cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Class C

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s what I’m looking for. I know they exist because I’ve seen them, but I can’t seem to find any manufacturer making them new. And I’d like a new one.

I’ve got a 15 year old Class A DP that I’ve had since new. Yeah it’s got plenty of space and is great when parked, but we don’t stay in one place a long time. What I’m looking for is a compact Class C motorhome similar to the ones you see on the Sprinter chassis, but not on the Sprinter Chassis. I want the capability of going on long cross country trips without a toad but I also want to be able to go on local trips and bring the Ford Ranger toad. The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it.

So what I’m looking for is a Class C Compact, on a Ford F-450 or similar chassis with the V-10 gas engine (or GM equivalent. I want something in the 24 to 26 foot range with the narrow body. And I’ve seen them on the road, but I can’t find anybody making a new one. Seems like everything is on a Sprinter chassis or one of the Transit van chassis and they have the small chassis and only a few thousand pound towing capacity. Anybody have any idea which manufacture is making these new?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

27 REPLIES 27

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
I found my mistake. Apparently most manufacturers call what I’m looking for a Class B+. So once I entered that term in Google all kinds popped up. So problem solved.

Glad you clarified things as what you said you liked was not meshing with what you posted you were looking for. With that, check out the GulfStream BT Cruisers as they are a more budget friendly B+ model.

Gulfstream BT Cruiser

Gulfstream BT Cruiser brochure
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Phoenix Cruiser
X2

We own model 2350 that is 23'-8" long, end-to-end for model year 2007. We've had it 13 years now. They are still made today though a few inches longer now.
CLICK HERE to see many pictures of it, inside and outside.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I found my mistake. Apparently most manufacturers call what I’m looking for a Class B+. So once I entered that term in Google all kinds popped up. So problem solved.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:

Max tow capacity at GVWR = 4,220

Increasing the 4220 comes at the expense of reducing OCCC. I meticulously watched my OCCC, and by keeping it under was able to tow more weight than 4220. Have a Wrangler with stuff stuffed inside, and from memory it weighed in at about 4300 or so. As you said, many/most may run over.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
gemsworld wrote:
Many Sprinter mohos can tow 5,000 lbs.

Sprinter cab chassis GVWR = 11,030
Class C Sprinters run very close to or above GVWR
GCWR = 15,250
Max tow capacity at GVWR = 4,220
2009 Fleetwood Icon

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Phoenix Cruiser.
Many lengths, floor plans & colors. Ford 450 is popular, but I believe also available in diesel. Tons of options and customizable. A quality rig and a company that stands behind their product.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
Skid Row Joe wrote:
You're not going to find any Compact Cs, on the 2020 E450 Superduty chassis. Were you to find one, it'd be above the $130K price point new. A specialty off road type C.

I guess I don't quite understand what you mean above.

This Coach House Platinum 220 is a 23 foot pretty compact Class C (well maybe it's a Class C - there's no overhead cab bed area) ... and from everything I read on their website they only build this model line of theirs on the E450 Super Duty chassis. So wouldn't a 2020 Ford E450 Super Duty chassis be used under this RV if you ordered one this year?

https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/platinum/platinum-220/#dimensions

What you posted is exactly what I’m looking for. This particular model is on the expensive side, but it looks very well built. I’m collecting a list of all these I can find then I’ll figure out which is best for what I want to do. Thanks for the help. If you know of any other manufacturers who make these please post the links. The big guys like Winnebago don’t seem to make them anymore.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
FunTwoDrv wrote:
^ It appears the OP's concern is with the MB GCWR and not the hitch capacity.

Gary
But that's juxt opposed to the OP's requirements for a small Class C. So, that's not it. The 3500 Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis doesn't come any smaller than 3500 for a Class C cutaway. Sounds like he wants a Class B van. However, there's not one small E450 in a Class B. He's describing an E150, or E250, which again, is the basic van he's wanting.

Nope not what I’m looking for at all. People have already posted links to exactly what I’m looking for and they are available on the 450 Chassis and with the V-10. And if you do the actual math on the Sprinter Chassis motorhomes (not the vans) 5000 pound towed puts you over the GCVWR.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:

This Coach House Platinum 220 is a 23 foot pretty compact Class C (well maybe it's a Class C - there's no overhead cab bed area) ... and from everything I read on their website they only build this model line of theirs on the E450 Super Duty chassis.

If it's built on a cutaway chassis or a chassis cab, it's a Class C by definition. Whether there's any overcab bunk or entertainment center area is immaterial, although it is true that most people associate those features with class C motorhomes and the majority do have them.

What are marketed as "Class B+" motorhomes are Class C's per the standard definitions. Class B+ is a marketing term, not an official designation, and as such means whatever the marketers want it to mean; usually a relatively small, comparatively expensive class C with no overcab bunk.

(For completeness, "Class A" motorhomes are built on a custom/bare chassis, or bus/motorcoach chassis. "Class B" motorhomes are van conversions: a van body, maybe with a raised roof, with the RV stuck inside.)

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skid Row Joe wrote:
You're not going to find any Compact Cs, on the 2020 E450 Superduty chassis. Were you to find one, it'd be above the $130K price point new. A specialty off road type C.

I guess I don't quite understand what you mean above.

This Coach House Platinum 220 is a 23 foot pretty compact Class C (well maybe it's a Class C - there's no overhead cab bed area) ... and from everything I read on their website they only build this model line of theirs on the E450 Super Duty chassis. So wouldn't a 2020 Ford E450 Super Duty chassis be used under this RV if you ordered one this year?

https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/platinum/platinum-220/#dimensions
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
FunTwoDrv wrote:

Gary
But that's juxt opposed to the OP's requirements for a small Class C. So, that's not it. The 3500 Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis doesn't come any smaller than 3500 for a Class C cutaway. Sounds like he wants a Class B van. However, there's not one small E450 in a Class B. He's describing an E150, or E250, which again, is the basic van he's wanting.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer

Gary

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Here’s what I’m looking for. I know they exist because I’ve seen them, but I can’t seem to find any manufacturer making them new.

The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it.

"The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it."
WTF? How heavy is the Ranger? If it's too heavy, get a Wrangler.
I don't think he's done his homework. At #5,000 capacity, the 3500 Sprinter chassis easily can tow a smallish pickup.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer