Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would gladly pay $120/nt at Jersey City, and everything it has to offer. It's on my bucket list. I can't see paying $50/nt to hide in the woods. If I was passing by and needed to dump & recharge, that's worth $25 for an overnight stop. I would be gone by 10am. It's not a destination to me.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Ok. Thanks for all the feedback.

Seems it may work, but it's not a complete home run. That's why I asked here.

One big variable is price. I think that depends heavily on location. It's $120/night to stay in a parking lot in Jersey City, NJ with quick access to NYC. It's booked nearly solid too. Can't determine the price of the KOA nearby to where I am in Florida since it's sold out for the next 6 weeks and the site only shows pricing if they have a spot. Not a single spot or day available on their calendar. If I look in Montana or something, low prices and plenty of availability.
Don't think you are going to find a lot of people going to Yellowstone or Glacier National Parks (yes, Montana is where most people access both of those parks.) during the season who feel the local campgrounds are either low priced or empty. While we don't get $120.00 a night for a parking lot experience, we do get $80.00 for providing a good experience. If you can't find local prices on the KOA website, just go to campgroundreviews.com. The reviews post what the guest paid. It won't be 100% accurate, since you don't know if the prices include taxes, if the site they rented was subjected to a premium charge or what discounts they might have had but it will get you a ballpark figure.
You seem to believe I am paranoid about competition. What I am actually concerned about is two things. First, if RVers have bad experiences with parks, they will eventually become ex-RVers. That would in the long run hurt my business. Therefore it is to my benefit if people who wish to enter the business do so with a business plan that works and they ultimately offer the guest a good experience.
My second concern is it is not good for me or the industry to have RV parks fail. If multiple parks fail the resale value of my parks fall. Parks that go broke make lending institutions leery of the industry making financing more expensive or not available at all. Sears going bankrupt a was not a boon to the remaining department stores and all the other shops in the malls. I want a tide that lifts all boats, not a tsunami that crushes everything in it's path.

* This post was edited 02/07/20 09:00am by westernrvparkowner *

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

....... Thanks for the thoughts. I guess the market reaction is "meh". It's funny because I'd never use Harvest Hosts because I don't want to buy stuff or have long chats with the hosts. I want small, individual, private campsites without all the people involved. It doesn't exist.

I apologize for the clipping above from only a portion of your latest post. It does exist, but it's VERY RARE. Here's a partial description of one we have been to here in Northern CA (I omitted it's name to protect it):

"Here at ---------- we have a large campground consisting of 113 sites located on a 100 acre portion of the facility that is surrounded by shade giving Oaks. Most campsites have running potable water, some have electricity and many sites are located on the waters edge when the lake is full. There are hot showers and flush toilets located throughout the campground and some sites located by swim pond also have free WIFI access! All sites can be reserved and reservations start the second Friday in February and go through Labor day weekend. All reservations must be made a week in advance and are recommended, but walk-ins are always welcome as well."

It's campsites are spread way out, with our favorite ones having only a water faucet and a 120V 20 amp box sticking out of the ground next to the RV pad. Here's a photo of one of the campsites:

[image]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd consider staying there - after I see some pictures.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, I don't need pools bars, noisy people

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No dog in the hunt (I don't RV anymore) but a couple of things jumped out at me:

- It seems like KOA is somehow the benchmark? Didn't used to be that way 10+ years ago when I was active;

- A nice shiny new park where one is 2' away from the next guy is not appealing but FWIW, I'd pay a fair amount of coin for a spot that was: a) newish; b) clean; c) not decaying; d) not jammed; and e) had good clean showers and washrooms.

I fly the ol PA-12 out every summer for some real boondocking, but when I used to RV, a nice spacious layout served with a clean shower setup was always worth a fair amount of money.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No hiking? No river/stream? No forest roads? No rock climbing? Off road area? Anything?

Just park and sit inside.... no thanks.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We would for the peace and quiet, but we would never pay that kind of price at any campground.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is very limited market / desire for a FHU site with no amenities in the middle of nowhere... at any price.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do some people have to disparage someone elses form of "camping"? No form is any more real or legitimate than another.
Seems like it must be the result of insecurity and the need for approval.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.