worn ALOT to absorb the movement (assuming treads stayed parallel when new). On Steves picture there's a good inch loss between each tread.

ya and mine are just as bad if not worse. I tightened up every bolt to the point where it takes a bit of effort to deploy and fold them up, cant really feel any slop at all so it baffles me.

I am almost wondering if the design of the mounting point is partially to blame as it lets the top support pivot putting the first 2 steps sloping downwards away from the camper. but then my bottom two will slope back towards it. I know I need a longer one and maybe that is what sets off the bottom two. so maybe a different method of mounting them to ensure the top step stays level will help.

Steve

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
AnEv942 wrote:
Sounds like pivot points simple wore. Many are riveted-no adjustment (another plus for the T/L steps they are bolted so can be adjusted).
There is an older post with this exact issue-cant find but had pictures of sagging stairs, treads at different angles.
There was discussion of re-drilling and replacing pivot points.
Though if I remember correctly he ended up with the T/L steps

edit: huh looking for something else and found thread I was thinking of
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27151303.cfm
shows treads as described

yup, that's my stairs, but I only have 4, I probably should have 5. they are bolted with nylock nuts, I snugged them up , there harder to stretch out but they still go uneven. at least he has one that's level haha

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
We upgraded to the glow steps with the landing gear and the glow rail after my wife fell when coming down our old wobbly step system. She was very lucky she wasn’t seriously hurt during the fall. I’m a firm believer that money to prevent future accidents is money well spent.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I have easy test for steps.
The dog on picture above is 14 years old and never liked elevations.
He won't jump on sofa anymore, but he still makes the steps on my camper.
Traction is issue as he slips on wet steps, but I add more traction tape.

Bedlam
StirCrazy wrote:
some one asked I am 39" where the stairs mount, its an older (1991 10 foot slumber queen) so no bumper on it.

the main issue I have is the styairs when deployed are different angles, so the first couple wont be parralel to the groun where the bottom couple will.

That is typical of the single stringer stairs that are riveted together. Torklift uses stainless hardware with lock nuts to adjust each tread tension and then uses twice the number of stringers.

I started with the six 6-inch treads on my Arctic Fox and Ford because I mounted the stairs right under the doorway threshold. Access to the basement is blocked, but that was where I stored my electrical cords and only needed access at setup and tear down. The Stow N' Go was not designed yet, so I stored the steps inside the camper. I don't think I would have used it any way because I wanted to keep my receiver towing extension as short as possible.

When I bought my Ram, I needed even more height. I contacted Torklift about building a 7-step triple stringer set of 8" Magnum GlowSteps which you see in Kayteg's post. These were optioned out with a GlowGuide handrail, Pet SafeSteps and LandingGear adjustable feet. Those that have met me at rallies have tried this setup and felt it was safe and secure although I could do nothing for their altitude sickness or fear of heights.

When I upgraded to my Host, I replaced the 4-step side entry with a 6-step GlowStep Revolution. The same basic stairs as my first two, but finally a way for me to store them outside.

As you can see, I'm pretty much hooked on these stairs and like the fact that are adjustable and modular with additional options available. I think cheap models give all accordion steps a bad reputation which is why some shy from them, but good steps do cost more money which can be hard to justify on a cheaper camper.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like pivot points simple wore. Many are riveted-no adjustment (another plus for the T/L steps they are bolted so can be adjusted).
There is an older post with this exact issue-cant find but had pictures of sagging stairs, treads at different angles.
There was discussion of re-drilling and replacing pivot points.
Though if I remember correctly he ended up with the T/L steps

edit: huh looking for something else and found thread I was thinking of
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27151303.cfm
shows treads as described
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
some one asked I am 39" where the stairs mount, its an older (1991 10 foot slumber queen) so no bumper on it.

the main issue I have is the styairs when deployed are different angles, so the first couple wont be parralel to the groun where the bottom couple will.

Got picture?
What you are describing sounds pretty weird.
I think Bedlam's stairs above are the most extreme one might have, yet they look pretty parallel.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
so my new camper came with the accordion style steps (not glowsteps). they are a little to short as my truck is taller, but even if I prop them up they never seam to sit all the same (flat) so I am looking for a different step system that will be, how do I say it, not as sketchy.

Glowsteps look like the same design with double cross bars instead of single and glowing steps, but are they rock solid when deployed? and is the price worth it?

my other option is to get one of those receiver hitch cargo carries and build something that will deploy from that, maybe even a ramp design to make it easier on the dog?

what have people done to solve step issues?

Steve

Don't fool around and waste time. Get the Glow steps. If you want more stability get a railing. It was shocking how much better they are!

I have an extra glow step still in my garage if you were closer. My camper only needed 4 but got five as it was cheaper.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

breeves2245
Explorer
Explorer
I did not want to use a five stepper to get in my camper. Seems too many chances to have an accident.

I bought these from etrailer and got the sticky strips from Lowe's. Only had to cut the width, the depth of them fit perfect and they are very non-skid.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't say how high above the ground your camper door was.

Take a look at MORrydes Quick Connect Step. It comes in 2, 3, and 4 step versions.

The 2 step version covers 21 to 27 inches, the 3 step covers 27 to 36 inches and the 4 step covers 36 to 44 inches.

MORryde Entry Steps

BTW, the Glow Steps are rated to handle up to 300 lbs. The MORrydes 500 lbs.