Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Florida toll charges
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Florida toll charges

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I second the idea of getting the SunPass. I got one for a trip to Keys as well. I do not recall having to get it in person. The SunPass site indicates it is still available on line at a price of $4.99 and will be mailed to you 4 to 5 days after you apply for one. I am referring to the "Mini-Transponder" which goes on the windshield below the rear view mirror alongside, and in addition to, any other toll tags such as the TxTag, which I have here in Texas. You preload the account with $20 or so and give them a valid credit card, which allows them to replenish the balance as needed while you use it. After your trip, I recall you can request your account be closed and the balance refunded, usually something on the order of $10-$20. I have left mine open and used it again on the another trip to the Orlando area. It basically works in similar fashion to turnpike networks around the country, such as Texas, Kansas and the Northeast.

I found that having one is handy, not only on the Florida Turnpike, but on several of the toll roads around Miami and Alligator Alley (I-75 between the Miami metropolitan area and Naples).

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple more things...

The E-Pass is becoming the preferred way to go because it's good for use in 18 states. The cost is less for both the transponder and the barcode sticker. The OP said he was in the Orlando area and E-Pass has walk-in locations there. If you go with SunPass, you can get your transponder or barcode sticker in most Walgreens in Florida and call them to setup your account right away.

The cost of gas in Naples and at the Pilot at the corner of US-41 and Krome Ave are much higher than what I've seen further down into Homestead and out on Key Largo so don't let them freak you out like it did me when I went past them.

Florida charges by the axle as most states I've been through. A motorhome and car = 4 axles (unless you've got a tag axle). A tow vehicle and trailer w/2 axles = 4 axles. If you've got 5 axles, you pay the same rate as tractor trailer which is the highest. Not only are the attendants gone from the toll plazas, the toll plazas are gone! All that's left is a framework holding the cameras and transponder sensors. You don't even slowdown for them.

The traffic around the Miami area is crazy. Everyone seems to be in a big hurry to get to the next light before you by switching lanes. The volume of traffic is as heavy and anything you'll ever see. I don't remember it being nearly this bad the last time we were down this way 4 years ago. There's construction everywhere meaning it will only be getting worse.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we went down last year, I think it ended up being about $50 each way. It was pricey, but no traffic the whole way.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Blazing Zippers

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all of you. Now we have an idea of the way to go and the cost. We love Florida and the folks there, so we might head down that way.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Florida toll charges
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.