cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crossing into Canada from Maine

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip this summer to the Canadian Maritimes. How is crossing the border in Houlton on 95.
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut
13 REPLIES 13

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone.
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
musika wrote:
Regarding food, you're not permitted to bring in fresh fruit, milk, nuts, meat, that sort of thing. Anything pre-packaged/shelf stable should be fine.

You are also not allowed to transport wood. We've not crossed with our camper yet but totally didn't think about the fact that means our leveling blocks need to change. Apparently if they are sealed with paint it is okay? I haven't tested that theory.

We've crossed at Calais a few times with a car and it's generally been straightforward both ways every time.

Specific food prohibitions change somewhat frequently. I don't believe I've ever had dairy products questioned or confiscated. Some fresh fruits and veggies are usually verboten, most commonly ones with seeds inside, but exactly which ones may change from time to time. Usually store packaged/shrink wrapped meat, at least common meats, is okay; game or repackaged meat sometimes less so.

It's usually just firewood that's restricted (and that's true for many states in the US, as well: out-of-state or non-local firewood is not permitted unless it has been marked as being properly heat treated). Lumber and finished planks and wood objects are usually no problem at all. The main concern, of course, is avoiding having bugs such as the Emerald Ash Borer hitching a ride in the firewood.

musika
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding food, you're not permitted to bring in fresh fruit, milk, nuts, meat, that sort of thing. Anything pre-packaged/shelf stable should be fine.

You are also not allowed to transport wood. We've not crossed with our camper yet but totally didn't think about the fact that means our leveling blocks need to change. Apparently if they are sealed with paint it is okay? I haven't tested that theory.

We've crossed at Calais a few times with a car and it's generally been straightforward both ways every time.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We do Calais...easy.

Have crossed here many times. We had citrus confiscated once (our mistake) but the only issue we've had was coming back into the US. Too long a story to get into but resolved. US border agents were awesome.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We do Calais...easy.

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the forum on RVing in Alaska and Canada

There is a section of what not to bring into either and what you need to enter each. Tons of info.

A US passport is needed to get out of Canada into the US.
Jim Hunter

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. We donโ€™t have firearms just wondering more about crossing with food and things like that.

Go to the Canadian Customs website and find out what foods you cannot take across and what the limits are for things like alcohol.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer to cross at Houlton rather than Calais. Never had a problem at Houlton.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were never searched coming into Canada, the only thing they worried about was booze. Going south was another matter.

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading a question about coming south from Alaska and going through Canada. If you have had even one DUI or other felony they will not let you into Canada if they discover it.

Campincarters
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. We donโ€™t have firearms just wondering more about crossing with food and things like that.
2017 Forester 3011DS
naugatuck, Connecticut

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Crossing into Canada is not normally an issue, a passport, documentations for any pets and just leave the guns at home, you don't need them.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while but I don't remember delays or issues crossing.

Douglas Adams