cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What kind of RPM's do you get? What about MPG?

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious what others out there are getting as I look at TT options.

I've heard that 2400RPM and 7.5MPG is pretty standard. Is it wrong?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.
41 REPLIES 41

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
Some folks use their trucks onboard DIC and report that as a mpg number.

Which in my experience is ALWAYS high. It's high on all the vehicles I've driven with a DIC.

I have a spreadsheet that I use to track fuel MPG. I record the DIC reading too. It's always about 1-1.5 mpg high on my current truck.

Same with the 5-6 new vehicles I've had with a DIC.
However my '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins NV5600 3.73 gears 2wd QC short bed with 330k miles for what ever reason has always ran up to 1.5 mpgs less than pencil numbers. I'm the type that resets at maybe tank number 6-8 after refilling. I know some reset on every refill.

When I hauled years back it was with one ton DRW and 460/454 carbureted engines and 4-6 mpgs was common at 55 mph. And that was pulling mostly under 26k-28k gross combined.
Blows me away at what some haulers are operating at 35k-38k declared gross combined and 9-11 mpgs is today with a one ton DRW....and doing it 7 days a week for 300k-400k miles (teams). Times have changes
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:

Which in my experience is ALWAYS high. It's high on all the vehicles I've driven with a DIC.

I have a spreadsheet that I use to track fuel MPG. I record the DIC reading too. It's always about 1-1.5 mpg high on my current truck.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
crasster wrote:
I've heard that 2400RPM and 7.5MPG is pretty standard. Is it wrong?

Depends on far too many factors to get an answer.

Make of truck
Model of Truck
Year of the truck
Engine the truck has
Gear Ratio the truck has
Is it 2WD or 4WD
Size of the RV
Weight of the RV
Are you driving in mountains are flat land?
Is there a head wind, tail wind or cross wind?

I get about 12mpg towing, RPM varies depending on if I'm on the flats or going up a hill. I downshift manually with my Allison to keep from loosing speed too much speed on hills.

If people get all worked up and concerned about fuel economy when towing (which in my mind is an oxymoron) they probably shouldn't be RV'ing since they are concerned about the expense.

The truck in my signature is a tool meant for a specific job - towing / hauling my truck camper. It's not my daily driver.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Many folks use a single tank refill as their mpgs. And some even short fill the tank so they can report high mpgs.....or use a older gazz station with a slopped driveway so the tank will short fill.

Also where one lives and travel on trips makes a difference. When we head to the Rockies its a 650 mile east to west straight run on US-412 from where I live in eastern OK on out to Raton, NM.
And from around 720' in elevation at home to around 7000' at Raton,NM. We've pulled it many many times with the rig or a car or just the truck. Going up will show poor mpgs vs coming back down.....as much as 4-5 mpg differences depending on winds.

The winds blows hard in the plain states much of the time. Prevailing wind are south to north. Many trees out here grow with their tops bent to the north. I've got some fantastic single tank mpgs going north on I-35 or other major US north/south highways. Average on several tank refills also eliminate those best tank figures.

I prefer a mpg average for three tanks (pencil numbers) at a minimum. More refills the better for a average mpgs.
Eliminates those best or worst single tank refill numbers.

I figured mine out over a 6,231 mile trip ๐Ÿ™‚
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

beermanjoe
Explorer
Explorer
6.4 Hemi and 4.10 gears. I just know a tank doesn`t last long.
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 CC 4.10 gears 2020 Shadow Cruiser 329QBS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Engine loading has as much to do with fuel efficiency as RPM's - maybe more so.
Even for a given engine, you cannot say it gets X MPG at a certain RPM.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
If people with gas engines are towing at 1,900 rpms or 2,000 they are lugging their engines in my opinion.

The idea of 1,700 or 1,400 rpms makes even less sense if you want your engine to last.

My 2010 5.4L Torqshift auto/3.73 runs under 2k rpm on the flats. Rolling hills will cause a downshift to direct to run 2700~rpm or to 3rd to run 3800~rpm at 60 mph. At 106k miles, it still runs and looks new. No driveline repairs yet.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Many folks use a single tank refill as their mpgs. And some even short fill the tank so they can report high mpgs.....or use a older gazz station with a slopped driveway so the tank will short fill.

Also where one lives and travel on trips makes a difference. When we head to the Rockies its a 650 mile east to west straight run on US-412 from where I live in eastern OK on out to Raton, NM.
And from around 720' in elevation at home to around 7000' at Raton,NM. We've pulled it many many times with the rig or a car or just the truck. Going up will show poor mpgs vs coming back down.....as much as 4-5 mpg differences depending on winds.

The winds blows hard in the plain states much of the time. Prevailing wind are south to north. Many trees out here grow with their tops bent to the north. I've got some fantastic single tank mpgs going north on I-35 or other major US north/south highways. Average on several tank refills also eliminate those best tank figures.

I prefer a mpg average for three tanks (pencil numbers) at a minimum. More refills the better for a average mpgs.
Eliminates those best or worst single tank refill numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
The penalty is 40% over the TV loaded-same when solo at 55-60.
1970 or 2020
Gas or diesel.

The penalty is aerodynamic.

Diesel isnโ€™t better or worse UNTIL you factor the fuel cost PER MILE.

Gasoline = $2,50
Diesel = $3.00

At my usual 58-mph/1,725-rpm flatland cruise, my average (not high or low) is 15-mpg.

In 100-miles thatโ€™s close enough to 6.5-gals diesel. 19.5-cents per mile for fuel.

Thatโ€™s the same โ€œfuel mileageโ€ as burning (8) gallons of gasoline. Or, 12-mpg.

โ€œFuel economyโ€ is in having a plan. Records.

1). The annual fuel budget is the context.
Reduce that (overall), and taking a trip isnโ€™t expensive.

2). Control of vehicle use year-round (combined trips; no cold starts or idle time).

3). Constant use of cruise control on highway.
A speed that keeps one from lane-changing (62-mph, tops).

4). Trip plan. Stops known in advance.
Start time and end time are both early (to avoid traffic volume).

If this was a logic problem, no one would ask. But itโ€™s America, thus itโ€™s emotional. Getting used to daily spending more on fuel than one does in a week (is the hurdle).

Itโ€™s also become the land of bad drivers, almost without exception.

Failure to maintain adequate vehicle spacing is the glaring one. Neon.
A football field is about right for minimum distance. Solo.

Fail at this, and nothing else will matter.

Safety & Fuel Economy track one another almost 90% or more.
Bad FE is the same as unsafe driving, in other words.
(FE means tested. Combined versus solo where solo weight is only missing the trailer hitched. Not a number pulled from your ___. )

Tires and brakes should last 70k or more.
Tire rotation should almost be unnecessary.

โ€œโ€œBut, but, I donโ€™t wanna do that!โ€

Yeah, I know. I have to drive among you.
Daily. Hundreds of miles

Your fathers & grandfathers were better drivers.
In that better society men LOOKED AROUND to ensure their end of cooperation.
Thatโ€™s gone, now.

Keep records. Test. Formulate a plan. Use discipline.

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel Cummins 5.9 at 61-65mph highway
Small trailer, fold down to truck cap height 16-17.
23 foot HILO trailer, slightly higher than truck cap, 15-17.
Truck camper (very aero TC) pulling cargo trailer 15-17.
Towing in Rockies I have seen 20, but that is with a manual shift and coasting downhill a great deal. Hills that I can coast down always give me much better mpg with diesel because it is so over-powered/ over-torqued for hauling campers that the hills do not take a toll going up, and are free going down.
Better mpg in CO than in FL for sure.

The same thing with a gas motor, 10-12.

You are not stupid, you already know, and everyone reading, not everyone posting, knows that each person has unique mpg numbers, but if you read enough you start to have enough data to graph the numbers in your head and understand the bell curve aspect and what is normal, what is possible, and what is just bad.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP posted the question almost 3 weeks ago and hasnt been back to comment or clarify, so typical โ€œbustโ€ of a thread!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wanderingbob wrote:
Kinda a goofy question ! What kind of truck ? What engine ? What trailer ? What terrain ? Highway Speeds ? Night or day ?

Thatโ€™s why I covered all the bases in my initial reply .
1500-5000rpms and 6-18mpg.
Question answered...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kinda a goofy question ! What kind of truck ? What engine ? What trailer ? What terrain ? Highway Speeds ? Night or day ?

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1996 F250 diesel with an automatic and 3.55 differential.

At 60mph in overdrive on the flats, I'm at 1500 rpm and can usually depend on 14mpg towing a 27 foot Jayco travel trailer. Things change a bit when geared down in the big hills and on mountain grades.