cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

pp space heater in a rv

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
on another post some liked them ,some didn,t so I ,m checking on opinions. mr. buddy heater or camco olympian space heat in a rv. I use the olympian seems to be working good for me.
19 REPLIES 19

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
Gjac wrote:
Everyone has a different tolerance level for risk from non vented propane heaters. I use it to heat the bathroom up so my wife can take a shower at night and not be cold. I run it when we eat inside. I don't run it at night or the RV furnace. I use the RV furnace to warm up the MH in the morning then the Buddy heater to maintain the temperature for breakfast. The furnace and Buddy heater stay of until we return to the MH. My 2 6v GC batteries easily last 3 days without using the genset to recharge. This is for Oct-Nov camping in the White Mts in NH, Temps fall below freezing at night and generally warm up above freezing during the day.

Hmmm .... why don't you run the furnace to heat the entire rig so your wife can both take a shower in a warm bathroom and then step into a warmed rig? You certainly have the battery capacity to do it that way.

We do that ... but our small Class C holds over 60 lbs. of propane when full (18 gallon water-weight tank).
The point I was trying to make in my post was for those that were afraid to use a Buddy heater is that you can use it intermittently during waking hrs and not run it all night while you are sleeping. To answer your question when I open the bath room door it closes off the bath and bed room which is less the 1/2 the volume of the MH. The Buddy Heater heats this area just fine. We then go to bed and are good until morning.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
pp = propane.......AH! I get it.
I don't have a good feeling using a propane-fueled heater that burns cabin oxygen.

I would see if you can set yourself up with two 6V batteries so you don't worry about battery-drain when running your furnace overnight.

I suppose other factors include:
- how well your house is insulated
- how good your house windows are (thermal panes help a lot)
- how well sealed your slide outs are
- how many cubic feet of air you are heating overnight.

With our rig SEEN HERE with two 6V house batteries, thermal pane windows, no slide outs, an over-all length of less than 24 feet, a low interior ceiling, a narrow 93" house width, a comforter draped between and tucked around the front seats, and a privacy curtain to the bedroom where the thermostat is located, all in combination, we stay warm letting the furnace run as needed overnight without concern. The furnace does not cycle on/off that much when temps are just below freezing. We've yet to camp in temps below the high 20's.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, any type of heater used inside an RV that uses inside oxygen is a **** shoot for living to the next day. I have been there and done that and survived with my family thank God.

Weather can close up vents with ice or snow while you are sleeping. The only good part is you will never know it happened.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
Everyone has a different tolerance level for risk from non vented propane heaters. I use it to heat the bathroom up so my wife can take a shower at night and not be cold. I run it when we eat inside. I don't run it at night or the RV furnace. I use the RV furnace to warm up the MH in the morning then the Buddy heater to maintain the temperature for breakfast. The furnace and Buddy heater stay of until we return to the MH. My 2 6v GC batteries easily last 3 days without using the genset to recharge. This is for Oct-Nov camping in the White Mts in NH, Temps fall below freezing at night and generally warm up above freezing during the day.

Hmmm .... why don't you run the furnace to heat the entire rig so your wife can both take a shower in a warm bathroom and then step into a warmed rig? You certainly have the battery capacity to do it that way.

We do that ... but our small Class C holds over 60 lbs. of propane when full (18 gallon water-weight tank).
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Olympian heater in both our class c and our 5th wheel. We keep vents โ€œcracked-openโ€ and use multiple CO monitors. memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Devocamper wrote:
2oldman wrote:
What's wrong with using the furnace?

Drains your battery when boondocking without power

Probably the more important negative to using your RV furnace much when drycamping is it's consumption of valuable propane - which is also needed to keep the refrigerator cooling and the cooktop cooking. This is especially true considering that many small to moderate sized RVs these days only have skimpy little (IMHO) propane tanks. One can recharge coach batteries way easier than recharging the coach propane tank(s) when drycamping!

As for our exclusive use of our RV's furnace for coach warmth - we only drycamp continuously for few days here and there, so our 18 gallon propane tank and several ways of recharging our coach batteries make use of the furnace a comfortable and safe no-brainer.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Drains your battery when boondocking without power
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We use the single tank buddy heater . It keeps the camper warm and it has a tip over safety as well as low oxygen safety shut off and is a nice size to store and doesnโ€™t have a big footprint when in use. You need to keep a window or vent cracked open . We use a thermal pad under it since to floor gets hot and
The pad deflects some of the heat up into the space . Installed a second co detector to be safe, normally do not sleep with the heater running .Like any heater in a camper you get condensation even more so if you cook without venting or have big space temperature swings .Very happy with the buddy heater after three seasons of use . We also have an built in fireplace type electric heater that is used when we have power .
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
I put a t in at the furnace along with a ball valve it works great when I test it and we crack the vent and a window
Winnebago Access 24V

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Two reasons for me...

1) Itโ€™s an energy hog.

2) Itโ€™s noisy, turning on and off throughout the night.
E.Lee Galik

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:

We originally bought the buddy because we only had one battery and no hookups. As soon as the sun went down at 4.30pm the temps would really drop off making it a long night to operate off one battery.
We started out using it when it was really cold out and we basically would dry camp with no water in our rv during our snowmobile season. The furnace would run almost non stop and became annoying over time.
We gave the buddy heater a try and just stayed with it. We do start things off using the furnace and once the rv is heated up the buddy keeps it topped off.
We use a small portable battery operated DVD player which is hard to hear over the furnace, so the buddy helps with that as well. It seems to use less LP too. Its a good back up heater to have, we always have it with us.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman