cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Butane vs. Propane

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
So I talked to a man that had an coach where the manual states that it can use both Butane AND Propane.

Which is better? Worse? Pros? Cons? Why?
Thanks!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RayJayco wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Butane is sold south of the border. There are probably no Gas retailers for Public sale FOR RV's and DOT cylinders that sell Butane anymore. They just quit selling both types in the USA years ago as there was no real need. You may be able to find some that do sell Butane, but why? Doug

Butane is cheaper on wholesale level...

A couple months ago, I was discussing this with a friend in NO Cal during the rolling power outages due to the fires. He didn't want to consider a propane BU genny due to his friends that his lines froze up when it was 20F. I explained to him that in temperate climates you will often get butane as propane and butane are both LPG gas...
Call your supplier and ask to see the paperwork, you may be surprised...

1. Butane will not function below 30 degrees
2. LP will function down to -10 degrees(really -38)
3. There is no reason to have a retailer use Dual gases. LP and Butane. That is why in the USA they only make Butane for appliances, light lighters and such, not for retail sale for Rv's and DOT tanks. Doug

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Butane is sold south of the border. There are probably no Gas retailers for Public sale FOR RV's and DOT cylinders that sell Butane anymore. They just quit selling both types in the USA years ago as there was no real need. You may be able to find some that do sell Butane, but why? Doug

Butane is cheaper on wholesale level...

A couple months ago, I was discussing this with a friend in NO Cal during the rolling power outages due to the fires. He didn't want to consider a propane BU genny due to his friends that his lines froze up when it was 20F. I explained to him that in temperate climates you will often get butane as propane and butane are both LPG gas...
Call your supplier and ask to see the paperwork, you may be surprised...
Inquiring minds want to know...

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I never camped below freezing BUTANE.. Since it occasionally gets down below freeZing where I hang out .. Propane.

WHY
Propane the vapor temp is right close to -40 (No sure exactly but within 2 degrees) -40 I'm seriously not going to be using the RV.

Butane I think it's 32.. So if the tank gets down to 30.. NO HEAT.

Many have bought propane in the deep south or so they thought, but the dealer filled the tank with Butane, which is cheaper, and pocketed the additional profit. Then they went north and no heat.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
I do not know about the fuel referenced above, which may be misnamed but chemically, isobutane is NOT a mixture or combination of propane and butane. There are two forms of the four carbon butane molecule possible, either a straight chain which is called n-butane and a central carbon with three pendant carbons, called isobutane. Both are butane, same number of carbon and hydrogen atoms, same molecular weight, but slightly different physical and chemical properties.

And no, butane does not have a lower boiling point (at 0 to 1 degree C) than propane (-42 degrees C).

Actually, three products are sold, propane, butane (actually a usually a mix of both isomers) and LP gas, a mixture of propane and butane.

Nice to have an organic chemist in the group! ๐Ÿ™‚
E.Lee Galik

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI talked to a man...โ€ Why am I not impressed? Similar to advice in a fortune cookie?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

Actually, three products are sold, propane, butane (actually a usually a mix of both isomers) and LP gas, a mixture of propane and butane.

Yep. What is commonly sold as "propane" (LP) is a blend. The percentages vary from location to location and time of year.

If you live in a northern/cold climate, you will be getting close to 100% propane in winter.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I do not know about the fuel referenced above, which may be misnamed but chemically, isobutane is NOT a mixture or combination of propane and butane. There are two forms of the four carbon butane molecule possible, either a straight chain which is called n-butane and a central carbon with three pendant carbons, called isobutane. Both are butane, same number of carbon and hydrogen atoms, same molecular weight, but slightly different physical and chemical properties.

And no, butane does not have a lower boiling point (at 0 to 1 degree C) than propane (-42 degrees C).

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
butane has more BTU's per gallon, but (actually LARGE BUT) is has a lower boiling point.

So, if in cold climates/temperatures, propane is the correct LPG. If higher temperatures, butane is great.

Do a little research for boiling point on both and you can determine what is best for your locale.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Butane burns about 12% more efficiently than propane, but propane boils at a much lower temperature, making it the better choice for cold weather use. For most purposes in mild to warm weather, either one will get the job done. Unlike natural gas, appliances designed for propane typically work just as well on butane. Another option is isobutane, a combination of the two often favored by backpackers.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate