Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 95 Bounder 34J--rear leafs--shop recommendation
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> 95 Bounder 34J--rear leafs--shop recommendation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what recommendations does the crowd have on buying aftermarket air-bags for the rear of this coach? I looked at several on Amazon and eBay, but not sure which one would be the appropriate one for my F53 frame.

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the Firestone Ride Rite.. They bolt right on, everything was in the kit and life time warranty. Amazon was the lowest cost at that time.

https://www.firestoneip.com/kit-search/

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RustyMacIntosh wrote:

I'm certain I am overweight on that back axle, with the fresh water tank and the gas tank, and my Chihuahua sleeping on the bed I am certain it is overweight, why Fleetwood did this model is beyond me, but, in 95, I was tugging a 18 foot Prowler around behind my 1980 F100,,,,,

* This post was edited 02/09/20 10:47am by 1968mooney *

Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RustyMacIntosh wrote:

I was told by one shop, put Firestone bags in the rear. Another said a single leaf--which would be a more harsh ride, but hold the weight better

I need to research what others with the F53 frame have done to correct the steering wonder.

I was told the same thing. I had a new set of springs put on and inquired about extra leafs. They said the same thing. I was not happy with the added rear height so a few years later
i added "Air Lift air bags to the rear. They were close enough to the exhaust pipes so
i added header wrap to the pipes. I was able to get the rear end up a couple of inches and boy it made a big difference in the ride. A lot smoother. Do the air bags. I run around 60psi. Max is 100psi.

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure I agree. If the rear is heavy enough that the rear is sagging, adding a leaf to bring it back to factory spec should not make for a harsh ride.

Yes, the springs have become weaker over the years. An added leaf should restore their deflection per pound/force.

Of course if the IS something that concerns you, another option to restore ride height without adding to spring rate is to have a SPACER added. Did that on our Safari DP with leaf spring suspension. Worked just fine. Note: Did not do it because of sagging axle, but side to side lean due to all heavy things on one side of the coach.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any recommendations on the set of airbags I should invest in for this Bounder?

Stim

NE Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bags are the answer, way cheaper, totally adjustable.
Any spring change is permanent or spend more money.
My guess is poor weight placement making the front end too light.
I had a 1974 Winnebago Indian that had two 30 lb LP tanks, generator, fuel and water tanks behind rear axle.
It was MISERABLE to drive over 40 mph, semi's would blow it 1/2 a lane sideways and you had to always watch the mirrors for up coming traffic to compensate!

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Not sure I agree. If the rear is heavy enough that the rear is sagging, adding a leaf to bring it back to factory spec should not make for a harsh ride.

Yes, the springs have become weaker over the years. An added leaf should restore their deflection per pound/force.

Of course if the IS something that concerns you, another option to restore ride height without adding to spring rate is to have a SPACER added. Did that on our Safari DP with leaf spring suspension. Worked just fine. Note: Did not do it because of sagging axle, but side to side lean due to all heavy things on one side of the coach.

But all that extra metal does nothing to improve the ride.
Where as adding air bags to sagging leaf springs improves the ride.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest that restoring proper spring rate (and therefore ride height) WILL improve ride. Shocks are back to mid travel, far less bottoming out, etc.

I think we can all agree that the only bad answer is to do nothing and continue to bottom out the suspension over the smallest bumps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> 95 Bounder 34J--rear leafs--shop recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.