cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel Trailer Roof leaks / repair questions

Hammerdown3512
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I need to travel trailer ownership and I just bought a 2015 Recreation by Design Royal 40'non park model with 2 slides.

I have a couple of questions.

I have a leak that I'm pretty sure is where part of the roof meets the sidewall I've been told this is a common area for leaks.

I've been looking at the products to coat roofs with. the dicor specifically, the tape, caulk and roof sealant.

Is this what I should be using for a metal roof?

Am I going about this the right way of sealing the roof entirely to see if that fixes the leak or is there other methods? I figure if I type up all the corners role good and still the entire roof and redo all the dicor around vents what not, ill most likey cure the leak.

Thoughts?

Thank you very much in advance. I'm fresh out of a divorce and I'm gonna have to live in this trailer for a year or 2 woth my kids so ive got to fix this right.
7 REPLIES 7

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I would take the approach you’re thinking about and also investigate the spray on coatings. They probably go on with an airless that you can rent almost anywhere for a 100 or less.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Make sure you clean the tape contact surfaces really well with whatever cleaner Dicor recommends for their tape. I'm assuming the Dicor tape is like Eternabond tape. So I would make sure you press down really hard on the tape with a roller of some kind to activate the adhesive.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Hammerdown3512
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
If that's a metal roof I'm seeing , would be much more efficient to use flex seal and brush it on....it's self leveling.

Do something ASAP.

I ordered several rolls a 4" dicor seal tape and 3 gallons of dicor metal roof sealant. I have the area covered up with a tarp right now so that it can't leak anymore. As soon as the weather is conducive I'm going to tape up all the joints a put 2 coats across the whole roof

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Pics are too big (s/b 480x640max) and those of us who are not PB members just see a distorted blob.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
If that's a metal roof I'm seeing , would be much more efficient to use flex seal and brush it on....it's self leveling.

Do something ASAP.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
If it was my trailer I would want to pressure test the whole roof. Usually a $100.00 project at the dealer but perhaps a mobile Technician could perform this test for you. Good Luck
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

Hammerdown3512
Explorer
Explorer
Here are pictures of my roof where I think it's leaking. Seam near right side of slide out. On the inside picture you can see the damage to the panel. Should I coat this entire roof after taking up all the seams and dicor sealing around all vents, etc? Or should i just seal the seams and forgo coating the roof?