Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Naio wrote:

I'm picturing more of a cow pasture, 20 miles from the nearest gas station situation. But maybe that's because I'm used to the West.

Me too ... we don't need to camp near any "attractions" other than what Mother Nature supplies ... but it sure would be great to have full hookups out there so we could save up for and stay put for, say, a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of a, say, 500 acre or more ranch out in beautiful country (and with a private lake too) that had maybe 50 FHU sites scattered throughout it, with a two week maximum stay to eliminate wealthy squatters, and at a price of around $70 per day. We'd of course leave the rancher's cows and/or sheep around us alone ... but might insist on being able to fish the lake!

There are private fishing arrangements out in wild country similar to this - but they would be drycamping and are expensive.

Bingo. That’s part of what I was picturing as well. A place to really stay a while. Something to enjoy.
Your first hurdle would be running a business on 500+ acres of pastureland will assuredly cause the ranch/farm to lose it's Agricultural exemption for property taxes on that acreage. And most states have a look back provision in their tax codes that would allow them to collect back taxes even if you got away with it for a few years.
Then there is the not insignificant costs of running miles of utilities and roads. There are pretty strong economic reasons most RV parks are not what you are describing.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Naio wrote:

I'm picturing more of a cow pasture, 20 miles from the nearest gas station situation. But maybe that's because I'm used to the West.

Me too ... we don't need to camp near any "attractions" other than what Mother Nature supplies ... but it sure would be great to have full hookups out there so we could save up for and stay put for, say, a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of a, say, 500 acre or more ranch out in beautiful country (and with a private lake too) that had maybe 50 FHU sites scattered throughout it, with a two week maximum stay to eliminate wealthy squatters, and at a price of around $70 per day. We'd of course leave the rancher's cows and/or sheep around us alone ... but might insist on being able to fish the lake!

There are private fishing arrangements out in wild country similar to this - but they would be drycamping and are expensive.

Bingo. That’s part of what I was picturing as well. A place to really stay a while. Something to enjoy.
Your first hurdle would be running a business on 500+ acres of pastureland will assuredly cause the ranch/farm to lose it's Agricultural exemption for property taxes on that acreage. And most states have a look back provision in their tax codes that would allow them to collect back taxes even if you got away with it for a few years.
Then there is the not insignificant costs of running miles of utilities and roads. There are pretty strong economic reasons most RV parks are not what you are describing.

Oy. This guy still?

Why don't you worry about your own business? Thanks

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen private hunting clubs take advantage of that tax system here in PA and nothing was ever done. All depends on who you know.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Oy. This guy still?

Is it just me or does anyone else see a strong resemblance to a teenager that already knows it all?

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Western RVPO is telling you guys like it is.
There is a lot of regulation involved in opening a commercial CG.
He has actually successfully opened and operated CG's.
Have you guys challenging his experience and knowledge actually opened and operated a CG?
In many cases I agree business is over regulated.
Nevertheless demand seems lukewarm at best before you even get into issues such as,insurance,taxes, health dept.,licensing, on site management,advertising, maintenance etc.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Naio wrote:

Oy. This guy still?

I bet it is annoying that I completely knock down your half cocked business ideas in a couple of sentences. I don't have to worry about my own business because it is doing exceptionally well, in no small part because I know what I am doing.
In the beginning of this thread I thought I was being helpful in pointing out the pitfalls of a two site RV park in the middle of nowhere, perhaps saving someone a financial loss. My mistake. Apparently you are much smarter than me, and your expertise far outdistances mine. So go for it. Build a two site RV park, or go buy a section of farmland and scatter 50 RV sites across it. The sooner the better, thus proving: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Naio wrote:

Oy. This guy still?

I bet it is annoying that I completely knock down your half cocked business ideas in a couple of sentences. I don't have to worry about my own business because it is doing exceptionally well, in no small part because I know what I am doing.
In the beginning of this thread I thought I was being helpful in pointing out the pitfalls of a two site RV park in the middle of nowhere, perhaps saving someone a financial loss. My mistake. Apparently you are much smarter than me, and your expertise far outdistances mine. So go for it. Build a two site RV park, or go buy a section of farmland and scatter 50 RV sites across it. The sooner the better, thus proving: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Well ... some of these individual businesses may be coming close to what the OP would like for just their camping capabilities, fishing notwithstanding:
https://oregonfishingclub.com/

Here's a clip from down lower on their webpage talking about use of RVs on the various private properties with fishing lakes - but notice some of their prices!:

"With 13 of our fishing properties containing campgrounds, you are nearly guaranteed to find a campsite available at a moment’s notice. Our campsites are acquired by reservation only, and require a minor fee of $10 per night. Recreational vehicles are always welcome, and some sites even offer full hook-ups.

All campsites have picnic tables, fire rings, porta-potties, garbage cans, and flat grassy areas where you can easily pitch your tent. Because we maintain all trails, roadways, docks, garbage cans, and toilets, you can rest assured that your campsite will be well-maintained and tidy. You will usually be the only people on a property at a given time, and won’t have to deal with noisy neighbors."

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/20 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Well ... some of these individual businesses may be coming close to what the OP would like for just their camping capabilities, fishing notwithstanding:
https://oregonfishingclub.com/

Here's a clip from down lower on their webpage talking about use of RVs on the various private properties with fishing lakes - but notice some of their prices!:

"With 13 of our fishing properties containing campgrounds, you are nearly guaranteed to find a campsite available at a moment’s notice. Our campsites are acquired by reservation only, and require a minor fee of $10 per night. Recreational vehicles are always welcome, and some sites even offer full hook-ups.

All campsites have picnic tables, fire rings, porta-potties, garbage cans, and flat grassy areas where you can easily pitch your tent. Because we maintain all trails, roadways, docks, garbage cans, and toilets, you can rest assured that your campsite will be well-maintained and tidy. You will usually be the only people on a property at a given time, and won’t have to deal with noisy neighbors."
A 10 year membership cost a $1700 one time fee + $50/month. That breaks down to $65/mo. That's a great deal if you use it.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If there was nothing else available and I wanted to be in that area I would use it. I would prefer it if they had a campfire ring though so I could set around the fire after being out and about.

Sometimes, but not always, when I camp I only use the camper as a place to grab a bite to eat, sleep, and poop, anyway. Other times I want to go camping in the great outdoors. It depends on my mood and what my reason for being in that area is.

I've been known to go boon docking by myslef. Or, I've been known go to concerts with friends and then back to the camper to sleep.

So to answer the OP's question,,,It depends.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Naio wrote:

cow patties or sheep cookies on my campsite doesn't bother me; how about you? I wonder how you’d feel if the cows come around to rub their itchy sides on your rig? We had to run off a couple of black angus bulls one time. I know about these things since boondocking in livestock pastures (sometimes with stock present) is all we do.

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, & Fern (in training), Hattie the puppy
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Would You Camp at a Place Like This??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.