Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Why do some people have to disparage someone elses form of "camping"? No form is any more real or legitimate than another.
Seems like it must be the result of insecurity and the need for approval.
I don't mind if you camp there. No judgement from me.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As someone said, using KOA for a comparison is pretty strange. My understanding is that often when people stay at KOA it's because they want the name brand experience. They want the extra amenities and entertainment options, and the predictability.

So it's sort of like the OP here is saying that he can sell you some jeans that are just as good as Calvin Kleins but a completely different style and you have to drive an hour each way to get them.

Many campgrounds (not RV parks) have electricity and water for around $15 a night. That might be a more appropriate comparison. Campgrounds usually have a central dump station you have to go to, but on the other hand they have showers, so maybe that evens out.

A bigger barrier to business success might be the OP's personality. Assuming he is as belligerent and paranoid in person as he is in this thread, a lot of people might not choose to be alone or semi-alone in the boonies with him.

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Location is the biggest draw back to the OP's plan. If he had a couple of FHU sites with no amenities that were close to an attraction, he would have no problem renting them.
However move those sites an hour away from everything and the idea becomes a losing proposition.
I repeat, there is little demand for FHU sites with no amenities,no attractions in the middle of nowhere.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Would you camp at a place like this?

In a heart beat !!
These are the type places we look for a dream about. The wife and I started camping in the late '50s mostly for fishing (boat).
Kaw Lake in OK was a new COE lake and a big campground just opened. Hour before dark we pulled off the highway into new smooth paved interior roads. Drove around the campground to look for a good place to set up 2 days with water and electric. Not a single vehicle was around and boy was it peaceful and quiet. Two hours after dark a MH pulls in and looks around....then parked right up next to us. They were door slammers...very load talkers. Later they put a nervous yappy mutt out on a rope. That was enough. We up and moved to the farthest part of the campground.
We usually avoid rv parking lots/campgrounds with every thing unless its just a overnite stop....then hit the road the next morning.

Everyone has their own reasons why they use a rv and where they prefer to park it.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would with FHU.

Water, Sewer, Electric, WiFi

Cable would be nice.

Peace and quiet getaway.

Will sites be paved or at least gravel with patio and table?

Pictures would help.

Reader1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No due to price, but there is just not enough information. I would be concerned that someone has a drain, hose, and extension cord from his house and we would be in the driveway or backyard. (Joking...kind of!!)

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm picturing more of a cow pasture, 20 miles from the nearest gas station situation. But maybe that's because I'm used to the West.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for all the input. The location and price haven't been decided yet. Just getting my feet wet here trying to understand if I'm the only person who would enjoy this type of stop or if there are others who would enjoy it.

From this part of the evaluation, the next step is to see if there is any financial viability at the rates people would be willing to pay. It would appear there isn't, which explains why campgrounds basically suck and are full of wall to wall people crammed allintona tiny area. Because they need to get every possible dollar from the land to make even a moderate profit.

Basically I'm checking to see if it's an idea people would use and also if it would be profitable enough to make it worth spending time on.

I'm currently looking to buy or start another business. This was one of my ideas.

If anyone has a profitable small businesses they want to retire from and sell, shoot me a message. I'm in the market and would likely pay a normal asking price if the business is sound. So if you have no family that wants to run it, want to retire, but don't want to just close the business, let me know.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Naio wrote:

I'm picturing more of a cow pasture, 20 miles from the nearest gas station situation. But maybe that's because I'm used to the West.

Me too ... we don't need to camp near any "attractions" other than what Mother Nature supplies ... but it sure would be great to have full hookups out there so we could save up for and stay put for, say, a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of a, say, 500 acre or more ranch out in beautiful country (and with a private lake too) that had maybe 50 FHU sites scattered throughout it, with a two week maximum stay to eliminate wealthy squatters, and at a price of around $70 per day. We'd of course leave the rancher's cows and/or sheep around us alone ... but might insist on being able to fish the lake!

There are private fishing arrangements out in wild country similar to this - but they would be drycamping and are expensive.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Naio wrote:

Me too ... we don't need to camp near any "attractions" other than what Mother Nature supplies ... but it sure would be great to have full hookups out there so we could save up for and stay put for, say, a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of a, say, 500 acre or more ranch out in beautiful country (and with a private lake too) that had maybe 50 FHU sites scattered throughout it, with a two week maximum stay to eliminate wealthy squatters, and at a price of around $70 per day. We'd of course leave the rancher's cows and/or sheep around us alone ... but might insist on being able to fish the lake!

There are private fishing arrangements out in wild country similar to this - but they would be drycamping and are expensive.

Bingo. That’s part of what I was picturing as well. A place to really stay a while. Something to enjoy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.