Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev
CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

I would prefer to have some RV neighbors around me. If I was the only RV in the area I would feel vulnerable to anyone with bad intentions. Admittedly, I've dry camped. in some wilderness areas and while there is some pleasure in doing so, the thought is always there that someone may just spoil it for you. maybe I'm being too careful, but that's just me.

Your posts reminded me of some thoughts I've had related to what you say.

We have some friends that will sometimes park in kindof wilderness areas with us in their RV. This brings a lot of security for the both of us, However it's probably rare to find RV'ing friends who will do this sort of camping.

I wish there were RV'ing clubs that met and went together exclusively on boondocking type RV outings.

Is there any clubs in this site that could help you ? https://www.rv-boondocking-the-good-life.com/rvclubs.html

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Wilderness areas by definition have no roads. You cannot access them with a vehicle.

How urban do you have to be in your outlook to prefer having other RV neighbors around? I like no neighbors. That is when I feel the most safe. Headed to Death Valley. Boondocking with no RV, no Tent, no nothin.

I didn't mean Wilderness Areas per the "official" public lands definition (i.e. no motorized vehicles allowed) ... what I had in mind were areas "out in the wild" with passable roads just barely good enough to slowly and carefully travel on in our small, pretty-good-ground-clearance, slide-less, E450 Class C.

We have already been to - and stayed overnight in - many areas like this in our rig in the Western U.S., but prefer as we get older to have another RV along with us if possible for overall personnel safety and vehicle breakdown backup ... in addition to the satellite communication based medical help capability we bring with us.

The more remote areas of Central Oregon are an example. As another example - we have boondock camped off a 4X4 road in Death Valley with our Class C and it was a wonderful experience. Boondocking on the Far Side of Beyond - out of the wind, keeping cool or warm as needed, with a shower, with long-range Internet access, with a large propane fire pit, and a microwave for popcorn and an oven for pizza ... is a priceless experience.

I've backpacked plenty in the High Sierras and that doesn't do it for me anymore. In fact from a daydreaming viewpoint - I'd like to camp with our RV in places similar to where we camped at on our backpack trips ... even if it sometimes cost me $$ per night to do so.

Here's a spot along the Salmon river that is an example of what I have in mind (we're in the Class C and friends are in the small TT):
[image]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Wilderness areas by definition have no roads. You cannot access them with a vehicle.

How urban do you have to be in your outlook to prefer having other RV neighbors around? I like no neighbors. That is when I feel the most safe. Headed to Death Valley. Boondocking with no RV, no Tent, no nothin.

I wish you well on your adventure, and wouldn't mind doing the same. I'd feel more comfortable if I had a companion dog with me, although I don't own one. I'd also prefer to have some camping items available for overnighting, perhaps a small tent and some simple food items. I've really enjoyed setting up my motorhome in remote areas of the Anza Borrego desert east of San Diego. Absolutely no sound and myriads of stars overhead at night. It's a great experience, but as I got older I started to feel safer if other RVers were nearby. I did own a firearm (.38 snubby) which gave me some sense of security. Glad I didn't need to use it.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/20 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not reading the whole thread.

Solitude is really nice.

Throwing the kiddies into a swimming pool and having fun with neighbors is nice too.

The best part is that the camper works fine at both.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.