cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

95 Bounder 34J--rear leafs--shop recommendation

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
I took the Bounder to a shop yesterday to have the front end aligned. It was not far off, but it did need a bit of adjustment. RF tire was at 120psi. The front axle is tight. No issues. KYB up front, Bilsteins in the rear.

The overhang is a concern. That rear swing.The overhang is a concern. That rear swing.

Shop recommended that I have them add extra leaf spring in the rear to bring the back end up higher. Fleetwood in their ultimate decision to put such a long extension on the frameset the ball in motion back in the late 90's.

My quote was about $1300 or so.

The question is why can't we do what we did as kids. Add shackles. Raise the rear up by adding longer shackles?

I am going to talk to a spring shop today about building me several leaves, then have my regular man put the leaves in the rear, if I go that way. The shop I was at yesterday does brakes and big rig front alignments. They had several Class A pushers in there doing brakes, they seem to be competent.

But I have a local shop that does most of my automotive work. It is just getting 34ft Motorhome in and around into his shop and business.

So what do you all think? The shop yesterday said by getting the backend up higher and more weight on the front suspension, it might drive better without being pushed around by large trucks as they pass me.

Bounder from a distance in Paso Robles California last week.

https://postimg.cc/jLP219Qw
18 REPLIES 18

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest that restoring proper spring rate (and therefore ride height) WILL improve ride. Shocks are back to mid travel, far less bottoming out, etc.

I think we can all agree that the only bad answer is to do nothing and continue to bottom out the suspension over the smallest bumps.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Not sure I agree. If the rear is heavy enough that the rear is sagging, adding a leaf to bring it back to factory spec should not make for a harsh ride.

Yes, the springs have become weaker over the years. An added leaf should restore their deflection per pound/force.

Of course if the IS something that concerns you, another option to restore ride height without adding to spring rate is to have a SPACER added. Did that on our Safari DP with leaf spring suspension. Worked just fine. Note: Did not do it because of sagging axle, but side to side lean due to all heavy things on one side of the coach.

But all that extra metal does nothing to improve the ride.
Where as adding air bags to sagging leaf springs improves the ride.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
Bags are the answer, way cheaper, totally adjustable.
Any spring change is permanent or spend more money.
My guess is poor weight placement making the front end too light.
I had a 1974 Winnebago Indian that had two 30 lb LP tanks, generator, fuel and water tanks behind rear axle.
It was MISERABLE to drive over 40 mph, semi's would blow it 1/2 a lane sideways and you had to always watch the mirrors for up coming traffic to compensate!

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
Any recommendations on the set of airbags I should invest in for this Bounder?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I agree. If the rear is heavy enough that the rear is sagging, adding a leaf to bring it back to factory spec should not make for a harsh ride.

Yes, the springs have become weaker over the years. An added leaf should restore their deflection per pound/force.

Of course if the IS something that concerns you, another option to restore ride height without adding to spring rate is to have a SPACER added. Did that on our Safari DP with leaf spring suspension. Worked just fine. Note: Did not do it because of sagging axle, but side to side lean due to all heavy things on one side of the coach.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
RustyMacIntosh wrote:
I was told by one shop, put Firestone bags in the rear. Another said a single leaf--which would be a more harsh ride, but hold the weight better

I need to research what others with the F53 frame have done to correct the steering wonder.

I was told the same thing. I had a new set of springs put on and inquired about extra leafs. They said the same thing. I was not happy with the added rear height so a few years later
i added "Air Lift air bags to the rear. They were close enough to the exhaust pipes so
i added header wrap to the pipes. I was able to get the rear end up a couple of inches and boy it made a big difference in the ride. A lot smoother. Do the air bags. I run around 60psi. Max is 100psi.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
RustyMacIntosh wrote:

I'm certain I am overweight on that back axle, with the fresh water tank and the gas tank, and my Chihuahua sleeping on the bed I am certain it is overweight, why Fleetwood did this model is beyond me, but, in 95, I was tugging a 18 foot Prowler around behind my 1980 F100,,,,,

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the Firestone Ride Rite.. They bolt right on, everything was in the kit and life time warranty. Amazon was the lowest cost at that time.

https://www.firestoneip.com/kit-search/

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
what recommendations does the crowd have on buying aftermarket air-bags for the rear of this coach? I looked at several on Amazon and eBay, but not sure which one would be the appropriate one for my F53 frame.

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer

I'm certain I am overweight on that back axle, with the fresh water tank and the gas tank, and my Chihuahua sleeping on the bed I am certain it is overweight, why Fleetwood did this model is beyond me, but, in 95, I was tugging a 18 foot Prowler around behind my 1980 F100,,,,,

RustyMacIntosh
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
You didn't mention which chassis you have but when you say "front axle", I'll assume a Ford F53. Chevy P32 have IFS.
Due to sagging rear springs on my 95 32H Bounder, I added rear air bags. The air bags allow for height adjustment and really smooth out the ride in back. I would do it again.
Take the easy and economical way out and add air bags to the rear axle.
Fleetwood built closely to the rear shackles and removing the bolts will require drilling holes in the storage compartments.
Firestone ride-rite air bags mount into original holes in the frame and are a easy install for a DIY person.

The graphics on you coach would indicate you have a 96 Bounder not a 95. 95 Bounders didn't have the brown paint around the front windows. But then again, you're in CA and they titled you 96 coach on a 95 chassis as a 95. ๐Ÿ˜ž
If you ever care to contest the titling issue, 95 Bounders and back are 8 feet wide where you Bounder is 8ยฝ feet wide.

Richard

titled 96, 95 build, sold in Jan 96....its the big wide-body one

they want $1200 for added leaves, I am thinking the airbags is the way to go now

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
RustyMacIntosh wrote:
I dont know how the front tire was so high, I had tires put on it in Oct, my I'm been watching the rears, I never paid much attention to the front

We are going to weigh the MH this afternoon

If your coach has a Ford F53 chassis, your tires are 235/85R16. In single tire configuration, your tires will carry 3042 lbs ea @ 80 psi and 2773 @ 80 psi in dual tire configuration. That's 6,084 lbs of capacity for your front tires and 11,092 lbs of capacity for your rear tires. You coach as built has a 6000 lb front axle and a 11,000 rear axle. So set your tires @ 80 psi. I can guarantee you will be running over weight on your rear axle any time you fill your 100 gallon fresh water tank.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't mention which chassis you have but when you say "front axle", I'll assume a Ford F53. Chevy P32 have IFS.
Due to sagging rear springs on my 95 32H Bounder, I added rear air bags. The air bags allow for height adjustment and really smooth out the ride in back. I would do it again.
Take the easy and economical way out and add air bags to the rear axle.
Fleetwood built closely to the rear shackles and removing the bolts will require drilling holes in the storage compartments.
Firestone ride-rite air bags mount into original holes in the frame and are a easy install for a DIY person.

The graphics on you coach would indicate you have a 96 Bounder not a 95. 95 Bounders didn't have the brown paint around the front windows. But then again, you're in CA and they titled you 96 coach on a 95 chassis as a 95. ๐Ÿ˜ž
If you ever care to contest the titling issue, 95 Bounders and back are 8 feet wide where you Bounder is 8ยฝ feet wide.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Extended shackles won't take the weight. Your coach is 25 years old,, new properly sized springs are in order. Don't try to band-aid it, safety is paramount here.