Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelyn wrote:

Have a 30 amp outlet next to our TT in the lot but the breaker is in the garage a distance away. so I want to install a 30amp plug with a breaker in the box also so I can shut the power off right at the box when plugging and unplugging the TT into it to save me walking a 100 ft to the breaker box...
I will be buying this box from amazon...
30 amp box and breaker

My question is does anyone have a site to show me how to wire the breaker to the outlet in the box??? checked utube but nothing that I found that shows this, only how to just wire the 30 amp outlet only....thanks

Since you already have a breaker supplying overcurrent protection to the receptacle, all you need is a non-fused service disconnect like the type used with outside AC condenser units. You can find these at any electrical supply house and most building supply companies. Most of these will have two poles for 240 vac use, however, only use one side of the disconnect and run only the black wire through the contacts. The white neutral wire should not be routed through the switch contacts and should just be junctioned straight through the box. The ground conductor should be bonded to the switch enclosure.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

I don't understand a park owner saying "doesn't hurt", as he will be paying for pedestal component up keep, as well as having to listen to customer complaints concerning the burnt, or worn receptacles.

Jerry
Because many of them just ignore maintenance. I have told several about bad grounds, reverse polarity, worn connectors. They all just stare like a deer in your headlights. I use an adapter to draw power from the 50a and all is fine with me. Next year, not fixed. Very sad.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 01:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Curious why not run 50A wire and 50A pedestal so you are wired for the future?

4 conductor cable of a larger gauge is significantly more expensive. Also the box will be more expensive.

And since most people don't run 2-3 air/con units while at home, even if you get a 50amp rig some day in the future, it's usually not needed.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just to note, that link is for a refurnished unit.

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tarnold wrote:

which one is that???

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An issue that not many people think about when plugging in their RV that is wired for 50A service: many people "rock" the plug into the outlet rather than make sure that all 4 prongs make contact simultaneously. So, you get contact in this order: Ground, L1 and L2, and Neutral - in that order. There is a brief period of time where you will have 240V applied to the plug. Does it hurt things? Maybe - maybe not - but I prefer to err on the side of caution and switch the power OFF before I plug in...

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

An issue that not many people think about when plugging in their RV that is wired for 50A service: many people "rock" the plug into the outlet rather than make sure that all 4 prongs make contact simultaneously. So, you get contact in this order: Ground, L1 and L2, and Neutral - in that order. There is a brief period of time where you will have 240V applied to the plug. Does it hurt things? Maybe - maybe not - but I prefer to err on the side of caution and switch the power OFF before I plug in...

Several busy large parks, that I visit, have pedestals stating "turn breaker off, when plugging in/out". One SP adds this as well "be sure plug is in solid, use stretch strap to secure if needed". I do think the 50 amp are a tighter fit, but what you say about rocking makes sense.

Jerry

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" I prefer to err on the side of caution and switch the power OFF before I plug in..."

THAT is how it's SUPPOSED to be done!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joelyn wrote:

tarnold wrote:

which one is that???

Your very first post, scroll down to “product description “....”this refurbished product was tested...

joelyn

Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/20 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

I JUST RECEIVED MY PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES PROTECTOR THIS WEEK AND IN THE INSTRUCTIONS it says disconnect power, plug unit into the pedestal and reapply power. Wait for the unit to do its check of the electric connections. Once done disconnect power again and than plug in the RV to the unit and than reapply power and wait until u here a click which than sends power to the RV..
That is kind of why I want to install the breaker in the box to avoid walking back and forth to the garage to throw the breaker in there. Feet don't work that good like they use to, LOL...
Thanks to all again for the help and advice...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> wiring a 30 Amp Power Outlet 30A Circuit Breaker {{UPDATE}}
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.