cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida toll charges

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not certain if we can swing this, but, we're looking into a Florida Keys visit. How can I find out the approximate toll fees for a tow vehicle and a 30 foot travel trailer from Orlando to the top of the Keys?
Also, can anyone tell me what type of toll pass would be the best? I don't think I'll ever use any other toll roads other than Florida, so I won't need anything later on.
As a side note, the Keys seem to be very expensive for everything--not complaining, as I understand. The costs are almost out weighing the return.
13 REPLIES 13

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all of you. Now we have an idea of the way to go and the cost. We love Florida and the folks there, so we might head down that way.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we went down last year, I think it ended up being about $50 each way. It was pricey, but no traffic the whole way.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Couple more things...

The E-Pass is becoming the preferred way to go because it's good for use in 18 states. The cost is less for both the transponder and the barcode sticker. The OP said he was in the Orlando area and E-Pass has walk-in locations there. If you go with SunPass, you can get your transponder or barcode sticker in most Walgreens in Florida and call them to setup your account right away.

The cost of gas in Naples and at the Pilot at the corner of US-41 and Krome Ave are much higher than what I've seen further down into Homestead and out on Key Largo so don't let them freak you out like it did me when I went past them.

Florida charges by the axle as most states I've been through. A motorhome and car = 4 axles (unless you've got a tag axle). A tow vehicle and trailer w/2 axles = 4 axles. If you've got 5 axles, you pay the same rate as tractor trailer which is the highest. Not only are the attendants gone from the toll plazas, the toll plazas are gone! All that's left is a framework holding the cameras and transponder sensors. You don't even slowdown for them.

The traffic around the Miami area is crazy. Everyone seems to be in a big hurry to get to the next light before you by switching lanes. The volume of traffic is as heavy and anything you'll ever see. I don't remember it being nearly this bad the last time we were down this way 4 years ago. There's construction everywhere meaning it will only be getting worse.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
I second the idea of getting the SunPass. I got one for a trip to Keys as well. I do not recall having to get it in person. The SunPass site indicates it is still available on line at a price of $4.99 and will be mailed to you 4 to 5 days after you apply for one. I am referring to the "Mini-Transponder" which goes on the windshield below the rear view mirror alongside, and in addition to, any other toll tags such as the TxTag, which I have here in Texas. You preload the account with $20 or so and give them a valid credit card, which allows them to replenish the balance as needed while you use it. After your trip, I recall you can request your account be closed and the balance refunded, usually something on the order of $10-$20. I have left mine open and used it again on the another trip to the Orlando area. It basically works in similar fashion to turnpike networks around the country, such as Texas, Kansas and the Northeast.

I found that having one is handy, not only on the Florida Turnpike, but on several of the toll roads around Miami and Alligator Alley (I-75 between the Miami metropolitan area and Naples).
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
We did a complete winter in 18-19 in Florida and never towed the trailer on a toll road. From Crystal River to Kissimmiee to Pompano Beach to Wauchula to Fort Meyers Beach to Wauchula to Pompano Beach to Clermont to Port Orange to Clermont to Ormond Beach to Kissimmiee to Pompano Beach to Flagler Beach to Georgia.

In 2015 we did Busnell to Fort Lauderdale to Key West to Fort Lauderdale to Daytona.

Telling what tolls will be? It is difficult.

The Florida Turnpike is pretty straight forward once you learn their system. The conglomeration of smaller toll roads and rate setting political entities ??? who knows.

I'm not against toll roads, but it appears any new road construction in the state, or widening project - turns the road into a toll road. Orlando is an example. Basically there is ONE freeway which is not a toll road - I-4.

Every other freeway seems to be a toll road. Some toll roads are only for 3 or 4 miles. You won't even know it is coming up unless you have done detailed trip planning.

And you end up paying three times as much for a towed two axle TT as for a single vehicle with two axles.

But I do have a Sun Pass and used it many times for local driving in the pickup.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Coming down the west coast do as others have said to avoid the tolls. 41 is not a bad drive, lots of gators to see. Just gas up before heading on 41.

If you venture up the East coast you should do the Turnpike for sure. I95 is murder around Miami area.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I always use The Tamiami Trail / US-41 when I come down this way. Unless I get behind a tourist, I travel along at 50-60mph. The little bit of extra time never bothered me. It's a great two lane highway. When I leave the end of March, I'll probably go back that way or use US-27 up towards Frostproof to visit some friends there. Krome Ave - Florida 997 becomes US-27 as it crosses US-41.
Don Ford
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
As another option, come south on I-75 and get off at the Collier Ave exit in Naples (the last exit on I-75 before it becomes a toll road). Take it south to US-41 (The Tamiami Trail) which parallels I-75 across southern Florida. Turn south on Florida 997 (Krome Ave) which runs into US-1 just south of Florida City
---------------------------------------------------------------------
True but you are adding many miles and hours to your trip. Depends on whether you value your time minimally. You do get to visit the Shark Valley unit of the Everglades NP.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
You can get a "SunPass" transponder at Walgreens for $19.99 and put it on your windshield or get a barcode sticker for $4.99. Precharge your account with $25 and set automatic recharge to trigger at $10 charge your card for another $25. That's the best way. If you let them bill your plate, they tack on a service fee.

WELCOME TO SUNPASS - Florida's Prepaid Toll Program
Call them on the phone to set up your account - it can't be done online (ask me how I know).

I was just down on Key Largo a week ago - I was surprised to see gas prices at $2.39 much the same as in Homestead/Florida City. Camping fees at private parks are upwards of $1200 depending how close you are to Key West. While that price is quite high for my taste, the lots are often so small you may not be able to open your door let alone put out your awning.

Another option is E-Pass (which I wish I had known about before I bought the SunPass transponder)
E-PASS vs. SunPass: Which is better for drivers on Florida toll roads?

E-PASS stickers are free.
E-PASS portable transponders are $9.95.
E-PASS Xtra, which costs $18.50, works in 18 states; SunPass does not have a similar, upgraded version.
Get E-Pass - Which E-PASS is right for you?

As another option, come south on I-75 and get off at the Collier Ave exit in Naples (the last exit on I-75 before it becomes a toll road). Take it south to US-41 (The Tamiami Trail) which parallels I-75 across southern Florida. Turn south on Florida 997 (Krome Ave) which runs into US-1 just south of Florida City. No toll roads on this route and there's several attractions you may want to stop (and federal campgrounds). Try an airboat ride with the Miccosukee Indians. Tamiami Trail: Scenic drive exploring Everglades
Don Ford

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
agesilaus wrote:
Do not stay off the turnpike, it has tolls but they are worth it to avoid the horrible south Florida traffic.

Is the same true of traffic on Saturday's?

Thx!

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do not stay off the turnpike, it has tolls but they are worth it to avoid the horrible south Florida traffic. EZPass is the one sold down here but you actually do not need one, the will mail you a bill in a month or so without one. The turnpike drops you about a mile from the beginning of the road down into the keys, right where there are a lot of gas stations. You want to fill up before going on since the prices in the keys are much higher.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As I understand it, if you take Hwy 1 or 96 the whole way there are no tolls as long as you stay out of the specifically marked lanes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
95, 75, us 41. All no toll roads. stay off the turn pike. b-line express.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.