Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: Trailer hitch
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Trailer hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Jasonmorford82

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/20 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For some reason I have problems backing up my camper and my other trailers. However, I can drive a school bus in my sleep. I have been looking for a product that would make the hitch stationary instead of turning on the ball. I would not be using this often or long just long enough to back it out. Anyone know of a product or a mod that would work. I thought of using wire cables or a steel tube to slide over the hitch, or even some sort of makeshift clamp. Any ideas?

I know what you all are thinking, just learn, but the last time I went camping even the campground owner had problems.

Lwiddis

Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“looking for a product that would make the hitch stationary instead of turning on the ball.”

Have you considered the mechanical dynamics of your idea?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ROBERTSUNRUS

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] Hi, put you hand on the bottom of your steering wheel; The trailer will go in the direction that your hand does. Hand to the right, trailer goes right Etc.

"> Bob ">
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/20 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I can appreciate your issue (I have had it happen to me working at an RV dealer switching from towable to MH) I would think making the tow vehicle and trailer non-flexible is going to put loads in places not intended for loads. I would also think your turning radius is going to be bigger, as you wont be able to "follow" the trailer around the curves.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How are you going to move it with the rear tires removed on the TV? Because that's the only way your idea will work! There is too much resistance on the rear tires. So when solidly mounted like you want it will not turn. Period!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nv Guy wrote:

While I can appreciate your issue (I have had it happen to me working at an RV dealer switching from towable to MH) I would think making the tow vehicle and trailer non-flexible is going to put loads in places not intended for loads. I would also think your turning radius is going to be bigger, as you wont be able to "follow" the trailer around the curves.

This is the issue.
The bottom wheel grip, have heard for a long time, never worked for me. But I backed for a long time before I heard it.
IMHO, the first step is learn to back a vehicle. Once you know, and understand where you need to put the front of the vehicle you are setting in to get the rear to go where you want it, you can start thinking about the trailer.
What path does the front of the trailer need to follow to get the rear where you want it? Now back the TV so the center of rear follows that path.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/20 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never heard of such a device, and I cannot wrap my head around how it would work.
You just need to learn how to back.
I have hauled trailers and my RV sporadically for years. I was never really good at backing, (maybe make the first shot 60% of the time.)
We just returned from a 96 day road trip. I can now put that trailer anyplace, including parallel parking. Left side passenger side, doesn't matter.
Why? repetition and necessity.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a bunch of flat tires, bent rims, and accidents in your idea. the back of the trailer will swing into the next couple lanes every time you turn.

Plus. you will have to make casters out of the trailer axles so that it can move sideways

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are all misunderstanding the OP's question.

What he wants, is to hold the trailer straight behind the truck ONLY when he's backing up.

Answer's the same, though: It's not going to work.

Why? Because it will never be perfectly straight. If there's any sort of inconsistency in the driving surface, or even a gust of wind, the trailer will start to turn all on its own. You can't "hold" that with a rigid link. The forces will just increase until something breaks.

Short of trading up to one of those Fords with the trailer backing assistant, your only solution here is to learn how to back a trailer. There's nothing wrong with your tow vehicle or the trailers. The fact that the RV park owner had problems means nothing. They own the campground, they don't camp. You just need to figure out what works for you.

The biggest mistake I see people making is oversteering. To back up straight you only need SMALL corrections. Yet, they're sawing at the wheel like a lumberjack, flinging it from stop to stop.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a couple of orange cones, hitch up your trailer, and head for the nearest Walmart, mall, or school parking lot.

Practice, practice, practice.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Trailer hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.