Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Multimeter Calibration?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Multimeter Calibration?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In days of old when folks were bold I had a VTVM As I recall a RCA Voltomist or something like that A fresh carbon zinc dry cell is 1.06 V according to the instruction manual I just downloaded (NOTE My Memory is .... Different)

Full calibration you really need an electronics lab but I normally go with multiple meters if they all agree.. GOOD. if all but one agrees. That one needs attention.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a HF mulimeter there is a pot inside that will adjust the voltage readings. I use my B&D charger and adjust the voltage reading on my HF meter to match it. I have about 4 meters that I use in the RV,house and car now that all read the same now. I used to use my friends Fluke meter to adjust my HF meter but he moved away.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

If you have a HF mulimeter there is a pot inside that will adjust the voltage readings. I use my B&D charger and adjust the voltage reading on my HF meter to match it. I have about 4 meters that I use in the RV,house and car now that all read the same now. I used to use my friends Fluke meter to adjust my HF meter but he moved away.

Never thought of that! VEC1093DBD on a battery the meter said is 13.14, the VEC said 13.2v. That was with it clamped to that battery and plugged in saying 000 but not set to charging.

This was in the unheated garage. The VEC has temp comp voltage.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this won't really help you, but at work we used to send our meters in to Fluke for recalibration. Then I would check my meters (Flukes) against the newly calibrated meter.
This year they decided the cost was too high, so they just bought us new meters.
My old Fluke 77 and my favorite, a 73 still match the new meter, so I am still good. I typically test with 12V, 24V, 120VAC and 240VAC. That covers my useage.

Actually, if you know of someone with a decent adjustable power supply, you could test your meter against that. I know mine is within 1/100th of a volt. That is good enough for my camper. [emoticon]

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

In days of old when folks were bold I had a VTVM ...

You must be close to MY age !

Simpson 260, Tek 555 (half hour warm up time and a great and warmer), ...

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

If you have a HF mulimeter there is a pot inside that will adjust the voltage readings. I use my B&D charger and adjust the voltage reading on my HF meter to match it. I have about 4 meters that I use in the RV,house and car now that all read the same now.

Good start, but there is no guarantee that they will stay in sync across the whole range.

If you work in an electronics lab, there are two classifications of equipment; "estimate only" and "calibrated", typically once a year.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Gjac wrote:

If you have a HF mulimeter there is a pot inside that will adjust the voltage readings. I use my B&D charger and adjust the voltage reading on my HF meter to match it. I have about 4 meters that I use in the RV,house and car now that all read the same now.

Good start, but there is no guarantee that they will stay in sync across the whole range.

If you work in an electronics lab, there are two classifications of equipment; "estimate only" and "calibrated", typically once a year.
Your right, I tested mine at a lower voltage and it was off .01 volts, so I calibrate mine for my battery voltage 12 + volts. To send my meters out for calibration would cost more than my meters are worth, so to monitor battery voltage it is good enough. If I worked as an electronic technician and needed an accurate meter everyday for my job I would buy a Fluke.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 05:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

In days of old when folks were bold I had a VTVM ...

You must be close to MY age !

Simpson 260, Tek 555 (half hour warm up time and a great and warmer), ...

Though I'm not on the Internet I'm 70.. (I never give my true age for security reasons but.. Well. close)

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All meters, thermometers, etc have an accuracy rating. A good meter is +/- 1% or +/-2% of the reading. If you take 2 meters and read the same thing and both are accurate to +/- 2% you can now be off by as much as 4%, so best to not compare 2 meters. The best reading is one that is consistent, meaning if I am reading something and come back tomorrow to read the same measurement, it is within that accuracy rating.

Another point is that all of these meters, Fluke, anyone, are made in China. Better companies use the better manufacturers over there and have better QC. So, it makes sense to buy a better meter if you want better accuracy. A $25 meter is going to give you what you paid for, a cheap meter reading. You should buy a better meter. You can get a descent quality meter for less money than you think. Just search around for it. Stick with a company that makes meters and measuring devices and not some brand that has there label put on a Chinese POS.

This is a great Fluke meter used by lots of electricians at only $100...

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Electrical-Voltage-Continuity-Current/dp/B0006Z3GZU/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=fluke+multimeter&qid=1581182098&sr=8-5

There are other good manufacturers of meters that are comparable and probably a little less expensive.

Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.2 volts and .01 volts. unless your adjusting a bias circuit, you should be happy with that. Back in the day the RCA Senior Volt ohmist was the standard. now my Fluke and my old B&K are the ones to go to. But testing the home A/C voltage they are off from each other by 2 volts. Good enought!

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Multimeter Calibration?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.