cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 30 amp outlet next to our TT in the lot but the breaker is in the garage a distance away. so I want to install a 30amp plug with a breaker in the box also so I can shut the power off right at the box when plugging and unplugging the TT into it to save me walking a 100 ft to the breaker box...
I will be buying this box from amazon...
30 amp box and breaker

My question is does anyone have a site to show me how to wire the breaker to the outlet in the box??? checked utube but nothing that I found that shows this, only how to just wire the 30 amp outlet only....thanks
65 REPLIES 65

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
if your not 100% sure of what your doing???? get done by somebody that does, its not hard,just has to be right. even a buddy with some electric skills.

SEDCOND and warning: I have read bad advice in this thread.
this is best advice.. I will add to it.

After the pro puts in the new box.. Measure the voltage EASIEST way to do this is is a 15-30 Puck adapter (no need for a dog bone) and a plug in volt meter from your RV store. You can also use a multi-meter (many are cheaper) but not all have probes long enough to reach the contacts in the outlets. Proper is 115-120
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
joelyn wrote:
OK received the box today and as ya'll said it seems pretty straight forward. Just one question about the ground wire, green... as seen in the attached picture there are 2 place to put the green wire.. not sure if it matters, but do I put the green ground wire into the silver lug attached to the box or do I put it to the screw where the box ground wire is now attached???? black goes to black and white to white as i have outlined in the picture...... just asking about where to attach the ground. thanks to all again for the help

Click For Full-Size Image.

I know this an olde thread but I would ditch the crimp connector at the outlet. No need for them. And not recommended for this kind of application. Why have 2 connection points at the same spot. Remove the connectors and connect the wire directly to the outlet!

I see what you are saying, but, the wiring from the house is most likely Romex and will be stiffer than the stranded wire that the manufacturer used for all three jumpers going to the socket when they made the shore power box.

That shore power box was designed and prewired so all one has to do is wire the Romex to the terminals provided.

It was built to code, passes code and therefore no reason to modify it from the way it was originally designed and wired.

If one was making a box like this from scratch one could just use all solid wire and be done with all of the stranded pig tails if one wished to make it that way.. The downside of all solid wire is wrestling the socket into place, stranded wire twists and turns much easier..

No downside to the way it was made..

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your best move is to just put the GROUND wire from the house into the two screw block and call it a day. There is no benefit to pigtailling it to the screw in the photo. However, there is also no downside to pigtailling it either.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
OK received the box today and as ya'll said it seems pretty straight forward. Just one question about the ground wire, green... as seen in the attached picture there are 2 place to put the green wire.. not sure if it matters, but do I put the green ground wire into the silver lug attached to the box or do I put it to the screw where the box ground wire is now attached???? black goes to black and white to white as i have outlined in the picture...... just asking about where to attach the ground. thanks to all again for the help

I know this an olde thread but I would ditch the crimp connector at the outlet. No need for them. And not recommended for this kind of application. Why have 2 connection points at the same spot. Remove the connectors and connect the wire directly to the outlet!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:

There is something missing in the picture. You can see that the green is of 2 different gauges. How and where are they connected? I am guessing that they should both go to one side of the ground lug and then the incoming ground to the other side.

You're replying to a two year old thread, but the apparent size difference in the wires is due to the camera angle and distance. Note that the black and white wires are also distorted.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
joelyn wrote:
joelyn wrote:

installing this box this weekend for my TT and a quick question. as far as the ground goes, does it hurt to pig tail my ground green wire and screw it to the lug on the box and also to the screw where the existing ground wire is now in the box.. does it matter if its grounded twice in the same box?????? thanks

There is something missing in the picture. You can see that the green is of 2 different gauges. How and where are they connected? I am guessing that they should both go to one side of the ground lug and then the incoming ground to the other side.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:

installing this box this weekend for my TT and a quick question. as far as the ground goes, does it hurt to pig tail my ground green wire and screw it to the lug on the box and also to the screw where the existing ground wire is now in the box.. does it matter if its grounded twice in the same box?????? thanks

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
As they said green goes to the lug that is mounted to the box. If you want to go one step further use an ohm meter or a continuity test light to check from the neutral lug to the box itself. There should be NO connection or continuity from neutral to the box. If you were to check that after its wired it would appear that there IS continuity because the neutral and ground ARE bonded (connected) at the source (main panel).

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Put the green gnd wire to the lug, that's what it's for. Electrically same as the screw connection. This is considered a " sub-feed panel " which is why the white neutral has no connection to the gnd circuit.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
The lug for the ground
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Green goes to the terminal block just above the word GREEN in the diagram

Black and white as you noted.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Connect the supply ground to the lug mounted on the box wall. The whole box becomes a ground connection so the green wire is fine where itโ€™s at.

PERFECT, i thought that but figured i would make sure... always received the right info on many things over the many years on this forum. AGAIN, THANK U ALL FOR SHARING UR KNOWLEDGE...

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Green goes in the connector similar to the Neutral.

THANK U, JUST MAKING SURE..

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Connect the supply ground to the lug mounted on the box wall. The whole box becomes a ground connection so the green wire is fine where itโ€™s at.