philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really excited for the Novi MI RV Show.

Our top 3 choices to look at
Cedar Creek 38EFK
Riverstone FK don't recall the exact model
and a new one, Solitude 344GK

Complete wipeout, none were there, and worse, it looks like cedar creeks quality has slipped.

Did see a Landmark, and chatted with the factory rep for quite awhile. He was really proud of the construction and quality. It seemed to be ok, but the 3rd time I went back to it, noticed in the pantry cabinet, staples on the shelf came from the bottom up and the points actually came through the boards... That was a boneheaded construction!

Went to go look at the Riverstone again, and while waiting for someone to come out, wife looked across the aisle, "hey look, it has a wine fridge". Brand didn't matter, it had a wine fridge 🙂 Anyway, it was a Redwood RW3901WB. While we were looking around, a current owner, who was there to buy a new one, was selling us on all the nice features.

We're still about two years away, but narrowing down to what we like.
16 REPLIES 16

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The problem with a residential fridge is that you limit yourself to CGs with power. No going to various festivals where very often power sites are are limited or not available at all.

Running a generator all the time is not an option. A residential fridge needs an inverter. An inverter needs a decent sized battery bank. A decent sized battery bank needs room & is going to be heavy.

Typically RV builders allow room for only 2 X 6V batterys. This capacity is fine for running TVs, chargers & the occasional coffee maker. It is not enough for all that stuff plus a residential fridge for any length of time.

The only way to get around the problem, costing even more money, is to install non gassing batteries somewhere inside.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

TheHoff
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at Solitudes then was shared this picture.
IMG_0098.jpeg

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The way I read your statement was that Redwood absolutely would not put in a residential refrigerator. I think you stated what you meant correctly the first time. The key word is "they". 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
JTrac wrote:
Their downside for the wife is they absolutely will not do a residential fridge. That is a deal breaker for her. We had several repeat bad experiences with a Norcold in a previous motorhome we owned.

Good luck with your search.

did you mean without a residential fridge?

Of course that is what I meant. Leaving out one word changes the whole meaning. Should have said "without" a residential fridge. We lost food several times with the Norcold double door 12cf gas/electric. We changed it out to a Samsung 18cf before we sold the motorhome and that is what we have in our current fifth wheel. It cools down quickly and stays there. Plus there's plenty of room for our occasional 5 to 6 week trips.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
JTrac wrote:
Their downside for the wife is they absolutely will not do a residential fridge. That is a deal breaker for her. We had several repeat bad experiences with a Norcold in a previous motorhome we owned.

did you mean without a residential fridge?

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
We are in no hurry but at some point are looking to get something in the 34 to 38 feet overall length range. We looked over several at a recent show. The Cedar Creek did not quite measure up in our opinion. Our two favorites were a Redwood and a Solitude, in that order. The model of Solitude we would like to see was not at the show as was not the Redwood so we just looked at how they were laid out and put together. You just can't see what is hidden but with just a cursory look we liked the Redwood best. It appears their 3401RL would be a nice fit for us and our truck so it will be on the list. What I would love to consider is an Artic Fox 32-5M but without traveling hundreds of miles we will never see one. Their downside for the wife is they absolutely will not do a residential fridge. That is a deal breaker for her. We had several repeat bad experiences with a Norcold in a previous motorhome we owned.

JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to say or add this to my post earlier. My cousin's hubby said this to us many years ago when we 1st considered getting our coach. He said: "Make sure it is 99% exactly what you want and not say we will make it work". "If it's not what you like/want, you won't be happy".

Laknox is right on having your partner 100% involved. I knew we were at/above truck limits ('15 F350 SRW we had at the time)when we got the BC. No probs 1st year, but being over going to FL in height/heat of summer created a gut feeling that wouldn't go away. Didn't want to get a DRW, but did so. Towing wise, it's awesome. DW even likes towing w/ the DRW over SRW we had w/ same coach. DRW stinks in the snow tho.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
DRW vs SRW, I get that we're deep into SRW territory and crossing into DRW. Trailer will be identified and then the new truck ordered. Waiting until '22 MY when the SD can be ordered. DW is dead set against DRW, still working on that one 🙂 "Hey honey, this 5th that you really like can't be towed with SRW", might sway a mindset. Don't want to get in trouble with weight police on RVN carries less encouragement.

We keep gravitating to large 5th wheels, but I have this belief that I want to visit more federal and state campgrounds... and yet seldom have with TT. But the wild card, it's the difference of months on the road while and retired vs weekend and week or two.

Generally, we like the front kitchen and mid LR... which is completely out the window with the Redwood front bedroom, mid kitchen 😉

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“Many will agree tho, get your truck you want 1st, The more HD the better,. Then look at RV's that will work best for you.”

I absolutely disagree. Buy or select the TT or 5r first and match a TV to it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ACZL has a great idea about the spreadsheet. That's exactly what I did when I was shopping. I made a list of my preferences and targeted those things when shopping. It was fairly easy as we only wanted a rear living floorplan, so that's all I concentrated on and ignored everything else. Personally, my preferences were +/- 30', had to be a "lite" FW (I couldn't afford to replace my truck, too), opposing rear slides, 50a even if it only had 1 A/C, fairly large tanks with black being the most important. One thing I =didn't= take into account enough, was having a pantry. When DW and I went to look at a Jayco that was my #2 choice, first thing out of her mouth was "where's the pantry?" Ooops! :B Make sure you fully involve DW/partner in this, or you won't be happy.

In the end, I never was able to find anyone who had my #1 choice, a KZ, though I ended up with another KZ that I never really considered, after DW saw it and said "I really like this one". :B That, and the "I need this gone now" price the dealer's owner gave us.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Very good points made by all. Just my $.02 as well, but I agree w/ taking notes, pics, make some kind of spread sheet if need be of what you like/dislike on current models/brands for both you and better half. Do same thing next year as well. Note changes made from year to year if any. How many will be w/ you traveling in 2 years? We went from a 35' BH w/ 4 people to a 41' w/ 2 and LOVE it.

On brands you looked at, I would agree (IMO) the Creek's quality isn't what it used to be. We had a '06 Silverback that like FTG and his Redwood, no problems when we owned it. Considered going back w/ Creek when we upgraded, but nothing really hit us w/ floorpans and thought the quality went south and didn't like some changes they made. Factory rep doesn't like me---will leave it at that. Went to Hershey show in the mindset w/ Creek, and DW said, "Let's look at Heartland/Big Horn". Def liked the larger 1/2 bath, lots of bling and we kinda left it at that too.

Month later at last outing for the season, was raining so decided to go to local RV dealer just for the heck of it. Ends up they were having some kind of open house thing. So w/o a salesperson in tow, we headed out to the lot to browse thru units. Sone, DW and I in one and all I heard was "THIS IS IT!" I was in front BR w/ the other 2 in back. Was same unit as in sig. Sat on it all winter till Feb and got serious then. Ended up buying same coach after ordering it and picked it up in May of '17. Admittingly, we do not put gobs of miles on it each year, but has gone to ME and FL, rest here in upstate NY. Overall, she's been a great coach and 1 issue we had HL took care of, Dexter too. Serves our needs very well.

Couple other things to consider and some my disagree are: 1) 16,000 GVW trailer weight is DRW territory. Yes SRW have come a long way, but in terms of safety w/ this weight and long distance travel......DRW. IF and I say IF you do not travel long distances, then a SRW may suffice. 2) Was told once that a heavier RV translates into a better built and ride RV. Hopefully others will offer their take on this, but ours weighs 14k empty and 16K fully loaded and rides/tows great. In fact, DW has a knife/kitchen utensil spinny thing (I don't know exact name, but it's darn close) that sits to right of stove on counter (slide houses ET center, pantry, stove, fridge) and that hasn't moved since she placed it there in May of '17.

Just some other things to add upon/consider. Many will agree tho, get your truck you want 1st, The more HD the better,. Then look at RV's that will work best for you.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least 2 years out is a good place to start. Do the shows & dealers wherever you may be. Take notes on builders & model numbers that you like. In 2 years time when you are ready to buy you might find a 2 year old model on your short list, lightly used & in very good condition, for a fraction of the price of buying new.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

philh wrote:
Really excited for the Novi MI RV Show.

Our top 3 choices to look at
Cedar Creek 38EFK
Riverstone FK don't recall the exact model
and a new one, Solitude 344GK

Complete wipeout, none were there, and worse, it looks like cedar creeks quality has slipped.

Did see a Landmark, and chatted with the factory rep for quite awhile. He was really proud of the construction and quality. It seemed to be ok, but the 3rd time I went back to it, noticed in the pantry cabinet, staples on the shelf came from the bottom up and the points actually came through the boards... That was a boneheaded construction!

Went to go look at the Riverstone again, and while waiting for someone to come out, wife looked across the aisle, "hey look, it has a wine fridge". Brand didn't matter, it had a wine fridge 🙂 Anyway, it was a Redwood RW3901WB. While we were looking around, a current owner, who was there to buy a new one, was selling us on all the nice features.

We're still about two years away, but narrowing down to what we like.

We are on our second Redwood and LOVE it. Our first gave us 4 years of trouble free pleasure while glamping, it was a 38RL.

We really thought we would have that RV for a long time, then our neighbors tree had something to say about that, that's a whole different thread.
We now have a 2020 Redwood 3991RD and like it just as much as the first, perhaps a bit more.

Jump over to - The Redwood Owners Group Site and poke around.

You find many owners there that can answer any type of question you have.
Like stated, they are built out in Topeka Indiana, in the heart of RV world. that means that they ALL use the same work force for the most part.

With any RV, you will have real bad units, and real good units, real proud owners, and real angry owners..
Find what is best for you, research it, go visit the factory and see how they are built if possible and then decide
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
With you being 2 years out thiings will change by then, seeing you have so much time before have you considered a trip to In. to see how they are made? Cedar Creek, River Stone and Redwood are all made in Topeka In. less then 10 minutes apart, plus lots more to see touristy things in the area as well.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.