Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbies RVers

PatAbago
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Folks!
We are about to buy our first RV and have several questions:
1- What is the ideal length to navigate across the US without problems (including national parks)?
2- Diesel or GAS and why?
3- Are slideouts to be avoided or no known problems?
4- Ford or Mercedes?
5- For the same price, brand new Thor Axis 24.1 2018, or used Forrest SunSeeker 2800 GTS 2018 (2800 Miles) and why?
Thanks a lot for your help and hope to see you soon on he road!!
10 REPLIES 10

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every unit is a compromise. From what you described in your OP you will be doing more traveling than camping in one spot, so a smaller unit is better. Things to consider is how much stuff you want to bring with you, bikes, fishing gear, rafts or kayaks etc. Most NP's are dry camping along with NFS, SP's, COE, and BLM CG's. Smaller Class A'B's and C's have minimal storage and FW capacity (30-40 gals). I traveled in an 33 ft A and a small tow car for those reasons. Having said that knowing what I know now I would seriously look at a small TT with one slide out 18-24ft. Have have 50-60 gals of FW, and 2000 lbs or more CCC and can be pulled with a 1/2 ton truck. The ORV creek side has 78 gals of FW which is more than my A which has 60 gals. Once you set up camp you have the truck to explore with with out having to break camp. The full truck bed can be used to store your stuff. You lose this storage with a 5th wheel and a truck camper.The truck can also be used as a second vehicle when your not camping which will be most of the time if you are still working. Good luck in your search.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
packpe89 wrote:
Diesel if you plan to tow anything, much easier going in and out of trucks stops at the diesel pumps.

Better look at the 3.0 Mercedes diesels power vs the typical Chevy 6.0s of Ford 6.2s before making the statement about towing.

And don't be that guy using the big rig pumps to fuel up a glorified "van."
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel if you plan to tow anything, much easier going in and out of trucks stops at the diesel pumps.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
25 feet max if you want to fit everywhere
Diesel
Slide outs are good but add weight.
Mercedes
Take your pick

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and travel quite a bit.

Prefer pull behind, 25ft box feels just right for 2.
To small, you start feeling confined on long trips,to long your limited to where you can go.

Newer gas engines have much better towing capacity today,less maintenance cost.

Don't even consider an RV without a slide,had both.

Class ABC's wouldn't work for our style but appeal to others.

After all these years we still prefer State parks all over the country and carry a small Bass boat in truck bed, won't be without it.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in a similar position (I have a 20ft Toy hauler/Transit) but have
been looking at a Class C or B+ for a couple of cross country trips.

This will be for my wife and myself; I've been looking at max 24ft.
Easier to drive and able to get into tight spaces, easier to park
at shopping malls.

Diesel or gas - don't think it makes much difference for me. I looked
at Mercs - very nice but the diesel Transit has caught my eye. Why?
if you breakdown in the middle of nowhere there is always a Ford dealer nearby.

I prefer a slide-out for the extra room - I've never had a problem
with my slide out on my older TT. Also you get tend to get a better
sofabed with the slide out and room to move around.

Axis or ??? : I've looked at a couple of Axis - you do get a lot of RV
for the money. The Axis is on my list as I probably won't keep the
RV for more than a couple of years; I still prefer a pull behind TT/TH. I was not TOO impressed with the workmanship/quality but then
it's built down to a price; The mechanicals are all FORD.

One item to think about. A Class B/B+/C will have to be packed up
each time you want to go anywhere (like the local restaurant).
Unless you are willing to tow a car - which kind of defeats the
object of buying a small RV....
Gerry

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
First thing to do is ask the wife what SHE wants....4 slides, walk-around bed, dining table and 4 chairs, 2-AC's, a recliner and a full-size bathtub....in a 22' coach.

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are talking about class c units, before you buy one go and rent one from cruise america for a week than you can figure out what you like and don't like.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Review this chart for National Park RV lengths.

https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/National-Park-Trailer-Length-Chart.pdf

A slide or slides make a small RV much larger at the campsite.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
I’m surprised PATABAGO is asking about a Thor.

You all know what I think, but please, someone help the newbie and maybe suggest where he can spend the night between campgrounds in his new-to-him RV. :B

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36