cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best weight distribution hitch?

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to buy a new hitch when I buy a new trailer. Is there anything new on the market or is the E Z Lift still the best answer? I was just looking on line and it looks nothing had changed over the last ten years. Anything new I should look into before I buy another E Z Lift?
23 REPLIES 23

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is always fun to read the posts on W.D. Hitches. Gets to be like the battle between the Cummins owners and the rest of us mis-guided individuals. I've towed my whole life with a round bar and a friction sway control and works great. Nope, don't tow a 30ft trailer............but I have and it still works great. Most of the deal here is making sure whatever hitch you decide on is sized right and set up right. We owned an RV shop in Central California and the only hitches we installed were Eas-Lift round bar with either a hydraulic sway control or a friction sway control. Never heard a single issue of sway or bad ride. Point being, the premium ones are great, the Blue Ox, Equalizer and Eas-Lift sway integrated are great too, but NOTHING works right if it isn't sized or installed right.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
Sandia Man wrote:
With enough truck to properly haul your TT around, particularly at highway speeds, any of the WD hitches with integrated sway control should suffice. Those with less than ideal towing combos, whether it is due to not enough truck or poorly designed trailers, usually resort to Hensley or Propride hitches to achieve a sense of towing comfort while underway.

On the other hand, just because you have more than enough truck does not indicate you can forego a WD/SC hitch altogether, seen too many 350/3500 trucks crawling along the highway and still see their 30' TTs excessively swaying although they are towing well below posted speed limit. Properly set-up, TTs can be towed without noticeable sway, even when passing semi-trucks.

Yep. If a person needs a super hitch to tow with. they have more problems than sway control can fix

I agree that a โ€œsuper hitchโ€ is not a bandaid to fix a poor setup but for some of us its not a matter of โ€œneedโ€ but more of a want. If youโ€™ve ever tried one you will want it even if you donโ€™t need it.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

GT928
Explorer
Explorer
I switched to the Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch a couple of years ago. It is easy to install. Pulls smooth and quiet with no noticeable sway. It is so much better than my old one. I pull a 30' travel trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I can barely tell it is back there. It may be a bit more expensive, but definitely worth in my opinion.
2011 Earthbound Golden Ridge
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
North Georgia

johnd123
Explorer
Explorer
aaadss

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
The Andersen works very well for those of us who do not use it make up for a less than capable tow vehicle. If you have 1,000 of payload available and 1,200 pounds of tongue weight, look for something else. On the other hand, if you have 1,800 pounds of payload available and 800 pounds of tongue weight, you will love the clean, lightweight, quiet, easily adjustable Andersen.

I'll second this ^^^^
I've been using the Andersen for the last 6+ years and it has been excellent. As stated, if your tongue weight is within the limits for your tow vehicle, this is an excellent option.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™ve been really happy with my Blue Ox Sway Pro. Quiet, easy to set up.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I don't remember what make, but I got ours from etrailer. And been happy with it.

Dusty

Yep, that's one of the better ones.:B

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember what make, but I got ours from etrailer. And been happy with it.

Dusty

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sandia Man wrote:
With enough truck to properly haul your TT around, particularly at highway speeds, any of the WD hitches with integrated sway control should suffice. Those with less than ideal towing combos, whether it is due to not enough truck or poorly designed trailers, usually resort to Hensley or Propride hitches to achieve a sense of towing comfort while underway.

On the other hand, just because you have more than enough truck does not indicate you can forego a WD/SC hitch altogether, seen too many 350/3500 trucks crawling along the highway and still see their 30' TTs excessively swaying although they are towing well below posted speed limit. Properly set-up, TTs can be towed without noticeable sway, even when passing semi-trucks.

Yep. If a person needs a super hitch to tow with. they have more problems than sway control can fix
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
You asked for the best....Hensley or Propride hands down. Nothing else compares. Before that I used an Equil-I-zer. It did a good job too but itโ€™s no Hensley.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The Andersen works very well for those of us who do not use it make up for a less than capable tow vehicle. If you have 1,000 of payload available and 1,200 pounds of tongue weight, look for something else. On the other hand, if you have 1,800 pounds of payload available and 800 pounds of tongue weight, you will love the clean, lightweight, quiet, easily adjustable Andersen.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 4 different trailers in the last 15 yrs and apon selling them, yanked my old trusty Reese DC off everyone and reinstalled at dealers lot.....heavy but very robust and effective.

I do hear good things about the Equalizer but have no experience.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with the EZ-Lift for about 9 years and it worked OK. It's the original weight distributing hitch introduced around 1957 which many have copied and many make a knock off of it, even Harbor Freight. It works but it's old technology with its add-on friction sway control.

IMO the most popular upgrades (in no particular order) are the Equal-I-Zer with 4 pt sway control, the Reese Dual Cam (I think they call it something else now) and the Blue Ox Pro. A buddy has the Blue Ox and really likes it.
The Reese Dual Cam has a big following.

Most of these are in the $500-$600 range as I recall. Any of those 3 should serve you well.

As mentioned, the Hensley Arrow and the Pro Ride are truly the gold standard but north of 2 grand new. They're fantastic but I can count on one hand the number I've seen in 16 years of towing a trailer. I've seen them available used from $600 to $1400.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II